Bill

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I had a comp that had velociraptors in raid 0 and despite being 8 years old it was still DAMN fast. Anyhow, I think my motherboard is only capable of sata ii. If I were to raid 0 two SSDs would I get the full speed or would I get bottlenecked?

I've done it before. You can get some decent speed if you stripe the SATA II channels.

I have 3 cheap 500GB WD Blue HD's in Raid-0 in my Mac Pro. I just ran a speed test and got 314MB/s read, and 295MB/s write.

There is some overhead, but two SATA II channels is probably about 95% of the throughput of a single SATA III channel.

You'd still have a massive benefit from the SSD's insane I/O speeds compared to platters. Your sequential benchmarks would suffer, but the rest should be about spot on.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
coupon code doesn't work anymore. amazon has it for the same price of $75

Just got my 8gb of ram for my macbook pro. Too bad my stupid 09 iMac can't go past 4gb or I would upgrade that slow piece of shit too. Probably going to do this SSD within the next week or two. Had this macbook for 5 years. if a ram and ssd upgrade gets me another 5 years that would be amazing

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I've done it before. You can get some decent speed if you stripe the SATA II channels.

I have 3 cheap 500GB WD Blue HD's in Raid-0 in my Mac Pro. I just ran a speed test and got 314MB/s read, and 295MB/s write.

There is some overhead, but two SATA II channels is probably about 95% of the throughput of a single SATA III channel.

You'd still have a massive benefit from the SSD's insane I/O speeds compared to platters. Your sequential benchmarks would suffer, but the rest should be about spot on.
Well my current setup is a 1TB WD barracuda that I picked up back in late 2011. Up until recently I also had a 128gb SSD that I used as my boot drive with the OS, games and programs installed but that failed on me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info