🔧 BUILD 2021 VW Atlas 2.0T AWD Family Wagon

General Information

Added a family truckster to the stable; 2021 VW Atlas 2.0T SEL AWD. With generous incentives right now, you can get a brand new one for the price of a used 2018-2019 with 20-30k miles, so I jumped on it. Can't beat the space efficiency of this car, and it's ride/handling in its class.

For 2021, VW added the 2.0T to more trim levels, and for the first time with AWD. The 2.0T sells all of its power/torque up front, so it doesn't feel any pokier than the 3.6. It needs premium for its max power ratings, but runs decent on regular. While completely anecdotal, I feel the 2.0T has a better reliability reputation than the 3.6, so was thrilled that they added AWD to the 2.0T for 2021. It's also less expensive and more fuel-efficient, but with similar gusto. The bummer is that the 2.0T doesn't come with the R-Line, which I really gushed over but didn't want the 3.6.

Also, the new Racing Green for 2021 is pretty sweet; looks black in some light, but is dark metallic green when illuminated. The bummer for 2020 and 2021 is that VW's lengthy 72-month, 72,000-mile warranty went kaput in 2019, so the factory one is only 4 years, 50,000 miles.

50230304228_5b58b41515_b.jpg

50230304193_1154cb02ba_b.jpg

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
On our way to Florida, I was drafting my wife's SUV @65mph with the u-Haul and getting 40mpg. But the best I seem to get is about what you're getting, low 30's. I still like this SUV, just need to suck it up and get a tune.

The Tiguan will get Apr tuned as soon as warranty is over.

Only have 12k on our 2020.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Yeah, I believe that was for the 18/19 model years.

When u first got yours on your thread we spoke about how great looking the the Tiguan is but when I test drove it was way underpowered but I’d rather have a warranty than void it if it’s my daily. It’s not fun when you have to pay for a new engine.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
If only running a Stage 1 from APR, it's fairly conservative/safe despite a nice bump in power and not really pushing any mechanical limits. And as a daily that isn't really being driven hard too often, even less is likely to go wrong. Different story in the hands of a teen driver that's racing around, of course. BUT VW seems to automatically flag them if they come in for service and their system can detect that it's been reflashed, even if put back to stock. It's a calculated gamble, of course, but it likely falls into the .01% or less chance of there being a problem with the powertrain.
If it’s a daily and not a race car I don’t see the point of tuning it if you are voiding a warranty.

Sucks when it goes boom and it’s not warrantied

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I just returned from a 2,200-mile road trip in the Atlas and tracked fuel economy via the Fuelly app. Total mpg over the 2,200 miles was 24.1 mpg, with the highest tank of 25.7 mpg. The trip computer read about 1.5-2 mpg higher than calculated numbers, and that’s disappointing because most cars aren’t that off.

The longest distance we traveled between fill-ups was 355 miles, which refilled 15 of the tank’s 18 gallons, but this tank’s average was also one of the lowest at 23.5 mpg. With two kids under 5 in the car, however, refueling wasn’t a factor in how frequently we stopped. :rofl:

The AWD 2.0T’s highway mpg rating is 24 mpg, so it hit that even when driving at 80 mph on big long stretches loaded with cargo. The route was from Naperville to Jacksonville FL area and on the way down we went through Asheville so the driving included some elevation changes along the way.

I wouldn’t say the route was challenging at all, but in the mountains I liked to drive in sport mode to get the revs up; otherwise, the economy-minded programming lugs the engine and its out of its range of responsiveness. When I drive, I refuel with Premium because the car gets its max power ratings on 93 and I feel like it’s more eager to rev and the shifts are crisper, but that might be in my head. This trip was all on Premium, though around town it’s mostly on regular.

Ride firmness is good but impact harshness with the 20s remains poor and every bump makes a loud thwack sounds, which was apparent on the long drive. Perhaps a different tire would be better, but I’d really like to put 17s or 18s on the car at some point with more sidewall.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It’s premium for best performance and economy, but you can drive on regular without issue and it says “87 octane” on the fuel door. Mostly premium will get you the maximum power in high heat or high stress conditions.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
24,000-mile update: I’ve been hearing a clunk in the driver’s side front that I thought would be a sway bar bushing like many have reported on the Atlas forums, but, nope, needs a new steering rack! Will be covered by warranty, but parts are back-ordered. I have a 2023 Atlas loaner with the 3.6-liter and was reminded how good the 2.0-liter is. The 3.6 is wimpy, and also read 15.8 mpg on the 3,000-mile trip :rofl:

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Good info on your experiences with this. This is one of the contenders for the family hauler purchase come next year. Hadn’t read up enough on them and didn’t know they did add AWD to the E888 engine option.

Wouldn’t hate having two cars with the same engine in the garage. Already have some of the maintenance tools lol.

Reactions: blue-sun

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
The 2024 Atlas has the evo4 E888 engine from the new GTI/Golf R/Arteon. Aside from more power, it also makes max power on regular 87 octane. Unfortunately, they added the ID.4 screen and controls, which is an awful way to control a vehicle.
Yeah our price range will likely be $32-38k so would be shopping used. I can’t figure out which trim/year it is but almost all I look at have the most flat basic looking seats which makes the interior look cheap as shit to me especially compared to my GTI. Kinda looks like at some point there was an SEL trim and an SEL Premium trim and the premium got the better looking seats.

Right now I’m strongly considering 2020+ Highlander, Atlas and maybe a higher mileage 2014-2017 GX460 (vastly different than the other two but an end of world reliability/off road capable vehicle).

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
After I got the car back from the steering rack replacement, the headlights were pointed way low. Like dangerously short beam throw, barely through an intersection and unsafe to drive at highway speeds. I dropped it off at VW thinking it would be easy to identify, but got the runaround that there was nothing wrong and the headlights matched another atlas there and that there was no way to adjust the headlights so how could anything be wrong. No freaking way. This car has always had amazing headlights (adaptive and load leveling) and now I was only seeing as much light on the left photo below. I mentioned that perhaps the load level sensor on the lower control arm was disturbed during the repair, to which they said impossible, but then said they’d reach out to VW. Five days later, VW tells them how to fix it but the service advisor couldn’t tell me what it was. Anyway, it’s fixed now (right photo below) and happy to have my sweet headlights back.

IMG_7215.jpeg

Thread Info