Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

The base engine is a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 with 389 horsepower (290 kilowatts) and 479 pound-feet (649 newton-meters), while the hybridized i-Force Max engine adds an electric motor to the 10-speed automatic transmission for a staggering 437 hp and 583 lb-ft (326 kW and 790 Nm).

Reactions: guspech750 and Rico

Rico

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Nov 25, 2020
Looks pretty sweet. Love the interior. I don't know why but this video suddenly made me miss my Highlander...That thing was so reliable and comfortable. Drove it all the way to Zion national park and back. Traded it for my M3 when we got back :D
Here it is at Arches National Park in Moab, UT and Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, CO.

IMG_20200616_084124.jpg

IMG_20200610_205214.jpg

Reactions: guspech750

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Talks about Tundras towing.

It makes sense. If even .05% of half ton owners have towed >10k lbs with their truck just ONCE, i'd legit be shocked. That's like two (light) racecars on a long ass steel trailer, you never see that behind a half ton.

All truck manufacturers could have stopped focusing on half ton tow capacity once they hit 9-10k lbs, and instead spent that money on more value-added stuff

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
It makes sense. If even .05% of half ton owners have towed >10k lbs with their truck just ONCE, i'd legit be shocked. That's like two (light) racecars on a long ass steel trailer, you never see that behind a half ton.

All truck manufacturers could have stopped focusing on half ton tow capacity once they hit 9-10k lbs, and instead spent that money on more value-added stuff
Only issue with less towing capacity is usually payload also decreases. If you wanted to have a slide in camper or even a tow behind camper you’d be real real tight with payload if you had anything in the bed or cab (if using a tow behind camper).

Also at elevation you generally lose towing capacity (Ford are sneaky with that).

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
The new Tundra achieves the current bar with the competition, but does not raise the bar in terms of performance, capability, styling, technology / innovation, safety, etc.

TFL and other YT channels pointed out Toyota reliability due to the 3.5 twin turbo coming from the existing Lexus product line, along with Toyota’s maturity in the hybrid space. But, neither is proven long term in this new truck, so the reliability claim is “80% confidence level”, but no guarantee.

Essentially the new Tundra is outdated before it hits the dealer lots.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I thought I read the Tundra has more power than f150 hybrid. Also, I am curious what the tundras mpg numbers will be compared to the ford

If the new Tundra hybrid is getting 30 mpgs combined then it may be worth the price of admission. Though per the videos, traditional Toyota hybrid design down to the nickel battery so nothing innovative,

Reactions: SleeperLS

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If the new Tundra hybrid is getting 30 mpgs combined then it may be worth the price of admission. Though per the videos, traditional Toyota hybrid design down to the nickel battery so nothing innovative,

my buddy's new 3.0 duramax 1500 sierra is averaging more than 30 mpg.

2022 3.0 duramax gained a lot of towing capacity too.

buuuuut it will be nowhere as quick as the tundra or the powerboost.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Also in the Rivian thread.

"With all said and done, the Rivian achieved a 153 mile trip in 2 hours, 45 minutes at an average speed of 55.6 mph. It used 91% of its battery to do so, suggesting a total range of around 168 miles if the battery was drained completely. Notably the Rivian did not go into a battery-saving mode at any point during the test, with full power on hand to pull the trailer all the way to the end.

In contrast, the Toyota Tundra was able to stretch its legs far further. Running the same 153 mile circuit, it used just over 10 gallons of fuel, or 32% of its total tank capacity. Extrapolating out, using its full tank capacity, the Tundra could rack up a healthy 473 miles without running out of fuel."

• Wow
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info