Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This isnt going to be a full fledged discussion but more of a think tank and a place for me to drop random thoughts I have and hopefully get feedback along the way.

My first random thought is this.....should we continue to have week night meets or do we start doing meets on Friday or Saturday nights (or even afternoons)? Thursday would be the exception to this. I'm going to hold on to Thursday nights like Rose held on to that raft while she let Jack die. Its no surprise that I have been slightly less than enthused by the actual TCG turnouts for our Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday meets. We've had to rely heavily on other "crews" and randoms to help carry on the meets. Obviously, this hasn't been the poster child for a "good year" and many of our members are now all growed up with long hour jobs, a family, etc etc. I dont fault you guys for that and I'm not even really complaining. But I am looking for some answers as to why every other car club seems to have killer turnouts and we're struggling to fill small parking lots, restaurants, etc. Is it the locations (which we'll 100% be improving on next year)? The weeknights? I feel like trying for something on weekends would have an even worse result but maybe I'm way off base. Or maybe it just boils down to no one wants to stand around in a parking lot anymore...and if thats the case, I totally understand that as well.

Cars & Coffee is (hopefully) slowly starting to become its own thing and the track day was awesome....so this year hasnt been all doom and gloom, but we can absolutely do better. Next year is going to be action packed, but I'm looking for good feedback to help me shape what that action looks like..

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Weekends will always be busy- Sunday mornings will probably get the best turnout on a week to week basis, not talking about huge planned things/one off type meets

Thursday nights are always great to rope off on the schedule and look forward to. The other week day nights are tough with multiple things going on, I think of it as the new "thirsty thursdays" from college lol

I don't have kids and WFH ~9-6 so I can't imagine the prioritizing it might be for many members as we continue to get older and adult for getting out to stuff

Reactions: 1quick and Mook

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I can't really say ANY time is a better time for a meet than another. Weeknights are tough because of long work hours. Weekends are tough, because that's when I have to shuttle a critter to a cross country meet or volleyball tournament, then still get yard work, house work, vehicle work, etc, all done.

When you question why other groups have such big turnouts, what is the age demo of that group? I mean, back in the day when I had my Camaro, I was young, dumb and full of c... Well, I'll just say I had a lot of time on my hands with little qualm about the world.

Most of us here are older, which as you eluded to, you understand.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This is the type of feedback I want.

And the other groups I see having great success TYPICALLY are younger but there are definitely older aged groups that have success. I guess I just need to stop comparing us to "kids". Its definitely been my achilles heel for some time. Am I using that right?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I think that's because we all think of "the good ole days"

One thing... I had to sorta take that walk down memory lane while sitting at a cross country meet Saturday morning watching the cars go by on 72. Several groups of bikers went by. A group of lowered sport trucks went by a couple times, etc. And I thought to myself... Man, I just miss the days of having someone just go out and cruise with. I'm not just talking about us getting a group together, but more having a buddy who you call on a saturday morning and say "Hey, get your whip out and let's go for a cruise..."

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I think Thursday nights should always stay. My motivation to come out to car related meets since selling my Z06 has been low but Thursday Lukes was always something I looked forward to attending. The biggest thing I miss from "back in the day" was the Village Tavern Meets. Were those weekly? On a Thursday? We need to bring back winter meets. I feel those would bring back out people like me who have moved away from the car scene. Other than that, maybe another meet or event at least once a mouth on a Saturday with plenty of notice will bring a good turnout. But honestly turn out isn't everything. I had some great times just a few of us hanging out in a random parking lot.

Edit: TCG Tour was also awesome. Just ALOT of planning and a big commitment to some.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Oh and I'm absolutely bringing TCG Tour back next year. Maybe that can be our trip to visit 95SC 95SC in Knoxville, followed by some Tail action.
After going for multiple years flying and renting and then last year driving from here, it wasn't THAT bad, however it would need to be 4 days or get most of the way there in an evening, just some feedback since you basically are planning this right now :rofl:

Reactions: Mook

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think Thursday nights should always stay. My motivation to come out to car related meets since selling my Z06 has been low but Thursday Lukes was always something I looked forward to attending. The biggest thing I miss from "back in the day" was the Village Tavern Meets. Were those weekly? On a Thursday? We need to bring back winter meets. I feel those would bring back out people like me who have moved away from the car scene. Other than that, maybe another meet or event at least once a mouth on a Saturday with plenty of notice will bring a good turnout. But honestly turn out isn't everything. I had some great times just a few of us hanging out in a random parking lot.

Edit: TCG Tour was also awesome. Just ALOT of planning and a big commitment to some.
I think Tavern was usually 2-3 times a month on Fridays?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
After going for multiple years flying and renting and then last year driving from here, it wasn't THAT bad, however it would need to be 4 days or get most of the way there in an evening, just some feedback since you basically are planning this right now :rofl:
Ya, I dunno what the plan actually will be. But I'd definitely like to head down to TN and party with Darek for a few days.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Don't over think things. Think quality, not quantity. If you get 7 or 8 guys out to a Thursday meet, who cares. It's always a good time, even in a small group. There will be days with big turnouts and small turnouts. Just having consistency like Thursdays and Sundays will eventually help things grow.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
They can fuck themselves.
giphy.gif

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Don't over think things. Think quality, not quantity. If you get 7 or 8 guys out to a Thursday meet, who cares. It's always a good time, even in a small group. There will be days with big turnouts and small turnouts. Just having consistency like Thursdays and Sundays will eventually help things grow.
I should really choose my words more carefully....I absolutely enjoy every meet we put together. Even when its 5 of us, I always end up hanging out for hours because we're just shooting the shit constantly. Thursdays are a prime exaple of that.

But you're absolutely right, overthinking has always been a big problem for me when it comes to TCG.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Older crew has responsibilities, so unless we get more younger peeps, turnout will be the usual sizes.

Personally I havent attended many meets lately simply because of no fun car and everything being an hour+ drive for me (my fault because of where I live, not TCGs)

I am down for another TCG tour and think that should be yearly but maybe make it a consistent weekend every year so planning is easier for more people to attend. Even if its not a "Tour", lets all rent out a few cabins for a weekend and make it a BRAAPPP Tour one year. Or a "TCG HANGS OUT" weekend. Driving is great, but we can only do the same roads so many times :rofl:

Thread Info