Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

And then there's the transmission. Ford made the bold decision to release the GT500 with only one gearbox available—a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic, developed with Tremec and found in no other Ford product. In self-shifting mode, the dual-clutch snaps off swift, crisp gear changes. In manual mode? Those paddles might as well be hard-wired directly to your brain. Upshifts are instant, quicker than I remember experiencing in some recent Ferraris. The first few times you squeeze off an upshift at speed, it feels like you're playing an early-days racing video game with 8-bit sound effects. The thing just blinks into the next gear, as immediate as a hand clap.

On the whole, Ford has created something that drives, acts and looks like no other car in the Mustang lineup. The GT500 is quicker than any of its siblings, obviously, with a 3.3-second 0-60 sprint and a 10.7-second quarter-mile. But it's how it does that—and how it tackles corners with flow and finesse, how it sticks to the road like no pony car has ever had a right to. If you drove it blindfolded, you'd swear it was a bona-fide sports car, not the hot-rod big brother of the $27,000 four-banger coupe at your local Ford store.

I'll level with you: The GT500 is too quick for me to grasp its full potential in the short amount of track time Ford offered us on this one-day media drive. It would take me a week, a month, to tiptoe my way up to this car's stratospheric limits on any track. But it never felt overwhelming. This car, with its 760 horses, never once felt like it was trying to get away from me, like it was bound to run me out of talent and off into the infield. It was composed, predictable, infinitely finesse-able. And that, more than the power figures and acceleration numbers, is Ford's greatest accomplishment with the new GT500.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Supposedly from M6G they were not allowed to change tire pressure or anything else.

I said on M6G 1st thing id do is drop tire pressure and people freaked out Bahhhhh But Butt Butttt you cant do that!!!

:dunno:

You trust way too much of what you read in the internet. Lmao

The car had been tested many times before the cars were let loose to the media in Vegas. Some testing was done by Evan Smith too. There were pictures of the car in Florida at a private rental when that happened. So tire pressures were adjusted to what they had found as the optimal pressure for a specific burnout.

Anyways...

Here is more info on how the car was run at different times. And how the ET changed with passes.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I would bet that a stock one will go 9's eventually. Mine shaft air, tail wind, and so on. Maybe it will need the help of a drag radial. But expect good things once tuned and nodded.

Now let's see if it is quicker around a road course than a ZL1 1LE.

The GT500 does have 110 hp on the ZL1 1LE, but gives up 150 pounds...But we've seen the Camaro, time and time again, make cars that cost 3-4 times as much, look absolutely foolish, even when power and weight are considered...I think the GT500 ends up falling short of the ZL1 1LE on short, slow, technical courses, but the GT500 eeks passed on longer faster tracks like VIR, for the Lightning Lap.

Reactions: Rent Free

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The GT500 does have 110 hp on the ZL1 1LE, but gives up 150 pounds...But we've seen the Camaro, time and time again, make cars that cost 3-4 times as much, look absolutely foolish, even when power and weight are considered...I think the GT500 ends up falling short of the ZL1 1LE on short, slow, technical courses, but the GT500 eeks passed on longer faster tracks like VIR, for the Lightning Lap.

The initial reviews seem to be heavily praising the GT500's handling/rakes. Motor Trend's review seems glowing.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I actually bet my friend dinner that the zl1 1le would be faster around a track, something tells me I'll be buying that dinner though. The gt500 should be faster...it has a brand new engine and new trans, and the zl1 1le has barely changed in the past 4 years except to get a (non DCT) 10 speed auto

Reactions: Rent Free

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The initial reviews seem to be heavily praising the GT500's handling/rakes. Motor Trend's review seems glowing.

Some reviews I've read seem to hint that the added weight over the nose because of the supercharger can DEFINITELY be felt...hence why I don't think it'll necessarily be able to beat the ZL1 1LE on a slow technical course, but the extra legs would definitely help in getting it passed the ZL1 1LE on a longer track. Obviously time will tell.

Also, do you think that the GT500 will beat the Ford GT around VIR? The Ford GT is "only" 2 seconds quicker than the ZL1 1LE (and was actually .5 sec quicker when the GT was on a hot track)

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Some reviews I've read seem to hint that the added weight over the nose because of the supercharger can DEFINITELY be felt...hence why I don't think it'll necessarily be able to beat the ZL1 1LE on a slow technical course, but the extra legs would definitely help in getting it passed the ZL1 1LE on a longer track. Obviously time will tell.

Also, do you think that the GT500 will beat the Ford GT around VIR? The Ford GT is "only" 2 seconds quicker than the ZL1 1LE (and was actually .5 sec quicker when the GT was on a hot track)

I think the GT500 will beat the ZL1 1LE and be very close to the Ford GT, which is probably why Ford is working on a quicker version of the GT.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I think the GT500 will beat the ZL1 1LE and be very close to the Ford GT, which is probably why Ford is working on a quicker version of the GT.

I mean, we'll have to see...I can't imagine them trying to shoehorn a V8 into it...so they'll be limited to whatever the V6 can make. The MKII that was released a few months back claims 700 HP, but honestly, that doesn't seem like it'll be a significant enough jump...maybe the GT500 mill will make it into the Ford GT...but to me, that would upset the balance of the car, which people seem to rave about already. Do they make the car worse to hit a HP number just so the car can be the "most powerful?"

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I mean, we'll have to see...I can't imagine them trying to shoehorn a V8 into it...so they'll be limited to whatever the V6 can make. The MKII that was released a few months back claims 700 HP, but honestly, that doesn't seem like it'll be a significant enough jump...maybe the GT500 mill will make it into the Ford GT...but to me, that would upset the balance of the car, which people seem to rave about already. Do they make the car worse to hit a HP number just so the car can be the "most powerful?"

The car really doesn't need a ton more power. Maybe they bump it up to 700hp and make some tweaks to aero, tires, brakes, etc.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The car really doesn't need a ton more power. Maybe they bump it up to 700hp and make some tweaks to aero, tires, brakes, etc.

I mean, from what I'm hearing, the improved version looks to be a street version of the MKII that just came out. There's also the possibility of boring and/or stroking the existing 3.5 which could add a bit of punch too, instead of trying to shove the V8 in there.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

I agree. One car might work better on one track verus another. I've given the SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE. They are impressive for sure. So if the GT500 pacing or bettering the ZL1 1LE is saying something. We will have to see.

The ZL1 had to deal with the added weight. So the GT500 can deal with it as well.

I think they have said the car would not fit the V8. If that is, in fact, correct, I don't see them making major changes to make it happen. Plus it goes against their weight and fueling strategy in races. The V8 doesn't make sense. I think the new one will have a bump in power and other changes, as Jason said. I am sure the GT will stay ahead of the GT500. And is a version 2 GT in the works? Could it fit the v8? Definitely exciting times for gearheads!

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I think they have said the car would not fit the V8. If that is, in fact, correct, I don't see them making major changes to make it happen. Plus it goes against their weight and fueling strategy in races. The V8 doesn't make sense. I think the new one will have a bump in power and other changes, as Jason said. I am sure the GT will stay ahead of the GT500. And is a version 2 GT in the works? Could it fit the v8? Definitely exciting times for gearheads!

They are done racing it, so they really can do whatever they want, and not have to worry about homologation

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
The best part of one of the articles for me: At some point, fawning over how quickly an automatic transmission shifts feels like bragging about how well your freezer maintains temperature.

But the reviews are a good sign that Ford didn't screw this one up like most of us thought they would.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info