3800 3800 Craigslist/ Marketplace finds

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Good money or not, aside from Ford/Ram pickup trucks, there are no cars made right now that interest me lol.

S550 Mustangs. Ive been satisfied with the price and interior layout. 2015 to 2016s are getting cheap.

But as a daily A to B car I wouldnt even know where to start most likely a current gen Accord.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
So I went and looked at a potential contender this afternoon but want to run some things by the experts.

It’s a 2004 Buick LeSabre Limited. Car runs/drives great. No dash lights or anything major. Has zero body rust but the underside is typical midwestern crusty.

One owner car since new. Guy is a now retired traveling sales rep for banking institutions. Bought TWO of these brand new in 2004. Would drive one for two weeks at a time while the other was dropped off at his friends shop to receive its oil change and inspection. The car has 262,000 miles on it right now, I guess the other one had 240ish when he sold it right when he retired.

Exterior is 95% or better, I don’t think I saw a dent on it. Interior is the same. Only flaw is minor (ash tray doesn’t stay closed)

Drives damn near perfectly. No shimmies, shakes, etc. Engine runs quiet, no major leaks that I saw top or bottom.

There’s a 2” binder of maintenance records since new. Didn’t see anything major like a trans from thumbing through.

-Heated seat doesn’t work on drivers side. You can hear the relay click and the switch lights up. Guy is going to have it looked at and see if it’s an easy fix

-Front end wheel bearing sounding noise.

-I’ll probably throw brake lines at it this year if I were to buy it, they look simple as fuck on a lift which I have. Fuel lines looked perfectly fine.

-There is some rot in the front unibody just behind the subframe. Subframe Itself looks perfectly fine. I’m thinking I could coat/treat the rust that’s there and it wouldn’t be a concern as long as I owned the car.

So what are your guys’ thoughts? My only real concern with the car is the trans having that kind of mileage. What does a rebuild run in one of these? It was shifting fine, maybe the slightest bit slow on the 2-3 shift but I also have next to zero frame of reference...

He is asking $2,400 and I’m fairly certain I can buy the car for $2,000 or less. Comparable with 140k and under with multiple owners, comparable or worse interior, comparable or worse rust are in the $4,500+ range. The appeal of this car is the single owner and service history. If it was spotless, needed nothing with 100k less on if I’d give him $4,500 all day, but that’s not the case...

663B544A-1C79-43AE-B41D-2454795C9CA1.jpeg

C268AF75-06D4-4D09-BD84-8D01A03B2438.jpeg

D755B2F0-2F10-475D-AE05-41987D9D8CEB.jpeg

33B55EC9-41B8-4109-8D7B-C9CCE2D532A9.jpeg

72BEF8A8-2CE4-4AF8-A737-0095ED1119D7.jpeg

71A7BC6D-3ACA-460C-AB69-BA8D07D635FC.jpeg

B4CE7917-D5B9-4CF0-861F-F879B21D3B82.png

E55E1591-5C14-4E81-9C79-E336F9B8F2E7.png

178CAA37-0DC2-4E45-887D-818FD660CD38.png

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I wouldn’t expect much more for 2k but I can feel the rust in my eyes just looking at the bolts under that car

Yeah, I feel that as well. I’m just pretty convinced at this point that I’m going to be dealing with this condition or worse if it’s a car local to the Midwest. Most of the ones I’ve seen have had the fuel door rot, door seams and dog leg in front of the rear wheels rotted pretty bad. This has non, nor on the rockers themselves.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
S550 Mustangs. Ive been satisfied with the price and interior layout. 2015 to 2016s are getting cheap.

But as a daily A to B car I wouldnt even know where to start most likely a current gen Accord.

I’m built for comfort, not for speed lol.

I just despise the seats in most newer cars. I don’t want side bolster, I want down comforters sewn together and leather wrapped lol.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Yeah, I feel that as well. I’m just pretty convinced at this point that I’m going to be dealing with this condition or worse if it’s a car local to the Midwest. Most of the ones I’ve seen have had the fuel door rot, door seams and dog leg in front of the rear wheels rotted pretty bad. This has non, nor on the rockers themselves.
It’s really clean for what it is and the price

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I’ve made enough purchase mistakes to know what I like at this point. This is kind of a guess that I’m going to like these cars, but they have the interior room and comfort of my tahoe with double the fuel economy and realistically like 40% of the trunk space :rofl: . So if I like them, maybe I’ll rock this one until some visible corrosion starts and then find a nice one elsewhere.

My big question I would like resolved is the trans as far as potential cost goes. Like I said, 2-3 felt lazy-ish but didn’t feel necessary “bad”. Fluid was darker but didn’t smell burnt to me.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Lincoln Continental

The 95-02 cars had some issues of their own, and the new ones are far too pricey and kinda underwhelming. I also like the idea that I can just write a check for one of these and be done. Enjoying not having any payments at the moment with my business kinda being up and down with COVID restrictions at the auctions and now that I’m probably making the jump and buying $30,000 worth of snow equipment to fulfill the commercial contracts I’m shooting for for next year, I want to hoard the cash I have lol.

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
I’m not even a big guy lol. 6’ and 225#’s, I have a lot of young and dumb injuries starting to rear their ugly heads though in the back/hip/knee department, so when you drive like I do it eventually becomes an issue. Fun shit when you’re not even 30 lol
Dude give it ten years everything starts comin out lol

Reactions: Rent Free

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
This purchase is far more of a want than a need. I have my Yukon I can daily drive without a second thought, which I won’t be getting rid of either. But if I can get into something cheap enough to get out of it for a wash, I’m usually game. Plus the fuel savings will be nice.
Plus you know , another grand in cheap marketplace parts and it'd take over your town
FB_IMG_1613683990581.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Unless the guy is willing to take like $1,700ish for that one I think I’m going to pass. My budget is right around $4,500 and I think I can get what I really want with low miles for that.

With that being said I’m definitely going to go with a LeSabre. I didn’t know they were built on the same chassis as the Park Avenue with just a shorter wheelbase. For some reason I never paid attention and they always just looked about regal size to me.

For a big ass car the independent rear suspension pretty much gave the thing zero body roll, the car was for sale out in Hawthorne Woods and the roads out by dudes house were all twisty 35mph roads and it actually felt pretty damn good to drive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info