🔧 BUILD 2021 VW Atlas 2.0T AWD Family Wagon

General Information

Added a family truckster to the stable; 2021 VW Atlas 2.0T SEL AWD. With generous incentives right now, you can get a brand new one for the price of a used 2018-2019 with 20-30k miles, so I jumped on it. Can't beat the space efficiency of this car, and it's ride/handling in its class.

For 2021, VW added the 2.0T to more trim levels, and for the first time with AWD. The 2.0T sells all of its power/torque up front, so it doesn't feel any pokier than the 3.6. It needs premium for its max power ratings, but runs decent on regular. While completely anecdotal, I feel the 2.0T has a better reliability reputation than the 3.6, so was thrilled that they added AWD to the 2.0T for 2021. It's also less expensive and more fuel-efficient, but with similar gusto. The bummer is that the 2.0T doesn't come with the R-Line, which I really gushed over but didn't want the 3.6.

Also, the new Racing Green for 2021 is pretty sweet; looks black in some light, but is dark metallic green when illuminated. The bummer for 2020 and 2021 is that VW's lengthy 72-month, 72,000-mile warranty went kaput in 2019, so the factory one is only 4 years, 50,000 miles.

50230304228_5b58b41515_b.jpg

50230304193_1154cb02ba_b.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I’m guessing it’s a different horn than my GTI has. My wife’s 2015 civic has the most bitchass horn I’ve ever heard. You honk it and the tone says “I’m mildly annoyed but too passive to fully express my feelings”.
I changed the horn on my accord for this reason, and am changing this one too. It’s ridiculous they put a scooter horn on anything, much less a big ass SUV

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
11,000-mile Atlas 2.0T reliability update: We've been to the dealer twice in the past month for two annoying issues:

Problem: Misfire code P0302 set the check engine light (no perceivable hesitation or misfire, and it went off in less than a day)
Solution: A technical service bulletin [TB 01-21-02] says to update the ECM software from level 001 to level 002. So far, no check engine light.

Problem: Cabin microphone stopped working with Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay/ VW Car Net stopped working and wouldn't update/ Native navigation stopped working and the location was locked in one place and wouldn't move
Solution: The technician found a "tech tip" 91-21-02TT that suggested unplugging the emergency call module (located behind the infotainment screen), and resetting it. That seems to have done the trick. The classic, "turn it off and turn it back on again" worked here.

Other notes: The car has a judder/shudder accelerating with light throttle but high load when it short shifts into second gear. It's like a wobble felt through the drivetrain that disappears as soon as the revs build. Doesn't happen in Sport mode because it holds gear longer and revs out of the judder zone. Annoying, but the dealer said it drives like others. And that was after the service advisor told me it's common of the "dual torque converter transmissions"; pretty sure he meant dual-clutch, but also, this car has the traditional torque converter (single) 8-speed auto.

For both issues, VW provided a loaner car, which I feel is exceedingly rare nowadays, though I'd be happy to never have to drive a Taos ever again. The first issue took a few days to diagnose along with two recalls, and the second issue was just an afternoon.

Anyway, I wanted to update this thread because we still love the car and it's often marred by poor reliability reports (potentially justified), which didn't faze me because I thought it was worth it considering how much better it is than competitors. Though I did buy the VW extended warranty just in case. Hasn't been too much of an inconvenience because of the loaner situation, but any more frequency, and without a loaner, and it would be a hassle.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Thanks for the update. GF 16 Outback 3.6R has 170K now and shes is ready for something new. The Outback is getting kinda maintenance heavy. She likes the Atlas or wants to try to find a unicorn manual Tacoma or 4runner. How is the idle and vibration on the 2.0T?

Idle and vibration are about average for a small four-cylinder with idle stop/start. It's not like our 2012 Subaru that would idle at 1k and start up and hang at 2k.

Reactions: The Beast

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
13,000-mile reliability update:

At 13,000 miles, we started hearing a creaking noise in the steering when the car was cold, heard from inside the car, outside the car and felt in the steering wheel and floorboards. Dealership initially said they didn't hear any noise, but then I provided them with TSB 48-20-01, “Electromechanical power steering - creaking noise when turning,” and sent them a video, at which they then performed the procedure outlined in the TSB, which it sounds like an improper torque sequence or spec on the rack's servo motor was causing too much tension in the steering gear. COOL. Sounds like they had to loosen the servo motor and re-torque to a new spec.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183508-0001.pdf

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I hate dealerships with a passion. At least you are a car guy and know what to look up and what to tell them. How have you and your wife been liking it otherwise?

You couldn’t pry this from my wife’s hands. She loves it. Im still a fan because of how easily it fits two kids under 5 and all our crap. Never have to worry about space. It’s also been nice that when we’re with parents or family, we can load up the kids and a pair of parents and everyone rides in total comfort.

I do wish it made more power, which can be addressed with any number of piggyback tuners, but would also like a different wheel and tire combo. The 20-inch wheels and tires just don’t have as nice of ride quality as the 18s or the 17s on the Basecamp.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I do wish it made more power, which can be addressed with any number of piggyback tuners, but would also like a different wheel and tire combo. The 20-inch wheels and tires just don’t have as nice of ride quality as the 18s or the 17s on the Basecamp.
LMK if you want to pick up a Neuspeed Power Module. I bought it from Dan00Hawk Dan00Hawk and the extra power is nice, but my GTI with the DSG just doesn't know what to do with that extra power, a dedicated DSG tune for me is probably more worth it than the Power Module.

I'm sure on a non-DSG model it wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Thread Info