3800 3800 F-body Transmission Problems and (Hopefully) Solutions

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I came up with an idea to grind the little lip off. With light pressure the pin spun on the grinder exactly where I wanted it. Holding the bolt with the other two dowels kept it in place and safe-ish. lol
1623367896851.png

The reason I chose this route was because I couldn't determine where my high and low sides were unless I rolled the pin on a flat surface. The lip would have made it impossible.
1623368097097.png

I pounded the suckers home.... and I got same exact results as I did with the stock pins. ?

I'm crushed and unsure of what to do from here. Did my machinist make these wrong? Am I in way over my head? Is the TKX/3800 combination simply not meant to be? I really wish I could blame the pins. They look like shit, and the high side of each pin was not easy to determine like the Ford pins were. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the leap of faith and pay a machinist a shit ton of money on something that might also be a bust, but it seems like the only real answer.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Real quick use your gauge to check the face the transmission mounts to not just the pilot id.... the bellhousing may not be perpendicular to the crank.
Good point. That too shares the same spec of 0.005". I don't think I have a way to measure that properly though. The surface on the flywheel directly below the bore isn't machined.
16233700310404753122360507719288.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
No I doubt it I'd be shocked if you found anything more than a thou.

Check that that bore is round with a pair of dial calipers but I'm pretty sure that would be pretty good too.

Smack the dowels in the direction you need them to move. Bolt it down and retest.
Good call on the roundness. I'll check that too. If it checks, I'll get to smacking.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
The bore is round. Beat the dowels a little, remounted bell, no change.

Another thought crossed my mind, but I don't think it will make a difference. I'm doing all this measuring with only 3 of the 5 bolts. One of them is probably the most critical. (lower pass. side nut/bolt) I'll need to buy new ones because I lost them somehow. ?‍♂️

I'll probably call a couple machine shops in the morning to see if they can help me with custom dowels. This was not how I wanted tonight to go.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Grrrr I used to have this thread pop up and tell me what's up. Good to see you still gettin at it tho. Any word on when you'll get the trans?

Mook Mook I've been noticing this as well. Not complaining but increasing awareness. I'm just not getting notifications for stuff I've replied in.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Chester Copperpot Chester Copperpot, werent you having issues with alerts? Logging out and back in fixed, yes?

Also, if you're on android (no clue if they work on iOS), I strongly recommend turning on push notifications.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Uh, idk. I think mine was not getting alerts in the thread while browsing that very thread and the other was a mention being edited into an existing post. Both of which are normal.

So. No?
no, you had an issue with mentions or something not actually alerting you. maybe it was someone else.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Uh, idk. I think mine was not getting alerts in the thread while browsing that very thread and the other was a mention being edited into an existing post. Both of which are normal.

So. No?

Interesting, I closed this out and then came back to it and there was an alert. I'll monitor on my side and see if I notice anything else.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info