đź”– Deals 250gig SSD hard drive $65

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
In the past 120gb would be enough. But if it's your only computer then it's not. You'll need slower storage available neither in the form of a 2nd HD, or in the form of NAS unit.

For laptops it makes more sense to have a NAS. Or buy a bigger SSD.

500gb is the smallest SSD I'd buy right now. And in the next 12 months I'd upgrade that minimum to 1tb.

My music collection alone is 166gb currently.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
hmm. this makes me want to toss an SSD in my macbook pro. Id get by with a 256gb just fine. Its a 2010 model, has that much storage already and I'm only using about 180gb of it

if you haven't already picked one up, the 850 evo is on sale on amazon right now. arguably the best bang for the buck SSD out there.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE/?tag=tcg21-20

im thinking about picking one or two up and SSDing all the things :nice:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Most commerical NAS come with backup software you install on your computer. Then it backs up over the wire to the NAS automatically.

You'll have to look at your NAS feature set to see if its supported. May require a plugin install.

FreeNAS which is an open source NAS OS you can install on just about any old PC has several jails you can use to run Backup software.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If your laptop only has room for 1 2.5" drive, and you are limited in budget (1TB SSD too much) I suggest looking at the Seagate SSHD drives.

These are hybrid drives with a small SSD onboard that acts as a hot-cache for data retrieval. Nowhere near as fast as a full on SSD, but cost per gigabyte is much cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=tcg21-20

It has 8GB of SLC NAND Flash onboard. And it stores the most often accessed blocks in the SSD portion. Your boot speeds are typically very close to SSD levels, and 8GB is more than enough to store some application data in the SSD. So its a good compromise. Plus, a 1TB SSDH is only $70.

There is a review of it here. I ran an earlier model in my Macbook Pro. It made a big difference in boot times. FLASH was limited to just 2GB at the time though, so the benefits weren't as good as with the 8GB now. I think they need to get to 16-32GB on these to make some real headway. Requires no special hardware, will work and fit anywhere you can install a 9.5MM 2.5" SATA drive.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_laptop_sshd_1tb_review

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
To save money, turn the original HDD into your storage and use the SSD for running programs. It's not hard to plug in the HDD when you want to save something big.

We gotta be getting close to the time when SSDs will start to be installed in lower price point laptops. I'd take a 500GB SSD over a 1TB HDD any day.

I wonder when some upstart company will design a generic laptop case that will accept multiple motherboards and components. That would be a huge breakthrough for those of us who run into the MB and the video card bottlenecks.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
To save money, turn the original HDD into your storage and use the SSD for running programs. It's not hard to plug in the HDD when you want to save something big.

We gotta be getting close to the time when SSDs will start to be installed in lower price point laptops. I'd take a 500GB SSD over a 1TB HDD any day.

I wonder when some upstart company will design a generic laptop case that will accept multiple motherboards and components. That would be a huge breakthrough for those of us who run into the MB and the video card bottlenecks.

Ssds are already installed in lower price laptops. All Chromebooks have ssds. They may not be 500gb or 1tb..but a majority of people don't need that. Usually 120gb is more then enough for a majority of people and those are cheap as fuck now. I rarely need more then my 500gb external to backup customers pcs...usually I can do it on a 64gb flash drive.

The generic laptop case idea would be awesome..especially with newer micro motherboards..but the problem always comes down the cooling. Laptops are usually custom because they need to be able to dissipate heat as best as possible.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

I wonder when some upstart company will design a generic laptop case that will accept multiple motherboards and components. That would be a huge breakthrough for those of us who run into the MB and the video card roadblocks.

See, that concept does not fly at all with the average consumer. If you tell them they have to plug in a drive to access their data, they are going to ignore it. They don't want to deal with peripherals. Its fine to plug in an external drive for backups. Or to transfer very large amounts of data. But for daily access? It doesn't work. So if you can't afford to buy a SSD big enough to fit your storage demands, then a SSHD is the next best option for most. That applies to a traveling scenario.

if you are somewhat tech savy, and your laptop rarely travels, then a home NAS makes way more sense. Its not tied to your hardware, and you don't need any external drives attached to the laptop. It can be accessed via WIFI, or wired. Its how i do everything at home. ALL of my documents and pictures are stored on the NAS. Nothing exists on the laptop unless I'm going to take it to go. And everything is accessible on every computer I have. Thanks to OwnCloud I even have access to my documents on the go anywhere there is an internet connection, and an encrypted connection to boot.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Configuring and maintaining something like a freenas with external network access/encryption is way over the head of most consumers. That's why there's paid cloud solutions.

I use FreeNAS, but most if not all of the consumer NAS devices onthe market offer NAS backup clients that can be installed on the laptop.

FreeNAS just means we have way more control and expandability. But WD, Seagate, and the other NAS devices offer idiot proof backup features.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info