2021 Nissan 400Z Will Revive the Z-Car's Legacy with Twin-Turbo V-6 Power

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
wait, so only the awd q50/q60s have a lsd? My buddy is looking to get one and I wasnt aware of this.

None of the Q's have a LSD including red sports. They are open diffs. It just uses VDC/traction control to brake the spinning wheel. The older G series had a VLSD option and the older R200 diff was interchangeable between the 350/370Zs and G35/37s, but not the q.

AWD makes up for it a little bit, but its still a RWD-biased AWD system. On mine I can feel the inside rear wheel give on tight turns, and VDC kicks in and can be quite obtrusive. I cant imagine how bad the RWD models are. There are aftermarket LSDs though. Just based on what they left out on the red sports, I'm hoping the new Z doesnt come with similar shortfalls if they actually produce it.

Reactions: Kaeghl

JimmyGT

Regular
TCG Premium
May 22, 2016
Bartlett
Real Name
Jimmy
So we now have the GTR (skyline), Supra, NSX and this upcoming Z car. When will we see a turbo rx7 and 3000gt again?

Would love to see a turbo Rx7!! And a new 3000gt vr4 would be nasty as well...sadly I think Mitsubishi stepped out of the performance game what so ever when they discontinued the evo

Reactions: SHARKBITEATTACK

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
So we now have the GTR (skyline), Supra, NSX and this upcoming Z car. When will we see a turbo rx7 and 3000gt again?

Mazda is supposedly bringing back the rotary, but it's going to be a range extender in a hybrid CX30. They've been hinting for awhile. Mazda isn't doing so hot now though...they've borrowed about $4-5B to stay afloat right now, and are looking to borrow another ~$3B....I like Mazda a lot, but Coronavirus may actually kill them, as we know them today...

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Nissan announced a new VQ38DD engine as well as a 9 speed auto. Could one or both find its way into the new Z? A factory turbo VQ could be neat.

?? ??????’? ?????? ?? ??????, ??? ??????, ? ?????? ?? ?? ??? ?? ?????? ???????????
If you’ve been following along, you’ve seen Nissan’s recent announcement of the new VQ powerplant introduced in the 2020 Frontier, but they didn’t just bump displacement up do some wizardry in the heads. The VQ38DD is a total redesign of its predecessor, the VQ40, and with 90% new parts it’s proof that interesting things are going on in Nissan’s engine labs. The VQ38DD nomenclature tells us in simple terms that this is a VQ Series engine with 3.8L displacement, direct injection, and dual cam cylinder heads.
The VQ38 is a 310hp 3.8L direct injected V6 engine developed for the 2020 Nissan Frontier. Like the VQ35, and VQ37 engines it utilizes an open deck block with an internally balanced rotating assembly, however as you expand outwards from there the changes become very apparent. Rather than using the traditional VQ oil pump driven directly by the crankshaft, the VQ38 uses a separate chain-driven low friction variable displacement oil pump, much like what you’ll find in a GTR’s VR38 engine. The Variable Timing Control (VTC) system is strikingly similar to the one seen on the Q50 and Q60’s VR30, in fact from what little bit we’ve seen they look nearly identical. The exhaust manifold is now integrated into the cylinder head design, again a striking similarity to the VR30 engine which has a similar design, except with Garrett turbo’s mounted on either side outlet. The VVEL system that we’re all familiar with from the VQ37 engine is no longer present however hydraulic cam phasing remains. Fun fact, the engine in our time attack race car is based on the VQ35HR Hybrid engine because of its dual hydraulic cam phasing which we’ve found to be more robust than the electromagnetic cam phasing on previous generation VQ’s.
Housed in the lower intake of the VQ38 is an electronically controlled tumble valve. A tumble valve controls a variable flap in the intake manifold that improves air/fuel mixture by producing a swirl near the cylinder inlet, reducing emission and improving fuel economy and power.
The evolution of the VQ is an interesting one, and over the last 20 years we’ve learned a lot. This has us wondering…could we have been wrong in assuming the VR30 is the heart of the new Z? Maybe a larger displacement, factory turbo VQ could be in the works…

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info