• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2nd generation Pontiac Trans Am experts... step in.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
1980 pace car says the vin. Values if running no rust maybe 6k? From the pics needs a lot to bring it back to pace car value. Which with a 80 is tough to get to even 20k in my opinion.

20200522_102658.jpg

Space Ghost

Mar 12, 2020
Chicago
This is what I found, hope it helps....

Pontiac Firebird 1972 - 1980
1st digit - Make. (2) Pontiac.
2nd digit - Series. (S) Base Firebird, (T) Esprit, (U) Formula, (V or W) Trans Am, (X) 10th Anniversary or Pace Cars.
3rd and 4th digits - Body type. (87) Sport Coupe.
5th digit - Engine Code. (A or C) 231 2-bbl V6, (D) 250 1-bbl L6, (G) 305 2-bbl V8, (H) 305 4- bbl V8 (1975) or 305 4-bbl V8 (1980), (J) 350 4-bbl V8, (K) 403 4-bbl V8, (L) 350 4-bbl V8, (M or N) 350 2-bbl V8, (R) 400 2-bbl V8, single exh. (1972-74), (P) 400 2-bbl V8, dual exh. (1973- 74) or 350 4-bbl V8 (1977), (R) 350 4-bbl V8 (S) 400 4-bbl V8 (1975-76) or S 265 2-bbl V8 (1980), (T) 400 4-bbl V8, dual exh. (1972-74) or (T) 301 Turbo 4-bbl V8 (1980), (U) 305 2-bbl V8 (1978), (W) 455 4-bbl V8 (1975-76) or 301 4-bbl V8 (1979-80), (X) 455 300 hp 4-bbl V8 H.O. (1972) or 455 4-bbl V8 S.D. (1973-74), (Y) 455 4-bbl V8 (1973-74) or 301 2-bbl V8 (1977, 1979) or 301 4-bbl V8 T/A 4.9 (1980), (Z) 400 4-bbl V8
6th digit - Model year. (2) 1972, (3) 1973, (4) 1974, (5) 1975, (6) 1976, (7) 1977, (8) 1978, (9) 1979, (A) 1980.
7th digit - Assembly plant. (L) Van Nuys, CA, (N) Norwood, OH.
8th to 13th digits - Sequential production number

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Thanks all. I spent a good part of the night doing a little research and what I found is what you guys are confirming.

This looks to be a genuine car. Based on the VIN# having the "X" and the "T" in it. The car was built in March of 1980. A couple of things I further found comparing my pics (what he sent) and the real cars.

1) On the dash, there is a switch for the turbo lights (a hi and low setting). This switch is over on the far right of the dash. On the interior pic, I see what I think is that switch there. And yes, the TTA's had the scoop on the left.

2) If you look at the door handle, you'll see what's left of a "sticker". I couldn't figure out what it said until I came across a few pics of pristine TTA's. It says "4 Wheel Disc" in reference to the brakes obviously. From reading up, the disc setup was part of the WS6 package, which the TTA's got automatically as part of the package.

The neighbor was unable to pop the hood, so not sure if the LU8 engine is in there or if something else was swapped in. But the interior, the VIN, the hood scoop, the sticker on the door handle, all seem like this is a legit, non-stickered (the sticker package was also an RPO option), pace car.

I know it's slow, I know it's not anything overly special, just a unique peice of history that's kinda cool. When I get it, forebearing something majorly wrong with the 301T, I will leave it as is, clean it up, fix necessary things, and keep it for a little while as a nice cruiser to car shows. Eventually most likely sell it. So unless I have to invest some major coin in it, it'll really all be profit for me.

I will discuss him doing a mechanic's lien and getting the title, then he and I will make a transaction. I'll give him a buck or something, or pay for all the title workings, and go from there. But I will go get it tuesday and bring it back to the other house. If in the 90 days, the original owner shows up, well, he can come get it.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I asked him about the legalities of him giving it to me.
At my work about 5 years ago. We had some of our trucks for sale. A fella came by our shop and payed for a trailer and our International single axle truck. The guy took the trailer and both titles and said he'd pick up the International at a later date. My boss had called the guy multiple times to find out when he was going to pick up the truck and the guy said he would but never did. Even though he had payed for it and had the title. The last couple of years the guy would not even call back or answer the phone anymore. But he paid for, had the title and owned the truck but it was still in our yard. We wanted it gone and off our property and tried junking it. Junk yard could not take it since we did not have the title. We called the police to have it towed. Carol Stream Police told us they could not tow it unless the truck was reported as abandoned and after 10 days they could legally tow it off our property. An officer in a winking sly way told us to let the air out of one of the tires to make it appear more abandoned. After 10 days of reporting the truck abandoned the police came and got the truck off our property just last year.

So who ever owns the garage may not even be able to get rid of the Trans Am.

I'm sure my story does not help but this saga reminded of our truck title saga.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
At my work about 5 years ago. We had some of our trucks for sale. A fella came by our shop and payed for a trailer and our International single axle truck. The guy took the trailer and both titles and said he'd pick up the International at a later date. My boss had called the guy multiple times to find out when he was going to pick up the truck and the guy said he would but never did. Even though he had payed for it and had the title. The last couple of years the guy would not even call back or answer the phone anymore. But he paid for, had the title and owned the truck but it was still in our yard. We wanted it gone and off our property and tried junking it. Junk yard could not take it since we did not have the title. We called the police to have it towed. Carol Stream Police told us they could not tow it unless the truck was reported as abandoned and after 10 days they could legally tow it off our property. An officer in a winking sly way told us to let the air out of one of the tires to make it appear more abandoned. After 10 days of reporting the truck abandoned the police came and got the truck off our property just last year.

So who ever owns the garage may not even be able to get rid of the Trans Am.

I'm sure my story does help but this saga reminded of our truck title saga.

I just explained to him what Wrencher posted earlier. He said "whatever we need to do...".

Curious...is there rust in the corners of the dash?

I'll find out Wednesday when I go get it. He is showing an apartment on Tuesday, so we said Wedndesday. Otherwise, those pics are what he sent me.

PHS is a lot more. I payed around $85 but also got the window sticker. I do think they have a quick fax that is less and just verities the vin.

I don't remember what I paid for the Catalina, but I got a whole packet with build info, dealer it was sold from (which made sense knowing where the car was from), yada, yada.

On another note, he did tell me the other car in the garage next to it was silver and he'd get pics/VIN probably tomorrow when he's back down there. Really curious what it is. Of course if I'm not interested, I'll happily let others on here get it. He just wants it out.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
If you're referring to the Pace Car specific stickers that go on the doors, those were shipped in the trunk of each car. It was the owners decision as to whether to apply them or not. Some dealers did it upon delivery. It's good to see the hard to find original radio is in it. The dash wasn't cut there which is surprising considering he was a car audio guy (or girl). If you do put power to it, clean out the power antennae opening on the drivers side fender as best as you can. If there is debris there, it will snap the wire and it'll be extremely costly to find one. There will most likely be (at least) two build sheets. One should be above the tank and the other may be under the passenger seat. On my 10th it was behind the rear seat back. Neither would be in great shape although the one above the tank will most likely be the better of the two. Extremely popular with these were keyed hood locks. It may have one laying down below the column. It looks like someone has been messing around quite a bit there. This could be one reason why the hood wouldn't open although it is more likely to be the latch needing to be lubed. Everything on that interior is much more expensive than on the other models. That and the 79 10th Anniversary cars are both like this. First thing to do is to run the VIN through law enforcement. Make sure there isn't something the old owner isn't telling you. If you don't have someone to do this for you, let me know and I'll run it.

Good luck! I know what I'd do with it.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
On another note, he did tell me the other car in the garage next to it was silver and he'd get pics/VIN probably tomorrow when he's back down there. Really curious what it is. Of course if I'm not interested, I'll happily let others on here get it. He just wants it out.
Just silver? Silver what? Now I’m curious

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If you're referring to the Pace Car specific stickers that go on the doors, those were shipped in the trunk of each car. It was the owners decision as to whether to apply them or not. Some dealers did it upon delivery. It's good to see the hard to find original radio is in it. The dash wasn't cut there which is surprising considering he was a car audio guy (or girl). If you do put power to it, clean out the power antennae opening on the drivers side fender as best as you can. If there is debris there, it will snap the wire and it'll be extremely costly to find one. There will most likely be (at least) two build sheets. One should be above the tank and the other may be under the passenger seat. On my 10th it was behind the rear seat back. Neither would be in great shape although the one above the tank will most likely be the better of the two. Extremely popular with these were keyed hood locks. It may have one laying down below the column. It looks like someone has been messing around quite a bit there. This could be one reason why the hood wouldn't open although it is more likely to be the latch needing to be lubed. Everything on that interior is much more expensive than on the other models. That and the 79 10th Anniversary cars are both like this. First thing to do is to run the VIN through law enforcement. Make sure there isn't something the old owner isn't telling you. If you don't have someone to do this for you, let me know and I'll run it.

Good luck! I know what I'd do with it.

Thank you, I was gonna ask if these had a SPID somewhere. I'm sure the stickers (if they weren't attached), aren't still with the car. It'd be nice to see if it had that RPO though because I'm sure I can get them (reproduction).

At first I thought it was an aftermarket stereo, but then I saw the same on ein other cars, and felt a sigh of relief. Yea, not sure what they were doing wiring wise.

So with the keyed hood lock, is there a key under the dash? Is that what you're saying?

I don't have a way to run the VIN otherwise. Obviously CarFax doesn't have it since it's a 13 digit VIN.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
Thank you, I was gonna ask if these had a SPID somewhere. I'm sure the stickers (if they weren't attached), aren't still with the car. It'd be nice to see if it had that RPO though because I'm sure I can get them (reproduction).

At first I thought it was an aftermarket stereo, but then I saw the same on ein other cars, and felt a sigh of relief. Yea, not sure what they were doing wiring wise.

So with the keyed hood lock, is there a key under the dash? Is that what you're saying?

I don't have a way to run the VIN otherwise. Obviously CarFax doesn't have it since it's a 13 digit VIN.

You're welcome. I'll try to remember to run it tomorrow. Or send me a reminder.

The old hood locks used a barrel keyed device under the column that would twist a cable near the factory lock not allowing it to be opened. If there is one, maybe you'll get lucky and find the key to it somewhere inside. Hopefully the t tops don't have a lock on them as well. All stuff you can get past, just a pain. That ash tray plate EQ thing was a Warshawsky thing if I remember correctly. I haven't seen one a really long time. Someone will probably want it if you decide to put the ashtray back in it. I may have one laying around that can get you by.

SEM makes the interior panel paint colors. When cleaning them, don't use anything stuff. They will most likely be chalky. The 'grain' is easy to 'sand' away. It may be easier to remove them and let some mild cleaners do most of the work. Whatever doesn't come off can get a coat of warm gray, light gray (IIRC) and low lustre clear.

When you get the hood open, maybe just disconnect the antennae until you're ready to deal with it. I'd help the windows down the first few times too. They'll be very slow. That motor is a PITA to replace.

There is a thieving ass on craigslist that's local selling firebird parts. I'd stay away from him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info