đź“° Auto News 2021 Ridgeline runs 14.8s stock. - MotorTrend

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I ended up buying a Tacoma. Why you think it’s garbage? Just curious. I value your opinion.

While there are things to like about the Tacoma that can make it a good buy depending on what you're looking for (reliability, resale value), none of it has to do with driving the truck. The engine's Atkinson's cycle sacrifices low-speed power and torque for fuel efficiency, it's six-speed automatic is geared so tall that it takes forever to get the truck into any kind of power/torque, and the result is mid-pack fuel economy. All of this is exacerbated if you do work with the truck. Toyota tried to address this with engine management changes over the years, but it's not going away until the engine does. The ride is uncontrolled and sloppy versus even the Ranger, which itself if an older platform but still rides with more composure than the Tacoma. And then you get into the TRD Off Road and it's the same except now harsh over bumps. There's more, but that's all I have off the top of my head. The TRD Pro probably makes the most sense because it's quite good at what it's supposed to do, and its weak payload/towing is less offensive as an off-roader.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Will be driving one over the weekend, picking it up today. I think it’s the special edition in Sport trim.

giphy.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Disappointment in the 9-speed. It doesn't have any of the quirky behavior of earlier ZFs but it's a mush box, which was far different than the crisp 6-speed it replaces. That's fine for a family SUV, but promotes less confidence in a truck. Still enjoy driving the truck and using it (wide bed floor without wheel well arches, multi-position tailgate before everyone else was doing it).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info