Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

The sports car that everyone forgot—including Nissan, apparently—is still alive, though hardly doing well. Judged against today's sports cars, the 11-year-old Nissan 370Z is about as competitive as a bicycle. Later this year, though, Nissan will finally give the Z-car the attention it deserves by introducing a successor.

The new Z, code-named Z35, won't be a ground-up rethink. It will continue on the latest version of Nissan's FM platform and share components with the Infiniti Q60 coupe. The twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6 that makes up to 400 horsepower in the Infiniti Q50 and Q60 seems like a shoo-in. A seven-speed automatic is the only transmission available in those Infinitis, but we're hopeful that a stick shift will be offered as well. Nissan already hinted that such a thing is possible when it bolted a six-speed manual to the twin-turbo engine for a modified 370Z SEMA concept in 2019. The engine and architecture can accommodate all-wheel drive, but we doubt Nissan will go that route. The Z is a front-engine rear-wheel-drive sports car, and this one should stay true to that heritage.

The 300Z name (or 300ZX for nostalgia's sake) would make the most sense given the engine's displacement, but we predict that Nissan will instead choose 400Z to assert the new car's superiority over its predecessors. The original Datsun 240Z is said to serve as a styling inspiration. We hope that means the 400Z will present simple, clean lines rather than the busy, borderline-tortured look seen on some recent Nissan concepts and production cars. Roundish headlights and 300ZX-style taillights will reportedly serve as key retro touches.

The old-school theme won't extend inside; that's a good thing because the Z's interior is in need of a modern makeover. The cabin should retain its cozy two-seat atmosphere, but it'll benefit from the latest Nissan infotainment system and a fresh dashboard design.

Today's 370Z starts at $31,015, making it a decent performance bargain despite its age. When it goes on sale next year, the new model will see a price uptick but start somewhere in the $40,000s to undercut the Toyota Supra.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
wish they would do a completely retro 300ZX design and use that nameplate, but beggars cant be choosers in a world where Nissan is barely hanging on. 400Z doesnt make sense other than the VR30DDTT is 400 hp. For the love of god dont bother making this without a manual option. The 7 speed holds back this platform so badly.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Nissan needs to step up here. The 370z styling was one that I was not a fan of from the start and never grew on me. If they actually make it look and perform well against similar cars I think they would be onto something. Twin turbo is definitely a good start! The look and name suggestions in this article are not. I think they should cater to more toward the 300ZX and 240SX fans that grew up! A lot of us can afford nicer newer cars now.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
wish they would do a completely retro 300ZX design and use that nameplate, but beggars cant be choosers in a world where Nissan is barely hanging on. 400Z doesnt make sense other than the VR30DDTT is 400 hp. For the love of god dont bother making this without a manual option. The 7 speed holds back this platform so badly.

As I think the resident VR/VQ whatever Nissan expert, how are the tuning options for that engine? Tune gains?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I agree, the 7spd auto is a weak link. Why not a 7spd manual? The C7 'vettes had them.

For the Infiniti (Q series) they need to step up the quality. Got to drive my friends Lexus RC (2015) and when I got back into my car I was suddenly depressed.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
As I think the resident VR/VQ whatever Nissan expert, how are the tuning options for that engine? Tune gains?

far far from expert, I just daily a stock Q50 red sport. Pretty good tuning options, AMS was one of the first iirc. Their tune will get bump it ~460wtq and ~420whp. Stock is around 350wtq and whp iirc? The factory turbos are small but spool fast. Heatsoak is a big issue even stock. A bigger heat exchanger and bigger downpipes help. Turbo swaps are getting more popular. Factory 7AT is questionable how much tq it can really handle too.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I wish they'd do a 90s "retro" revival of sports cars starting with this. Maybe start bringing back popup headlights while they're at it.

If Nissan lasts at a company a car like this will really help their image. Seeing the 370z at the autoshow in February was the saddest thing ever. It was like, "why are you still here!".

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I had heard it was only good up to about 400 HP, after that they like to grenade... True? Not true?

I'm bone stock, but I'd like to run it on a a dyno to see if it can be dialed in a bit better, just need a shop with the right software (whatever that is). I did the same with my truck, albeit switching from 87 to 89 octane. No mods, but cleaned up the air/fuel, vacuum, and timing. Made a huge difference on throttle response, fuel mileage, and of course, brought more ponies to the party. When you stood on it you could see unspent gas blowing out the exhaust. Turned that into power :p

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I had heard it was only good up to about 400 HP, after that they like to grenade... True? Not true?

I'm bone stock, but I'd like to run it on a a dyno to see if it can be dialed in a bit better, just need a shop with the right software (whatever that is). I did the same with my truck, albeit switching from 87 to 89 octane. No mods, but cleaned up the air/fuel, vacuum, and timing. Made a huge difference on throttle response, fuel mileage, and of course, brought more ponies to the party. When you stood on it you could see unspent gas blowing out the exhaust. Turned that into power :p

the q50/60 group I follow says it should handle 500-550 lbft of torque before needing it built. I know the last gen Nissan Titan pickup and Armada used it with different gearing for towing.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I want a new 240z style car. Long hood, short deck.

1588282469666.png

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Japan’s Spyder7 alleges the next-generation model will spawn a range-topping 480Z model, but the name apparently won’t be linked to the engine’s displacement as it has been the case with its predecessors. In other words, don’t expect the Nissan 480Z to use a 4.8-liter engine as the model’s designation has reportedly been chosen to illustrate the power delivered by the engine – 480 hp.

As previously reported, this new juicy rumor also speculates the next Z car will borrow the twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 from the Infiniti Q60. If the information included in the article is accurate, the engine’s output would represent a healthy boost of 80 hp over the Q60 Red Sport 400. Torque is not mentioned, but it stands at 350 pound-feet (475 Newton-meters) in the flagship version of Infiniti’s swoopy luxury coupe.

With Nissan being cash-strapped as a consequence of weakening sales, it’s highly unlikely the car will ride on a platform developed from scratch since that would require a major investment. While the styling will greatly change, it is believed the platform will make use of existing hardware adapted for the sports car to keep costs in check.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
On the Infiniti side I'd like more sound deadening/dampening materials used. The G series let in way too much road noise for their intended purpose. On a SPL meter, at 75mph the interior cabin noise is as loud as my 2007 Silverado with AT tires. That's not good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info