3800 Flipping Adventure (Super Fancy '99 Olds Eighty Eight)

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I sorta teased this in the "Craigslist" thread but I figured I might as well make a short (hopefully) thread on the car.

My grandma and grandpa have been holding onto this 1999 Olds Eighty Eight 50th Anniversary Edition as a spare car for over five years. They bought it brand new, but it has really only recently driven up the street to the post office, library, ect which are all less than a mile away. Due to sitting without any action at all for the last three or so years, it's fallen into disrepair. The worst part in my opinion is the leaky moon roof which has trashed the rear leather. The car has an intermittent CEL and grandpa is tired of fixing this thing just to pass the bi-yearly cook county inspections. When he told me that he was going to give it to the first person who offered him $500 I pulled the reigns.

I always loved this car. The paint color is cool, and this was as fancy as an Oldsmobile got in '99. The memory power split bench seat with inflatable lumbar supports, dual digital climate control, and rear AC were pretty cool options for their time. Besides, its a 3800 NA H-body with 118k miles on the clock and very minimal rust, so you know it has a long life of comfortable and efficient motoring ahead! I couldn't let him sell it for that cheap, so I offered to fix and sell it for him. Truthfully, I'd love to sell my Volvo C30 with 194k and drive this Olds instead, but that's a hard pass from my fiance.

Here it is at my mom and dad's place in Lisle before I made the risk of being stranded somewhere in Indiana. Two of the tires were flat before I left, and grandpa had just informed me about how the car randomly decided to shut off some times without the ability to start up again. (y)
1621341849809.png

This dent is the reason why grandpa didn't sell the car before the last inspection! He got hit at the post office, and insurance paid him $1500. :ROFLMAO:
1621342106778.png

1621342120477.png

1621342138724.png

Yeah, I remember this thing needing intake gaskets over five years ago...
1621342925121.png

Yes, my grandpa was a little rough on the trip button. :ROFLMAO:
1621342965059.png

Made it past Gary, and filled it with fresh gas.
1621343058689.png

Drove it to work the next day and discovered that the auto-dimming compass mirror still works!
1621343113311.png

Up until the I got home from work, I hadn't had any issues. I thought that maybe this thing just needed it's juices flowing. But then.
1621343201548.png

I plugged in the scanner. It's just an EVAP code, but still not a good look if I'm trying to sell the car. I think a gas cap would be a good gamble.
1621343249722.png

...but I'm an idiot. AC comes first! I drew a vacuum for a half hour and witnessed it hold for a full hour. That's good enough for a flip, so filled it with 2lbs and a bit of dye. The digital controller only directs the air to the floor and defrosters for some reason, but cold air is cold air! ?
1621343362307.png

What a fleet!
1621343482073.png

Cleaning time. The air blows a lot stronger when the cowl isn't clogged with 10 lbs of tree poo. The wipers actually park now too!
1621343530431.png

Pressure washed
1621343585168.png

Used some dish soap to get all the sap off and then rewashed with car wash/wax. It still has a ton of sap on the roof that I'll address later, but it looks a ton better already!
1621343664482.png

1621343677438.png

There was a lot of shit in the door jam. lol I spent a couple minutes vacuuming each one before the wash.
1621343723531.png

The worst part of the car. Let's ignore it.
1621344050550.png

After the wash and AC charge, I was going to go for a cruise. I started it up and let it idle while I cleaned up my tools. Then suddenly the car shut off, and I couldn't get it going again. I guess I'll be addressing some real issues after all! I poked the fuel ril service port with the key on and only got a trickle. I'm going to gamble on the filter since it's cheap and easy. Stay tuned!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Swap the fuel pump relay and a horn or AC compressor relay. That many years in that many short Cycles would probably be enough to futz the contacts.

I really want this but I'm pretty poor right now. I could swap all the stuff from the 98 Park Avenue on to it and give my dad something that doesn't look like Rusty Swiss cheese

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Swap the fuel pump relay and a horn or AC compressor relay. That many years in that many short Cycles would probably be enough to futz the contacts.

I really want this but I'm pretty poor right now. I could swap all the stuff from the 98 Park Avenue on to it and give my dad something that doesn't look like Rusty Swiss cheese
Asking $2k, but I'll take less. ;)

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
If you're just looking for a motor you want to trade for the lot lizard/Park Avenue? 210000 MI and it goes from here to Gary then sitting a lot for a few weeks until my old man comes back off the road.
Is it an Ultra? I'm not quite sure how I would work out a trade yet because I'm supposed to split the sale money with Grandpa.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Official sale post!

I put a new gas cap on it and cleared the code. Check. I also installed the new fuel filter and saw how nasty the old one was. Check! After cycling the key a few times to prime the line, the car came to life and cruised around for ~40 miles. The AC blows cold although not necessarily where you want it, the CEL didn't come back, and the there were no hiccups. Time to get this thing out of here!

Reactions: Rdrnnr and m_dogg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I know the car has only been listed a day, but I feel like I need to do whatever it takes to make it more appealing to buyers. That is of course without spending too much money. Anyway, there were two little things that a potential buyer would notice pretty quickly that I figured would be quick fixes.

This has bothered the hell out of me for over ten years. The screws going into the vinyl failed pretty quickly. Then the duct tape obviously just left a mess.
1621466693581.png

I took the whole thing off, removed the switches, and let Goof Off do its thing.
1621467251816.png

Not bad!
1621467275675.png

Cleaned the switches a bit and reinstalled.
1621467287554.png

I actually feel pretty bad that I was able to fix this pretty decently so quickly. I think my grandpa would have appreciated it. On the other hand, I guarantee that it broke in the first place because he was using his jackhammer fingers to adjust the seat. :LOL: The one self tapper screw that I actually managed to hold into the door frame (behind the handle) would have held, but the rest of this panel probably would have cracked apart in a week. The goof off did well on the door panel too.
1621467331173.png

The other issue I wanted to play with was the shaky rear view mirror. It's super annoying and gives me a bit of a headache. It constantly needs to be adjusted too. It appears that grandpa was a bit rough with this too. The little metal clip is what secures the mirror assembly to the button on the windshield. The clip is held on by the smashed die cast buttons which were both broken and two plastic clips. One of those was broken beyond repair, so this whole thing was not held on by much!
1621468042972.png

I don't know if this will hold up or not, but it's worth a shot. I yanked the clip off, spooged some JB Weld on the under side of the clip, pushed it back into place so that the JB would squeeze out the holes, and then added a bit more on top for good measure.
1621468483183.png

Now I wait!

So far the only bites are a few "Is this still available" auto-replies, one guy who wanted to make installments (WTF the car isn't even $2k?‍♂️), and one guy who started speaking Spanish after a couple messages.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Damn. That mirror repair didn't work. The clip came off when I tried to install it. I need to come up with a different plan, and I need to figure it out fast because I got a couple conversations brewing. This might sound a bit crazy, but can I fill the die cast aluminum full of solder, let it harden, drill/tap small screw holes, and bolt the spring clip on? I would think that the solder would be a bit soft, but at least I could redo it if it failed. Does anybody know of any tricks for fixing broken shitty pot metal? I was thinking alumiweld, but I'm not sure how I would use it without melting the plastic surround.

Oh yeah.... I'm also an idiot for not waiting 24 hours for the JB to cure like I was supposed to. Maybe I should just try again, and be a bit more patient.

:snooppalm:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Put it on the passenger seat and tell them the truth it popped off in your hand and so you replaced it with a base model mirror what are they going to do offer you $25 less
True! I will look for one that I can snag quickly.

Until then, I'm doing science experiments. I found a sacrificial seal tight nut and bolt on my desk. The bolt head was the perfect size to seal up the hole in the bottom. Then I leaded it up!
1621515987379.png

That's not going anywhere. It drills like butter and taps like shit, but the softness is almost in my favor. I just wouldn't expect to be able to tighten the bolt more than once. I also kind of created a perfect place for the solder pool to latch on. Will it bite into the shitty pot metal or is it just going to fall right out? Not sure, but it certainly wouldn't be holding onto this seal tight connector if it wasn't threaded. Despite the success in the experiment, I believe I'm going to shelf this idea for now.
Lead experiment.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My team leader finally saw the above time waster on my desk, and laughed at me. Instead of telling me to get back to work, he suggested trying a 3M epoxy adhesive. This time I used another random piece of hardware from my desk with a smooth inner wall. It didn't grab super well, but the epoxy hadn't fully hardened either. So far, I like this idea better. The thing I'll have to figure out when I get home is how and where I'm going to drill. Spring steel does not like to be drilled, and the current holes are taken up by the remains of the pot metal base. This could get interesting. I have no way of testing any of that on the clock though, so I guess I'll just have to take a break. ? If push comes to shove, there's a universal windshield mount mirror at advance for $16.

Epoxy experiment.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Actually fixed! No more rattles!
1621643434795.png

Now I just need to hope that this guy shows up!
1621643480042.png

After a short test drive, no under-hood or under-body inspection, and no in-person haggling, I got to walk away from the Oldsmobile...
1621643590423.png

...with $1400 in my pocket! BOOM! When I called my grandpa to tell him the news, he sounded pretty shocked. He was convinced that I wouldn't get more than about $700 for the car and that I'd be sitting on it a while. Because of that and my work, he only wants to accept $500 for his portion of the car. After rounding up the the gas it took to drive the car here and petty materials, that was the easiest $800 I've ever made!
1621643618342.png

I guess that concludes my thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• v6buicks
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list