Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://youtu.be/wecVzPzf8R4

Ford says “over 700 hp,” but we won’t know exactly how much power until later this year.
Update: This post has been updated with live images.

The last several years have been a boon to automotive enthusiasts, as automakers find new and creative ways to shoehorn more and more power into their cars. The Dodge Challenger is the poster child for this movement. It started life with just 425 horsepower, but variants like the Demon have nearly doubled that number. It’s the same with the Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette. And now, the Ford Mustang is joining in on the fun with the 2020 Shelby GT500.

153 Photos

The first GT500 since the Mustang ditched its solid rear axle, there’s still a lot we don’t know about this car, despite its debut at today’s North American International Auto Show. For example, while Ford confirmed that it will carry a supercharged 5.2-liter V8 and a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, the Blue Oval is playing coy on total output.

At a backgrounder last week, the automaker told Motor1.com that the GT500 would pack over 700 horsepower, but said it was still fiddling with the car’s powerplant and wouldn’t have a final output figure until fall of 2019. Ditto with the torque output. The rumor mill, though, seems pegged on around 750 horsepower and over 700 pound-feet of torque. As for Ford, the company is promising a sub-11-second quarter-mile time, while the GT500 should be able to get to 60 in the mid-three-second range.

Wild Mustang:
2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500: Everything We Know

2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Vs. Challenger Hellcat, Camaro ZL1

What we do know is that this powertrain isn’t some old hunk of iron with a blower attached to it. Ford engineers flipped the 2.7-liter supercharger upside down and somehow tucked the intercooler between the cylinder banks, all in a bid to lower the center of gravity on the all-aluminum mill. There are high-flow aluminum cylinder heads and forged connecting rods and a trick oil pan with active baffles to keep the engine lubricated through high-G turns – this is a thoroughly modern engine. It also sounds thoroughly angry. Check out the B-roll above, and be sure to turn the volume up.

The same is true of the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Complete with a rotary shifter, the new Tremec gearbox is the only available option available for consumers. But why no manual? The answer is both simple and predictable. In fact, it’s the same reason that Ferrari and Lamborghini have abandoned manual gearboxes, and why the new Porsche 911 is launching with a two-pedal setup first – the automatic option is faster. According to Ford, the Tremec seven-speed can execute upshifts in just 100 milliseconds, which is incredibly fast.

2020-ford-shelby-gt500.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I wonder where all the weight came from? The blower and all the cooling add that much?

It was a question, not a statement. haha

Did they mention weights? Base versus carbon fiber options probably saves some good weight. But I bet the base car is heavy. The GT350 (non-R) isn't exactly a light weight. Now add a blower, lots of extra cooling, heavier trans, and so on. I bet it isn't a lightweight base car.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Playing catchup on news today.

The 500 might get a manual.

We spoke with Carl Widdman, head engineer for Ford Performance and the Mustang, just after the GT500 was unveiled in Detroit today. I asked if we could see a three-pedal GT500 in the future.

"Right now, we're DCT-only, [but] we get feedback, and we're real tight with the Mustang crowd," Widdman said. I asked if that meant a manual was on the table. "We always listen to what our customers want, right?" he said with a grin.

That's not a confirmation, of course, but it's hardly a denial either. So if there is sufficient demand for a manual GT500, Ford Performance might very well make it a reality. You know what to do, folks.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...ord-mustang-shelby-gt500-dct-manual-possible/

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Aren't you the retard that flipped a 400rwhp car cause you can't handle a V8? :rofl:

Speaking of retarded, I fixed your comment. I'm just wondering what the "too" was in regards to? Were you saying that you're retarded and that I am "too"? lol

Dont be a dildo and ramble on for another 3 or 4 or however many pages......

The gear comnent was sarcastic thats why it had a :s00ls: buuuuuuuut thats too hard for you to figure out and you took it literally.

Dont be retarded.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Now make it cheap enough for normal people to buy and I’m in, sounds a lot like the roush blower hopefully there’s a bigger inlet so it’s not as restrictive for future mods
I guarantee it will have ADM and be marked up to at least 125k for the first couple years.
Dont be a dildo and ramble on for another 3 or 4 or however many pages......

The gear comnent was sarcastic thats why it had a :s00ls: buuuuuuuut thats too hard for you to figure out and you took it literally.

Dont be retarded.
You mean how you've rambled on about the god damn headlights in about 50 posts. LOL ok I'll stop, dildo!

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
The headlight thing is odd.

It doesn't make financial sense to have 2 separate parts when one could be used. Even if cost is similar, you risk excess or constrained inventory. The only thing I can think of is they procured too many 2015 style lights, and they are trying to deplete the inventory on them.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I bet the old headlights are due to the design of the bumper & fenders as well as the vents.

The 2018 style headlights look wider than the earlier ones. As well as are part of the side shape of the car. The 2018 style make up the space between the fender & bumper. Whereas the smaller 2015 style allow them to have the headlight come in closer and allow for the vents and bumper/fender to make the shape of the side of the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info