2022 Tundra…Will it be good enough?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi

I believe the official reveal is coming up on the 19th. Toyota claims it is going to be a “world beater”. The outside of the truck, suspension, and some interior has already been somewhat revealed. Currently the Tundra is a dead reliable truck with several shortcomings compared to the competition.

What does Toyota need to bring with the new truck in order to claim bragging rights as the best 1/2 ton truck? Will it ever be able to go head to head with the American brands? Discuss

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am a believer in the Tundra, or I wouldn’t own one. Biggest downfall is mpg and towing ability IMO. The truck desperately needs an interior refresh, which it will receive. I think if they bring out a really good hybrid variant with a 13k tow capacity and close to 30mpg, it will dominate all in the current market. I am excited that there is a potential for a front running truck out of Toyota. I hope Toyota doesn’t let the American market down with this re design.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I feel like I need more info than this video provided, but I want to punch the dude who called this a world beater right in his face. They essentially brought the truck up to par compared to other current offerings. Will most likely be out of date in 3 years just like the last one was.

up to 12k towing, and decent power numbers for the hybrid optioned engine though. Not terrible, but not exactly blowing me away. If the engine sounds like a wet fart like the raptor, I am most likely completely out on this.

I am highly curious if the hybrid engine can be put into a more base model truck though, or if it is TRD pro option only.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Other than a hybrid option they basically knocked on the f150’s door but never made it in.
Agreed.

After looking into it a bit more, the hybrid option is only available on their top tier trucks. That sucks for me as I would probably never spend 60k on a truck.

also, could be good or bad but the frame is designed for the land cruiser and not specifically for the Tundra. It could be great, but reading that initially made me sad about it.

• Sad
Reactions: v6buicks

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
why can't they make the online configurators go live at the same time they reveal the new vehicle

I promise you nobody is interested in configuring a piece of shit 2021 tundra

1632144926709.png

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
430hp and 580 ft lbs with the hybrid...that's sick AF

can i haz

Blood on Blood Blood on Blood if you don't trade your dad150 in on this thing you are never allowed to swing from Toyota again
That hybrid does have great numbers. Still waiting to hear mpg and tow rating from that bad boy.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That hybrid does have great numbers. Still waiting to hear mpg and tow rating from that bad boy.
Think how fun it would be to have a truck DD with almost 600 ft lbs of torque on tap lol, that's awesome.

I'm assuming the MPG won't be great, which is fine. My guess is low 20's highway. They'll prob have an option to run on electric only up to like 15mph just to appease the EV lovers that would never buy this truck anyways

Reactions: SleeperLS
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info