đź“° Auto News 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Comes into View before April 15 Reveal | C&D

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
We had a 21 Sonata as a loaner car and it had wireless CarPlay. The biggest annoyance ever. Kept getting disconnected and would just stop showing maps but the music would keep playing. Sometimes it would be 10 minutes in between, a few times I’d have it disconnect right after reconnecting. Did a google search and quite a few people were complaining about it.

I still think this is a cool non truck truck.

Milhouse

Addict
Jan 5, 2017
The Bose stereo option doesn't even get wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. If they can't get that to work properly, who needs it?

Wired works better anyways. But wireless is convenient.

The wireless CarPlay in my Silverado works 99% of the time.
When it doesn’t work is when I turn off CarPlay on my phone then turn it back on after the truck is running.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The Bose stereo option doesn't even get wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. If they can't get that to work properly, who needs it?

Wired works better anyways. But wireless is convenient.

I don’t know if they changed this but on the Elantra, if you have wireless CarPlay you don’t have the option of it being wired; Hyundai cited some security reason, but other automakers get around it. Wireless CarPlay has been so hit or miss. It works well in some cars and poorly in others. But it’s hard to trace it back to the phone or the car. But when it works, it’s really convenient, as long as the wireless charging works, which is also inconsistent.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I don't expect it to last lol But interesting nonetheless.

Hyundai's decision to greenlight a strange, small pickup seemed like an unorthodox one several months ago when the 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz was unveiled. After the positive reviews started piling up (including our own), however, it became clear that the Korean automaker had made the right decision. And now it's evident that the general public agrees, as Santa Cruz pickups are quickly finding homes shortly after landing on dealer lots.
Automotive analyst iSeeCars keeps track of how long cars sit on dealer lots before they get sold. For months, the Chevy Corvette has been at the top of the heap or very close to it. Now though, it's been dethroned—at least temporarily—by the Santa Cruz. The compact pickups spend an average of only eight days on the showroom floor before somebody decides to snatch them up.

message-editor%2F1631629382395-inlinea.jpg

PETER HOLDERITH

The iSeeCars list is interesting because it not only tends to highlight conventional hot sellers like compact SUVs, but enthusiast vehicles as well. The top 20 ranking includes, for instance, the Subaru WRX, the aforementioned C8 Corvette, and the Ford Bronco. All of these vehicles get sold well ahead of the average time a car spends on a lot, which is 26 days. If you're curious, the Bronco spends 10.6 days on lots. So yes, the Santa Cruz is technically hotter than the Bronco. There is, of course, a very broad context to that statement, though.
The Santa Cruz has been subject to dealer markups just like many others. We actually received an email from a reader showing a $10,000 markup on an SEL Premium trim, which is pretty unbelievable considering the starting price of such a Santa Cruz is $36,905. If they weren't aware before, dealerships are definitely in the loop now about the high demand for enthusiast vehicles like the Santa Cruz.
The Santa Cruz was formally unveiled several months ago as a vehicle in the same vein as the Ford Maverick. It's a compact, unibody pickup truck with a relatively low price tag designed for people with "active lifestyles." As such, it has several features that enable that attitude. It can tow 5,000 pounds, its short bed is more versatile than you might think, and thanks to a crew cab it can still be used as a daily driver. Lastly, an integrated lockable tonneau cover also makes the bed usable as a trunk.

message-editor%2F1631629446485-inlineb.jpg

PETER HOLDERITH
It's still an unorthodox car despite having this level of versatility though, and the fact that it's selling so quickly will definitely be good news for a few Hyundai product planners. The Santa Cruz is based on the Tucson—not its own bespoke platform—sure, but it was definitely still a risk to bring it to market. In any case, it's a solid little pickup with a bucketload of interesting features.
We'll see if the rapid sales keep up.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
We had a 21 Sonata as a loaner car and it had wireless CarPlay. The biggest annoyance ever. Kept getting disconnected and would just stop showing maps but the music would keep playing. Sometimes it would be 10 minutes in between, a few times I’d have it disconnect right after reconnecting. Did a google search and quite a few people were complaining about it.

I still think this is a cool non truck truck.

I've had this in a bunch of rentals lately. The first time this happened to me also. It was the biggest pain in the dick. I did some research and found that making sure there are no other phones on the connect list. My rental kept trying to grab those but would still play music.
Once I disconnected all the others I was fine. Following week my next rental had wireless CarPlay. I deleted all the phones on the list and was fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info