2020 (well, 2021) Tokyo summer olympics

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I posted this on another forum. My niece (the family we moved to Florida, specifically so she could train for the US Gymnastics team), did something to her foot shortly after getting there. While it has healed and she's back on course, I watch videos from her at the US Gymnastics talent meet back in May and something seems missing to me. I think it's her concentrating too hard on how she plants that foot on landings. Especially on that thin beam. When she should be concentrating on the routine. She just seems to be missing the "pop" she had before. So yea, there is a little bit of confidence I feel.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It's not about beating Russia. My kids were all involved in sports. None of them ever left their team hanging. My older daughter went down state so she played at a high level. My son broke his finger during a baseball game and completed the game with the swollen broken finger. I was really proud of him. He had a legit reason to sit out and stayed in there because he was helping the team. We took him to get it splinted up after the game. He's a tough kid.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
It's not about beating Russia. My kids were all involved in sports. None of them ever left their team hanging. My older daughter went down state so she played at a high level. My son broke his finger during a baseball game and completed the game with the swollen broken finger. I was really proud of him. He had a legit reason to sit out and stayed in there because he was helping the team. We took him to get it splinted up after the game. He's a tough kid.
Played down state :ROFLMAO:.

• Haha
Reactions: Shawn1112

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Have your kids gone to the downstate tournaments? If they have, you would realize it's hundreds of hours of meets and practice to get there. A small percentage of the state's athletes make it. Our lives revolved around my older daughter's track and field, my son's baseball and my younger daughter's softball. They all worked their asses off to be the best they could be. I would never minimize the effort they put into it.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
As I said, she ran her best time. I would actually be worried about her 800 or 1,500. In this particular 400, she had nearly a 3/4 second lead on Titmus around the 200m - 300m point. She was pulling away quite easily, but that last 100m or so, she simply ran out of gas.

I hope the gymnastics team gets their swagger going. But to me, it's showing that they aren't just gonna walk in and get handed the medals that everyone expects them to win.

With the exception of the second set, the U.S. was behind in most of the time. In the second set, they had 3 chances to take the set point, but hit the net on serve 2x IIRC.

The BB team is just a mess.
Worried Eh? Just took gold in 1500 ;)

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Have your kids gone to the downstate tournaments? If they have, you would realize it's hundreds of hours of meets and practice to get there. A small percentage of the state's athletes make it. Our lives revolved around my older daughter's track and field, my son's baseball and my younger daughter's softball. They all worked their asses off to be the best they could be. I would never minimize the effort they put into it.
No one is minimizing your kids efforts. I would just not personally compare to what elite gymnasts go through. I am very familiar with the dedication as a parent an athlete these things take. As far as my kids it's not a pissing match. But ya we just got back from Nationals with my daughter where she placed 6th in her age group. Son runs track and cross as well at school that has finished top 20 in nation past couple years. We are traveling all the time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
No one is minimizing your kids efforts. I would just not personally compare to what elite gymnasts go through. I am very familiar with the dedication as a parent an athlete these things take. As far as my kids it's not a pissing match. But ya we just got back from Nationals with my daughter where she placed 6th in her age group. Son runs track and cross as well at school that has finished top 20 in nation past couple years. We are traveling all the time.
Congrats to your kids! I hope you understand I didn't like you laughing at my daughter's efforts to get downstate. She worked very hard to make it happen. Her high jump record may still be up on the Lincolnway wall. Lincolnway is another school that does not slack in sports.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Congrats to your kids! I hope you understand I didn't like you laughing at my daughter's efforts to get downstate. She worked very hard to make it happen.
Not about that Flyn. Your just to overly sensitive. I just don't think your comment on Simone made sense. Just my opinion which im allowed to have just like you.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Tom Brady? LeBron? I feel sorry for Simone quitting but I just don't understand her thinking.

Following Simone Biles' shocking withdrawal from the team gymnastics competition at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday, many have applauded her for focusing on her mental health. But conservative talk radio hosts Clay Travis and Buck Sexton had little compassion for the star athlete, indicating on their Tuesday show that Biles' decision was selfish.

ā€œWe all have emotional and psychological struggles,ā€ Sexton said. ā€œThatā€™s just a constant of being a human being. But what about your teammates?ā€

Travis wondered how fans would react if Tom Brady or LeBron James did something similar by pulling out of a major game because they couldn't handle the stress.

ā€œI feel like LeBron, actually, he might do that,ā€ Sexton said.

The two hosts denounced the groundswell of support Biles received from social media, questioning the "bravery" of choosing to not compete.

ā€œThe blue checks have already rallied to Simone Biles' defense and said, ā€˜Oh, itā€™s so brave,'" Travis said.

ā€œWhy is this brave?ā€ Sexton asked. ā€œWhatā€™s brave about not being brave? 'Cause thatā€™s what weā€™re talking about here. This is, ā€˜Oh, you didnā€™t stand up to the bully?ā€™ No, I think thatā€™s the not brave move.ā€

ā€œI think that we have created a generation of athletes thatā€¦ get influenced by the pressure and the constant drumbeat of interactions on social media, Instagram, Twitter, whatever it might be,ā€ Travis said. ā€œAnd those apps, I believe, are profoundly unhealthy for most teenagers. A lot of times, youā€™re listening to people who donā€™t understand you very well and you allow their perspective on you to overwhelm you psychologically.ā€

He continued, ā€œThis is without precedent. I canā€™t ever remember an elite athlete calling out of a game and saying, 'The stress and the pressure of the game got to be too much, I couldnā€™t perform.'"

Simone:

Following her decision to drop out of the team competition at the Tokyo Games, Biles explained she had no physical injury but was "dealing with a few things" in regards to her mental health.

"It's been a really stressful Olympic Games as a whole; not having an audience -- there are a lot of different variables going into [the Games]," she said. "It's been a long week. It's been a long Olympic process/year. I think we're a little bit too stressed out. We should be out here having fun, and sometimes that's not the case."

Biles told journalists at a press conference later on Tuesday that she is taking some time off to prioritize her ā€œwellbeing.ā€

ā€œThere is more to life than just gymnastics and it is very unfortunate that it has to happen at this stage because I definitely wanted this Olympics to go a little better, but again, take it one day at a time,ā€ she said. ā€œWe're going to see how the rest goes.ā€

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think sheā€™s pissed they nerfed herā€¦.

The Olympic committee said moves that only she can pull off will be graded lower because others might get hurt trying to attempt themā€¦.

Id say fuck off as well.

what a fucking world.

hey travis pastrana your double backflip is worth 72 points and a single backflip is worth 84 cuz no one else can do the double so yeah sorry

giphy.gif

Stink Star

Donā€™t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
There is a good argument to be made that she did the right thing for herself by stepping out, and she was performing poorly so it may have even been the best for the team. But call me a boomer or whatever, I think this cements her as not being the GOAT despite all of her skills.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
There is a good argument to be made that she did the right thing for herself by stepping out, and she was performing poorly so it may have even been the best for the team. But call me a boomer or whatever, I think this cements her as not being the GOAT despite all of her skills.
I agree with this

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I think sheā€™s pissed they nerfed herā€¦.

The Olympic committee said moves that only she can pull off will be graded lower because others might get hurt trying to attempt themā€¦.

Id say fuck off as well.

Kinda on this note, watching the US and ROC do their routines last night, I kept questioning the "difficulty" grades being given. To me, the ROC was doing much more complex/difficult moves/sets and their difficulty scale was equivalent to the US who wasn't doing these fancy things. Maybe that's just me though. I guess I don't understand the scale of how they determine this. I mean, I get that there are certain moves that require it, but...

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Kinda on this note, watching the US and ROC do their routines last night, I kept questioning the "difficulty" grades being given. To me, the ROC was doing much more complex/difficult moves/sets and their difficulty scale was equivalent to the US who wasn't doing these fancy things. Maybe that's just me though. I guess I don't understand the scale of how they determine this. I mean, I get that there are certain moves that require it, but...
There is a literal score book of difficulties for every move.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info