2020 GM HD Duramax Twins to feature 10-speed transmissions

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
wait. has it been posted in here that the new diesels will have a 10 speed allison?

An all-new, segment-first, Allison 10-speed automatic transmission mated to the legendary 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel.

:nutz:

Allison Transmission | Investors | News Release

Allison Transmission Holdings Inc. (NYSE: ALSN), the largest global provider of commercial duty fully automatic transmissions, announced today, along with Chevrolet, the availability of a 10-speed, fully automatic transmission in the new Class 2/3, 2020 Silverado 2500/3500 HD trucks. Equipped with the Allison branded 10-speed transmission, the 2020 Silverado HD will debut in February 2019.

“We built the new 2020 Silverado HD with more differentiation than ever before, to meet the needs and priorities of our customers,” said Jaclyn McQuaid, chief engineer, Silverado HD. “By offering the new Allison 10-speed, tested and validated in partnership with Allison Transmission, each transmission will deliver the legendary quality and durability that customers have come to expect.

The Allison branded automatic transmission, manufactured by General Motors, combines enhanced performance and fuel economy, greater operational flexibility, and improved driver comfort and control, with an industry-leading reputation for uptime and reliability. Designed for high-performance and low-maintenance, the Allison 10-speed coupled with Chevrolet’s Duramax diesel engines provide the superior power delivery and productivity customers demand.

“We are pleased that General Motors continues to expand the range of Allison products available for their customers with the 2020 Silverado HD,” said Randy Kirk, senior vice president Product Engineering and Program Management, Allison Transmission. “Allison Transmission and GM have a long history of collaboration and innovation. Recently, Allison Transmission announced production of the 6-speed fully automatic transmission, designed for Chevrolet’s Silverado 4500 HD, 5500 HD and 6500 HD medium-duty trucks.”

The 6-speed fully automatic transmission, manufactured by Allison Transmission, is the exclusive, commercial-duty transmission for Silverado chassis cab medium-duty commercial trucks.

“General Motors and Allison Transmission engineers have worked closely to provide optimal integration and help drive Chevrolet’s hardest-working trucks since the 1950s. As a company, we are dedicated to engineering and manufacturing the most productive and reliable transmissions that improve the way our customers work,” said John Coll, senior vice president Global Marketing, Sales and Service, Allison Transmission.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
That would seem to be a ton of shifting from a 10spd.

Lemme introduce you to my friend mr semi truck, 10-16 speeds.

Powerband like KJ said, Gets fuel efficiency numbers down at the top end of things, smaller engines can move heavier loads with more gear too so increased towing capacity

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm really surprised more people aren't talking about the 10-speed allison with how people swing from allison tranny's.

today was the first i read about it having one.

I still really am interested in the gas offering though.

I wonder what bugs they are working out with it though to have dropped basically 0 information about it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Allison Transmission | Investors | News Release

Allison Transmission Holdings Inc. (NYSE: ALSN), the largest global provider of commercial duty fully automatic transmissions, announced today, along with Chevrolet, the availability of a 10-speed, fully automatic transmission in the new Class 2/3, 2020 Silverado 2500/3500 HD trucks. Equipped with the Allison branded 10-speed transmission, the 2020 Silverado HD will debut in February 2019.

“We built the new 2020 Silverado HD with more differentiation than ever before, to meet the needs and priorities of our customers,” said Jaclyn McQuaid, chief engineer, Silverado HD. “By offering the new Allison 10-speed, tested and validated in partnership with Allison Transmission, each transmission will deliver the legendary quality and durability that customers have come to expect.

The Allison branded automatic transmission, manufactured by General Motors, combines enhanced performance and fuel economy, greater operational flexibility, and improved driver comfort and control, with an industry-leading reputation for uptime and reliability. Designed for high-performance and low-maintenance, the Allison 10-speed coupled with Chevrolet’s Duramax diesel engines provide the superior power delivery and productivity customers demand.

“We are pleased that General Motors continues to expand the range of Allison products available for their customers with the 2020 Silverado HD,” said Randy Kirk, senior vice president Product Engineering and Program Management, Allison Transmission. “Allison Transmission and GM have a long history of collaboration and innovation. Recently, Allison Transmission announced production of the 6-speed fully automatic transmission, designed for Chevrolet’s Silverado 4500 HD, 5500 HD and 6500 HD medium-duty trucks.”

The 6-speed fully automatic transmission, manufactured by Allison Transmission, is the exclusive, commercial-duty transmission for Silverado chassis cab medium-duty commercial trucks.

“General Motors and Allison Transmission engineers have worked closely to provide optimal integration and help drive Chevrolet’s hardest-working trucks since the 1950s. As a company, we are dedicated to engineering and manufacturing the most productive and reliable transmissions that improve the way our customers work,” said John Coll, senior vice president Global Marketing, Sales and Service, Allison Transmission.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
exactly, what im curious about. I wasnt saying it wont work just seems excessive to have a 10spd behind a diesel. MPG's would certainly go up im sure.

excessive is 110% necessary in these consumer HD trucks though.

everyone gets a boner over who has 5 more foot pounds of tq than the next guy, year in and year out.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Lemme introduce you to my friend mr semi truck, 10-16 speeds.

Powerband like KJ said, Gets fuel efficiency numbers down at the top end of things, smaller engines can move heavier loads with more gear too so increased towing capacity

I'm surprised to hear this. I get why it was such a benefit for the gas 6cyl trucks, but i'm really curious how a 10sp trans behind a 900 ft lb engine will drive. I feel like half the gears will be useless

put so eloquently by [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info