2020 Ford GT500 Unveiled

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I mean at leas they were honest that they're doing this in cold weather :rofl:

I'm shocked the cars even hooked like they did. Traction control must have been going apeshit.

I like the test, but I would be interested in them being on all the same tire or something close. I just don’t think it proves much.

With that being said, the GT500 is an awesome ride.....here comes the beating of the dead horse, it’s too bad that it doesn’t come with a manual transmission.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
giphy.gif

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The DCT make that car. With a stick it would be 70%-80% of what it is.

I totally get the enjoyment of driving a stick car. This GT500 seems to have world class handling and a stick would be interesting to drive. But a manual trans and clutch to work with the power and weight of the car is going to get hard to be functional and offer a warranty. I'm going to bet if you drive this car with a DCR you will see it is the right trans for the car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
No doubt it shifts fast, I have no interest in an auto. I guess why even have a steering wheel, let’s let the car do that too.

I have strong feelings about manual transmissions and the engagement they give you with a car. I loved my 2011 GT manual. I didn't enjoy my 2015 GT nearly as much due to the auto. The higher stall made it a lot more fun. But it was still lacking the fun I had with the 2011. I purposely bought a 997.1 911 to get the Turbo and a manual trans. Between the manual trans, the limited electronic nannys, and the mix of old 911 & newer offerings. That was the experience I wanted with that car.

That being said, the 2020 GT500 has the only trans that makes sense for the car. I doubt we will see a manual trans come back to the GT500. Not with the power these cars are making now and with their weight.

Now I would love to drive a GT350 with it's manual and the DCT. THAT would be the Shelby that would be a hard choice to pick one over the other! The DTC would be quicker around a road course. But at its power level, I am not sure the DCT would be as fun on the street or on the road course.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Ford did their homework on the GT500 and I can forgive them for taking so long to get to market. Ford definitely changed the game within this segment and GM & Dodge are going to have to play catch up with their next iteration.

I'm generally a manual guy, but the new technology that's out there is pretty amazing. Ford's DCT shifts faster than anyone can in a manual, is repetitive/consistent, and works with very sophisticated launch control tech to put the power down effectively. You lose all of that with a manual.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I personally never owned a car with an automatic transmission and always preferred a manual. But after driving the wife's new Infiniti that has a DCT, I really like it a lot.
I've seen what Ferrari and Porsche have done with DCT's and it's impressive. I think I'm finally ready to give up the stick and like my next car to have a DCT.

If I were to have one complaint with the DCT, it's the issues some of them have with extreme cold weather. In the Infiniti, it can do some crazy shit until it warms up after a few minutes. It's still an evolving tech, but will only get better.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I have a feeling my next sports car might have a DCT. I love driving the manual, but feel like I can never drive it to it's full potential. I'm decent at it, but not able to consistently leave a light with the quickness. Also, I can't really step on it much when the wife's in the car because she hates the jerkiness of the shifts.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I have strong feelings about manual transmissions and the engagement they give you with a car. I loved my 2011 GT manual. I didn't enjoy my 2015 GT nearly as much due to the auto. The higher stall made it a lot more fun. But it was still lacking the fun I had with the 2011. I purposely bought a 997.1 911 to get the Turbo and a manual trans. Between the manual trans, the limited electronic nannys, and the mix of old 911 & newer offerings. That was the experience I wanted with that car.

That being said, the 2020 GT500 has the only trans that makes sense for the car. I doubt we will see a manual trans come back to the GT500. Not with the power these cars are making now and with their weight.

Now I would love to drive a GT350 with it's manual and the DCT. THAT would be the Shelby that would be a hard choice to pick one over the other! The DTC would be quicker around a road course. But at its power level, I am not sure the DCT would be as fun on the street or on the road course.

For me I think initially the car would be fun to drive, but then the novelty would wear off for me. The more cars become automated the more the driving engagement/experience is reduced. I am not interested in it.

I understand that I am in the minority in my thoughts here as it relates to this car and that is fine. I drive a higher horsepower fat pig banger car and I don't have a problem with it. I am not sure how the GT500 is much different in that respect.

Reactions: 219Cobra and cdh027
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info