24 Hours of LeMons introduces an Electric class

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
And the prize to win is 1 million Nickels. 5.5tons of them.

https://jalopnik.com/the-infamous-24-hours-of-lemons-introduces-a-new-full-e-1832995045

Here’s what the important parts of the new Electric Class are:

Powertrain systems and energy storage don’t count toward the $500 cap.
Recharging is done in the same area as refueling.
Battery swapping is legal.
Special electric-car rules are now live: See Section 3.L of the Rulebook.
The first all-electric vehicle to win a Lemons race overall will be paid 1 million nickels—ie 50 grand cash, ie 5½ tons of money.
The rules also mention that your $50,000 in nickels—that’s 11,000 pounds of money—will arrive at your garage (or, I guess, condo, apartment, house, hotel room) by dump truck.

The EVs can be either production models or cars converted to EVs. I suspect that pretty much anything will have to be extensively modified, mostly to include the ability to swap battery packs, which is really the only sensible way to keep an EV going on the track without pit stops that take an hour or more.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
fuck 24 hours on electric???? Sounds like they are going to be swapping lots of battery packs in the pits every few laps

Most races these days are like 8 hours each day. They usually have 1-2 true 24 hour races. I did one 24 hour race 2-3 years ago at autobahn and not sure if I would sign up for another 24 hour race. Racing at night is freaky, I have a hard time sleeping and it was hot all freaking weekend.

Events this year, if you haven't been to one they are always interesting to walk the pits and watch the fixes going on.
Autobahn April 6-7
Gingerman June 29-30
Gingerman Oct 12-13

The cars at the pointy end of the field are pretty quick. I would be surprised if an electric car could even win B class at this point. Would need at least 3 battery packs and to be able to run for at least 1 hour with 5 minute or less pit stops. I know the tesla's seem to have issue on track after about 45 minutes and that is when they are divided into 15 minute sessions. Would have to throw some tire changes in there for the weight of those things.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Do the rules mention anything about being able to use solar panels on the car?

the amount of energy those are bringing in vs. what you are expending would do fuck all for you.

in theory the cars should benefit from some increased reliability, as intel noted they be fatter though. you're gonna need a good quick battery swap method.

iirc in that randy pobst video, he was juggling using 3 different cars. maybe 3 cuz one might be getting software updates while the other is charging? note in formula e they simply switch cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5cnpNRWQBU

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info