3800 F-body Transmission Problems and (Hopefully) Solutions

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
If I recall there's a fairly large countersink on the bushing bores.

Remember they can't have any metal ending up proud causing the bellhousing to not sit completely flush.
From the looks of it you should be able to blend away that ring just by using a little 2 in roloc wheel.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I came up with an idea to grind the little lip off. With light pressure the pin spun on the grinder exactly where I wanted it. Holding the bolt with the other two dowels kept it in place and safe-ish. lol
1623367896851.png

The reason I chose this route was because I couldn't determine where my high and low sides were unless I rolled the pin on a flat surface. The lip would have made it impossible.
1623368097097.png

I pounded the suckers home.... and I got same exact results as I did with the stock pins. 😭

I'm crushed and unsure of what to do from here. Did my machinist make these wrong? Am I in way over my head? Is the TKX/3800 combination simply not meant to be? I really wish I could blame the pins. They look like shit, and the high side of each pin was not easy to determine like the Ford pins were. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the leap of faith and pay a machinist a shit ton of money on something that might also be a bust, but it seems like the only real answer.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Real quick use your gauge to check the face the transmission mounts to not just the pilot id.... the bellhousing may not be perpendicular to the crank.
Good point. That too shares the same spec of 0.005". I don't think I have a way to measure that properly though. The surface on the flywheel directly below the bore isn't machined.
16233700310404753122360507719288.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
Yeah with the bellhousing back off I would put your dial indicator on the flywheel and check the bellhousing flange on the Block. Then I would install that bellhousing and check the same at the trans to bell face

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
You're going to be rotating the 15/16 hex bolt/crank with a ratchet unless you want to sit there and weasel the teeth of the flywheel around with a screwdriver

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
It's perpendicular to the crank centerline within 0.0026" which is good. Do I still need to check the block flange? This should be enough proof that the input shaft will at least be straight. Also that the indicator isn't wobbling as it checks bore runout.
PXL_20210611_005207130.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
No I doubt it I'd be shocked if you found anything more than a thou.

Check that that bore is round with a pair of dial calipers but I'm pretty sure that would be pretty good too.

Smack the dowels in the direction you need them to move. Bolt it down and retest.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
No I doubt it I'd be shocked if you found anything more than a thou.

Check that that bore is round with a pair of dial calipers but I'm pretty sure that would be pretty good too.

Smack the dowels in the direction you need them to move. Bolt it down and retest.
Good call on the roundness. I'll check that too. If it checks, I'll get to smacking.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
The bore is round. Beat the dowels a little, remounted bell, no change.

Another thought crossed my mind, but I don't think it will make a difference. I'm doing all this measuring with only 3 of the 5 bolts. One of them is probably the most critical. (lower pass. side nut/bolt) I'll need to buy new ones because I lost them somehow. 🤦‍♂️

I'll probably call a couple machine shops in the morning to see if they can help me with custom dowels. This was not how I wanted tonight to go.

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
You've seriously been testing it this entire time without it fully installed and bolted down?

I sure hope you don't do the same thing with yer rubbers..... probably one of those things that should probably be kept from breeding into the population :angrys00ls:

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
lol not the whooolllle time... but yeah, I'm dumb. I'm gonna grab a couple new ones. I see that they're M12x1.75. I hate that the lower one I'm missing doesn't just thread into the block like the others. WHY?! Also dumb.

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Grrrr I used to have this thread pop up and tell me what's up. Good to see you still gettin at it tho. Any word on when you'll get the trans?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Grrrr I used to have this thread pop up and tell me what's up. Good to see you still gettin at it tho. Any word on when you'll get the trans?
Mook Mook I've been noticing this as well. Not complaining but increasing awareness. I'm just not getting notifications for stuff I've replied in.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Admin
Reaction score
Chester Copperpot Chester Copperpot, werent you having issues with alerts? Logging out and back in fixed, yes?

Also, if you're on android (no clue if they work on iOS), I strongly recommend turning on push notifications.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Uh, idk. I think mine was not getting alerts in the thread while browsing that very thread and the other was a mention being edited into an existing post. Both of which are normal.

So. No?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Admin
Reaction score
Uh, idk. I think mine was not getting alerts in the thread while browsing that very thread and the other was a mention being edited into an existing post. Both of which are normal.

So. No?
no, you had an issue with mentions or something not actually alerting you. maybe it was someone else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom