30K Bentley Arnage - Deal or Money Pit?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
a 1955 sl300 gullwing sold for 4.5 million a few years ago. the mustang didn't even exist then. checkmate cobratards

Gullwing is not an S600.

Gullwing sold for $11K new. I know that because my dad almost bought one when he was stationed in Germany in the '50s. If only...

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Looking online the brake rotors are about 260 british lbs each. Oddly the calipers are like 160 and the pads are anywhere from $13-75 on Rock Auto which means it's probably a commodity pad/caliper setup.

The engine is proprietary on these which means it could get interesting for parts but the gear box its self is a 4L80E or a ZF manual which should be commodity parts to rebuild. In terms of the HVAC controls being BMW that's probably an odd blessing in disguise and I bet the seat controls are somehow BMW too. for the other switches I bet they're commodity switches that have custom knobs which means a DIYer would be trying to figure out part #s on digikey or similar. It's likely not stuff that would value a custom batch run due to limited quantity.

I would certainly give it a decent bit of consideration on the risk and probably LS swap it if the engine tanked. It would be intriguing to see how much of the dash system etc. was actually CAN bus based for instance.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
yes, i guess it is. you buy a vehicle that caliber, you pay more for factory trained technicians to service said vehicle.
it's not hard to understand. if you bought a ferrari, lamborghini, or mclaren are you going to take it to jiffy lube because the dealer charges too much? it's just an oil change, i'm sure they can handle it

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Personally, I'm not taking any car to Jiffy Lube unless I know the owner/techs.

If I had an expensive car that was out of warranty, I'd take it to a trusted private shop or do it myself. I'm not paying $700 for an oil change.

If I spent $300K for a car, I probably wouldn't care and the dealer is supposedly the best place to have it changed.

If I was buying one of these cars used, I'd much rather see a complete history of dealer services than random private shops.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Changing the oil in a Bentley Continental GT.

Don't forget to hold the buttons down to put the car in "jack" mode. LOL!

Doesn't look difficult but a lift would make it a lot easier. I think Bentley charges like $700 for an oil change? Profit generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9860PnydWg

It’s not that much of profit generator one would say still those cars take 12-14 qts of mobil one, oil filter, new drain plug and gasket the rest is labor / inspection.

Know depending on the mileage of the car the services call for new air filter, pollen filter and wiper blades to be replaced once a year at time of oil change.

The 4 year service on those cars is where it become expensive - oil change, filters, blades, and then add in spark plugs and a few miscellaneous gaskets here and there, Trans service, coolant service and brake fluid service.

I use to work at a Bentley dealer as a parts manager / service advisor so that’s how I know on the Bentley product.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info