🔧 BUILD 2021 VW Atlas 2.0T AWD Family Wagon

General Information

Added a family truckster to the stable; 2021 VW Atlas 2.0T SEL AWD. With generous incentives right now, you can get a brand new one for the price of a used 2018-2019 with 20-30k miles, so I jumped on it. Can't beat the space efficiency of this car, and it's ride/handling in its class.

For 2021, VW added the 2.0T to more trim levels, and for the first time with AWD. The 2.0T sells all of its power/torque up front, so it doesn't feel any pokier than the 3.6. It needs premium for its max power ratings, but runs decent on regular. While completely anecdotal, I feel the 2.0T has a better reliability reputation than the 3.6, so was thrilled that they added AWD to the 2.0T for 2021. It's also less expensive and more fuel-efficient, but with similar gusto. The bummer is that the 2.0T doesn't come with the R-Line, which I really gushed over but didn't want the 3.6.

Also, the new Racing Green for 2021 is pretty sweet; looks black in some light, but is dark metallic green when illuminated. The bummer for 2020 and 2021 is that VW's lengthy 72-month, 72,000-mile warranty went kaput in 2019, so the factory one is only 4 years, 50,000 miles.

50230304228_5b58b41515_b.jpg

50230304193_1154cb02ba_b.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
5,000-mile reliability update. No issues, still fantastic. Just squeaky brakes when ambient temps are cold and the brakes are cold. Might have the dealer check it out at the first oil change. I can surpass the rated fuel economy very easily, which I could never do in the 3.6 Atlas we owned at work. 21/24/22 mpg city/highway/combined for the 2.0T with AWD, and on one 160-mile round-trip I cracked off 29 mpg.

FirstWorldProblems N20GT One thing I like to use on the highway that's hidden in the UI is the lane centering function, called "Adaptive Lane Tracking," I think. It's a step above lane keep assist and will aggressively keep the car centered in its lane like Tesla AutoPilot or GM SuperCruise. It doesn't have any fancy functions otherwise, but does a good job keeping the car centered in its lane.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The one thing I'd like to do is downsize to the Atlas Basecamp 17-inch wheels. This car has great ride quality that's ruined a little by the harsh impacts of the 20-inch wheels. They ride much better with the 18s, and I'd bet like on a cloud with the 17s :rofl: They look a little goofy, though, like it could use some spacers.

Volkswagen-Atlas_Basecamp-2021-1600-01.jpg

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
5,000-mile bump. No issues, still fantastic. Just squeaky brakes when ambient temps are cold and the brakes are cold. Might have the dealer check it out at the first oil change. I can surpass the rated fuel economy very easily, which I could never do in the 3.6 Atlas we owned at work. 21/24/22 mpg city/highway/combined for the 2.0T with AWD, and on one 160-mile round-trip I cracked off 29 mpg.

FirstWorldProblems N20GT One thing I like to use on the highway that's hidden in the UI is the lane centering function, called "Adaptive Lane Tracking," I think. It's a step above lane keep assist and will aggressively keep the car centered in its lane like Tesla AutoPilot or GM SuperCruise. It doesn't have any fancy functions otherwise, but does a good job keeping the car centered in its lane.
thanks for the info! Did you change out the horn? I hate the way it sounds lol, already ordered a lower one

Thread Info