đź“° Auto News 2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 to be 'most track-capable' non-Shelby Mustang ever

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora

giphy.gif

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
If cars could procreate, and the Ford Mustang Bullitt and high-performance Shelby variants got together and threw on a little Marvin Gaye, the result would be the new Mach 1 Mustang. After a 17-year hiatus, the Mach 1 is back, and it's powered by a more powerful 480-hp 5.0-liter V-8, has the same ivory white cue-ball shifter as the Bullitt (if you choose to #SaveTheManuals), and is fitted with all sorts of track-ready upgrades from the Shelby GT350 and GT500.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The Mach 1 should be a parts bin whore.

Cross plane crank
5.2 block
5.2 heads.
I realize a CJ mani is a bitch to fit in a S550 so use the Bullitt intake manifold.
8k rpm 5.2 lets say even 520hp NA engine.
GT350 brakes
DCT trans.
Add some Mach 1 cosmetics call it done.

They already have the PP2 car this should be aimed at the 1320 Scat pack Challengers as a Fast reasonably priced straight lined car like the last Mach 1 that wasnt designed for a road course they had a Cobra R shortly before in 2000.
You talk about cars like a 14 year old lol. So you think a high revving NA engine with no torque is the right platform to use to compete with quarter mile cars? ?

High revving engines with low torque #'s are for road courses. Period. That's why the gt350 is slow AF in a straight line. It's designed to stay in its powerband on a road course, not race from a dig

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
You talk about cars like a 14 year old lol. So you think a high revving NA engine with no torque is the right platform to use to compete with quarter mile cars? ?

High revving engines with low torque #'s are for road courses. Period. That's why the gt350 is slow AF in a straight line. It's designed to stay in its powerband on a road course, not race from a dig

A direct injected and port injected 5.2 engine would make more torque than the FPC GT350.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017

I like that we say a car that does 0-60 ~4.0 and the 1/4 mile in low 12's is slow AF. I understand what you're getting at though.

Counterpoint: The GM factory backed cars that endurance race have been pretty successful with their relatively low revving engines.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
MagneRide, Tremec 6-speed, lots of suspension & aero upgrades, Torque the GT350 doesn't have, and MP4S tires available. Not too shabby for starting at $50K.

I am really curious how this matches up to the PP2. The extra coolers and the better trans will definitely help. Also the MP4S tires are standard, with the wider Cup 2's optional

Reactions: Rent Free

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am really curious how this matches up to the PP2. The extra coolers and the better trans will definitely help. Also the MP4S tires are standard, with the wider Cup 2's optional

The trans is a upgrade in reliability alone. I just wish they had gearing more like the 2011-14 MT-82. It was nice to have a rear-end gear like the 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73 and have the steep gearing in the trans with the overdrive. That was my favorite thing about that trans I had.

I am interested to see comparisons as well. I can dream that Randy Probst would have the GT350, PP2, Mach 1 base, and Mach 1 with handling package on the Streets of Willow. All on the same day. But heck, even just hearing what he thinks of the car alone will be a good indication of the car. As he loves the GT350 and has plenty of laps in them.

Reactions: Rent Free

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The trans is a upgrade in reliability alone. I just wish they had gearing more like the 2011-14 MT-82. It was nice to have a rear-end gear like the 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73 and have the steep gearing in the trans with the overdrive. That was my favorite thing about that trans I had.

I am interested to see comparisons as well. I can dream that Randy Probst would have the GT350, PP2, Mach 1 base, and Mach 1 with handling package on the Streets of Willow. All on the same day. But heck, even just hearing what he thinks of the car alone will be a good indication of the car. As he loves the GT350 and has plenty of laps in them.

Agreed...I had heard some reactions that the PP2 car just wasn't as poised as the GT350, and was more easily upset...I don't know if that had to do with suspension tuning, tires, or a combination thereof. I kind of hope most of the GT350 settings made its way to the Mach 1 and less PP2.

Reactions: Pressure Ratio
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info