300 whp Goal

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Starting to put together a plan for the 3800 swapped into my Fiero. My goal all along has been approx. 300 whp and am now really thinking through the different options to get there. Originally, my goal was to go XP cam and intercooler to get those numbers however after re-evaluating it may be overkill and cost prohibitive. Now I'm between XP cam or intercooler on there own, intercooler would likely get 1.9 rockers as well if needed. Considering each option (cam or intercooler) would be approx. the same cost, after all supporting mods, I'm torn between which option to go with.

I'd love an XP cam with the bonus of the "cammed' sound that comes with it, but I'd also love to go the intecooler route for the relatively less involved work involved (not having to tear into the engine).

As it sits now, the engine has the following: L67 block with Gen V s/c, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, 3.6 MPS and ZZP wires. The asterisk to this build is the exhaust: due to the space given, and wanting to keep a stock sized trunk, I"ll be limitied to ZZP front and rear PLOG's. The plan is to pick up a set during ZZP's Black Friday sale for some good cost savings, and maybe other parts depending on the build I end up going with. Even though I'm limiting myself to PLOG's I don't feel it should affect the build too significantly due to the very short and free flowing exhaust I have: 3' downpipe right into the muffler with dual 2.5' outlets.

Any input would be greatly appreciated from those that have already gone down the 3800 modding path.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Stock heads, stock tb, 105# springs, S1X cam, gen5 2.8 pulley on E85 made 330whp/400wtq in my car. No need for an intercooler Im not a fan of a2w intercoolers on these cars and I can imagine using one on a fiero would be even more of a pain in the ass.

Just my 2 cents.

The setup in my car is about as simple as it gets. Are you against using E85?

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Stock heads, stock tb, 105# springs, S1X cam, gen5 2.8 pulley on E85 made 330whp/400wtq in my car. No need for an intercooler Im not a fan of a2w intercoolers on these cars and I can imagine using one on a fiero would be even more of a pain in the ass.

Just my 2 cents.

The setup in my car is about as simple as it gets. Are you against using E85?

Originally E85 was part of the build plan, however I have since reconsidered. I'm looking more for ease of use and reliability: not having to look for a reliable E85 station to fill up at. I want this to be a fun car to drive around town but also ready to take on a long weekend.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
How do you go about getting airflow to the heat exchanger on an intercooler on a fiero? Still mound the FMHE on the front and run long lines?

Again Im not saying they don't work but I'd use E85 over an Intercooler all day especially on a setup with goals like this.

How far do you plan on going for round trips? More than a tank full? Also E85 reliability just comes down to using the same station all the time. People that use different stations have issues I found out myself the hard way.

Even if you do plan on driving it for trips longer than a tank full on my setup for example I carry around a shoe box in the trunk with a longer belt 3.4 pulley and PCM in it along with a allen wrench for the SC hub a 15mm wrench for the tensioner and a few sockets to swap out the pcm for the gas tune. Ive literally switched from piss gas to E85 right at the station its like a 10 min job if that.

Not aimed at you but I secretly laugh a little when people have problems with a2w intercoolers I just think they are a pain in the ass to use and just add more failure points to worry about.

Lines leaking. IC not sealing. IC pump taking a shit. FMHE getting damaged.

Don't intend to start any controversy but again for a setup under 350 whp or a max effort sc build the hell with an intercooler use E85 instead.

Also Im certain a dual pcm setup and running E85 would cost less than the IC setup too.
And less headaches...... :rofl:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Also, what did you do as far as timing chain and lifters are concerned? I've read that people can go with the single chain on a build as opposed to the double roller.

For S1X stick with stock lifters and a fresh stock chain. That itself makes it easier to live with. No heavy springs required no machined pump cover no double roller chain.

Mine is on 105# springs and ti retainers otherwise the heads are stock.

Like I said me personally I think the 330whp/400wtq from a stupid simple setup on E85 is pretty impressive.

Stock heads, stock tb, stock lifters, stock chain. Hardest part of this setup is just putting the damn S1X cam in.

Slap on a gen5 and a baby pulley fill it up with corn smile for days from the blower whine!.....

I hurt some feelings on a few M3's, 370Z, SRT8 chargers, just to name a few when I had my setup out in Wash D.C. its was a blast.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
How do you go about getting airflow to the heat exchanger on an intercooler on a fiero? Still mound the FMHE on the front and run long lines?

Again Im not saying they don't work but I'd use E85 over an Intercooler all day especially on a setup with goals like this.

How far do you plan on going for round trips? More than a tank full? Also E85 reliability just comes down to using the same station all the time. People that use different stations have issues I found out myself the hard way.

Even if you do plan on driving it for trips longer than a tank full on my setup for example I carry around a shoe box in the trunk with a longer belt 3.4 pulley and PCM in it along with a allen wrench for the SC hub a 15mm wrench for the tensioner and a few sockets to swap out the pcm for the gas tune. Ive literally switched from piss gas to E85 right at the station its like a 10 min job if that.

Not aimed at you but I secretly laugh a little when people have problems with a2w intercoolers I just think they are a pain in the ass to use and just add more failure points to worry about.

Lines leaking. IC not sealing. IC pump taking a shit. FMHE getting damaged.

Don't intend to start any controversy but again for a setup under 350 whp or a max effort sc build the hell with an intercooler use E85 instead.

Also Im certain a dual pcm setup and running E85 would cost less than the IC setup too.
And less headaches...... :rofl:

Most run the heat exchanger up front, just like on a W-body. The lines are run either underneath in the center by the gas tank or long the lower outer GT trim panels.

As far as roundtrips, it would be well outside the range of the gas tank which is only approx 200 miles due to the high 4th gear ratio of the trans.

The dual PCM wouldn't really be an issue, nor would be swapping tunes as I have HP Tuners software. This could be an option to consider.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
My car has fenderwell intake and pcm is in a tray making is cake to swap.

I filled up with E85 at about 1/4 tank about 10-15 min later I was driving away on baby pulley and E85. I have the dyno charts showing the difference between 3.4 and piss gas vs the 2.8 and E85 that its almost 60whp difference. That's pretty damn solid IMO.

Gaining almost 60whp in like 15 min unless your using nitrous nothing else is going to touch that!

Send me a PM with email and ill send you the 2 different dyno charts.

I should mention I bought this car in Ohio from Greg Pritt, drove it from Columbus Ohio to Washington DC on piss gas. Put e85 in it (mind you ALLLLLL of Washington DC only has 1 E85 station) beat on it left a few people scratching their heads, put it back on piss gas and my wife drove it back to North Dakota following me while I drove our Navigator pulling a 16' enclosed trailer when we moved back to ND.

I don't regret buying that car or having the dual pcm setup for a second.

Basically switching back and forth is so simple even I can do it multiple times. :rofl: :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Jfrost
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list