2020 Ford GT500 Unveiled

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This is purely personal preference, but having driven both last year, I’d go GT500 in a heartbeat. It’s just such a damn street bruiser. Unapologetic overkill. But you also have to look at it as the new Vette being in the basement of special editions and performance packages, and the GT500 at the top of its game. I’m sure sure the C8 will eventually get some of that brutality in higher spec packages.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
GT500 for looks for sure. This base Vette idk, it’s just not a good looking car. To make it semi decent you are pushing 75-80k retail non inflated prices. But again, ugly in my opinion.

However performance wise the Vette is nuts. Cutting sub 3 seconds to 60 and it’s not even the ZO6 is crazy. And from random videos I’ve seen walks away from the GT500 from a dig just being able to plant the power it has better.

Just watched an LMR video where they slapped nitrous on to the new Vette and it’s already having transmission slipping issues at mid 500 hp. That’s not a good sign for future modifications. It was only a 100-150 shot. So basically any light mods and you are decent money into this car.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
GT500 for looks for sure. This base Vette idk, it’s just not a good looking car. To make it semi decent you are pushing 75-80k retail non inflated prices. But again, ugly in my opinion.

However performance wise the Vette is nuts. Cutting sub 3 seconds to 60 and it’s not even the ZO6 is crazy. And from random videos I’ve seen walks away from the GT500 from a dig just being able to plant the power it has better.

Just watched an LMR video where they slapped nitrous on to the new Vette and it’s already having transmission slipping issues at mid 500 hp. That’s not a good sign for future modifications. It was only a 100-150 shot. So basically any light mods and you are decent money into this car.

The gt500 with a pulley swap and tune and maybe headers has to be insane if Bru is saying it’s a street bruiser stock.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The gt500 with a pulley swap and tune and maybe headers has to be insane if Bru is saying it’s a street bruiser stock.

Agreed. I was comparing stock to stock how crazy the vette really is from a dig.

Power adding though, not good from the Vette side if a 100 shot was showing transmission slip already. That means the car is maxed as is.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4903.jpg

This color is sick in person this with black stripes and black roof is

giphy.gif

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Spent a couple days in the GT500 around August. Without a doubt one of my favorite rides of the year. Monster torque engines and DCTs are a harmonious combo. And this one is done exceptionally well. It's wild that even in the booming mid-range torque it can click off seamless shifts and not disrupt power delivery or weight transfer. No bang-shifts and it's perfectly smooth at WOT. Fantastic.

I read and heard how engineers got the car to have quick shifts without causing driveline shock. As to not hit the tires hard, cause spin, or to upset the chassis. A quick shift without a hard-hitting clutch engagement is probably not easy to do. Especially with all that torque. As well that it finds the correct gear depending on the speed, throttle input, and so on. Pretty impressive since the only other DCT they had developed calibrations for was in the Ford GT. Which has a lot less weight and power.

People keep complaining about how the car doesn't have a manual trans option. I argue that this car probably would be nowhere as good of a car with a manual trans. The DCT is a major ingredient in the recipe.

Reactions: dpwalsh14 and Bru

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I read and heard how engineers got the car to have quick shifts without causing driveline shock. As to not hit the tires hard, cause spin, or to upset the chassis. A quick shift without a hard-hitting clutch engagement is probably not easy to do. Especially with all that torque. As well that it finds the correct gear depending on the speed, throttle input, and so on. Pretty impressive since the only other DCT they had developed calibrations for was in the Ford GT. Which has a lot less weight and power.

People keep complaining about how the car doesn't have a manual trans option. I argue that this car probably would be nowhere as good of a car with a manual trans. The DCT is a major ingredient in the recipe.

I think the argument can be made the manual is pretty dead. Unless you want it for the pure driving experience, no real other benefits. The new stuff is just too good.

Reactions: The Beast

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Agreed. Especially with the power levels these cars are coming out with these days.

I believe it was the Veloster N with the new DCT that people were praising making the car better than the manual. In lap times and driving experience. So even with low hp cars, a good DCT can be beneficial to many owners. The market wants them too. Porsche dropped the manual in the GT3 and the internet shouted how the world wants a true driver's car to be a manual. They brought the manual back and not many buyers optioned their cars with the manual. lol

Reactions: The Beast

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

We can’t forget to thank Tremec either. Because Ford’s other DCT transmission, the PowerShit, was a steamy hot mess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info