2020 Ford GT500 Unveiled

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Dont be a tard. That has absolutely nothing to do with my personal opinion why like NA cars that run hard.

Hell I like 9 second NA Hondas.

Yet again it has absolutely nothing to do with this over weight abortion.

Honest question, with the addition of the blower and all the extra cooling to what amounts to a GT350, what did you expect? The GT350 isn't exactly a lightweight at 3750 pounds...adding ~450 pounds to that with everything they're doing isn't unreasonable...It's not like they can start doing all carbon fiber body panels and tons of aluminum because the car would be even less affordable.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
My neighbor buys vehicles often for daily use and his business; And most importantly, he has money. One of the Ford dealers he does business with contacted him to see if he was interested in buying their one allotment 2020 SGT500. Dealer mark up is $10k. He asked my opinion if I thought he could flip it? I said buy it to buy it and keep. It’s going to be like $95k OTD. Realistically he can make $5k-$10k, right? Is it worth it? I want him to buy cause then I get to drive but financially, would you guys buy and flip?

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
My neighbor buys vehicles often for daily use and his business; And most importantly, he has money. One of the Ford dealers he does business with contacted him to see if he was interested in buying their one allotment 2020 SGT500. Dealer mark up is $10k. He asked my opinion if I thought he could flip it? I said buy it to buy it and keep. It’s going to be like $95k OTD. Realistically he can make $5k-$10k, right? Is it worth it? I want him to buy cause then I get to drive but financially, would you guys buy and flip?

PM sent

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Honest question, with the addition of the blower and all the extra cooling to what amounts to a GT350, what did you expect? The GT350 isn't exactly a lightweight at 3750 pounds...adding ~450 pounds to that with everything they're doing isn't unreasonable...It's not like they can start doing all carbon fiber body panels and tons of aluminum because the car would be even less affordable.

I feel like this car is got to the point where its trying to be a jack of all trades and will wind up being great at nothing.

Example.

What was wrong with the GT350R brakes? Seriously do the GT500s need to be a freaking 16.5 inch rotor? Do they really need to be that big? Why didnt they go to ceramic. Or is this just purely a dick swinging ego exercise ohhhh but but butt they have the "YUUUUGEST" brakes on a mustang evar!

Example 2. I agree 100% with Alex in the video mentioning the DCT wont amount to dick for the Majority of the population buying the car. Same with the brake argument I just said above. Really what % of the buyers are going to Track the car? Sure its a badass feature Im not arguing that but I still feel like its also bloating the price of the vehicle. (maybe not I mean :dunno: well hell they kept the 2015 headlights for cost savings? :dunno: :roflpicard: )

I hope Im wrong and I still think this car is a hail marry combination of parts that got out of control got long over due! and is now over weight.

Nothing on this car other than the DCT is impressive. Even with thinking it prolly isnt worth it the DCT maybe this cars only saving grace.

A boosted gen3 A10 car that weights less cost less will beat the absolute dog shit out of the GT500 for what Id assume "most" people will want this car for.

Either

A. Drag car.
B. Big HP OMG latest and greatest street cruiser.

IMO this cars all over the place, its way over due, its bullshit they STILL havnt published any magazine reviews and metered testing.

According to earlier teaser window stickers the car was supposed to be 720HP and its been upped because of the ZR1 vette and Redeye. Sure not as much HP as a Redeye but maybe that DCT trans will be the equalizer :dunno:

Either way my point is again its long over due and its been a train wreck from a promotional stand point too.

People dont gotta argue with me here dont waste your time its merely an opinion here. Like it or not.

Better money spent is a boosted 2020 GT350. Itll share the 5.2 GT500 block longer bigger head studs and upgraded chain assembly on the front end.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

If he flipped it ASAP he could probably make 5-10k at most, but if he keeps it a year that money is gone. He'll lose his markup, plus some of the value of the vehicle itself.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
1. Some manufacturers are actually shying away from the carbon brakes because A. they are REALLY expensive and B. the steel brakes still work very well. Yeah the size is gigantic, but people buy cars based on numbers (hey it's got the biggest brakes1!1!!!!! HURPTY DERP)

2. R&D cost. Just like the Corvette going DCT only, if they only develop one transmission, it keeps the costs way down. The A10 has its power limits, I know people like to throw tons of power at them, but that doesn't make them reliable every day. Ford has to think about something that is not only going to be fast, but is actually going to be reliable. Maybe the DCT allows them a bit more reliability.

This car won't do everything great...it's never going to be as fast in a straight line as a Demon and is never going to lap a road course faster than a ZL1. But those two things are pretty unachievable given the competition. The Mustang, as late, HAS been the jack of all trades. The Hellcats spank them in a straight line and the Camaro spanks them around a road course. Why would the GT500 be any different? I expect it to be close-ish to the ZL1 performance, but the Alpha chassis in the Camaro just seems better overall than the S550. IMO, it'll run circles around Redeye's (hell maybe even in a straight line too).

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
If they don't put big enough brakes for the track, you guys would be bitching up a storm about the fact that it couldn't make 3 laps without overheating/glazing even though nobody on this forum will ever lap one on the track. And steel brakes are still the most cost effective method to stop something.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Do you mean ZR1? if this $80k+ mustang can't beat a 3 year old camaro that stickers at $60k, Ferd is in trouble.

No way in hell would it touch a Z06 or ZR1. I very much mean ZL1. And remember the ZL1 1LE is bonkers fast...It is in the top 15 fastest times at C&D's Lightning Lap and is only a second off the Corvette C7 Z06 in Nurburgring and Lightning lap time (8 seconds faster than the old C6 Z06 at Nurburgring)

The ZL1 1LE is up there with Porsche Turbo/GT3's etc.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
No way in hell would it touch a Z06 or ZR1. I very much mean ZL1. And remember the ZL1 1LE is bonkers fast...It is in the top 15 fastest times at C&D's Lightning Lap and is only a second off the Corvette C7 Z06 in Nurburgring and Lightning lap time (8 seconds faster than the old C6 Z06 at Nurburgring)

The ZL1 1LE is up there with Porsche Turbo/GT3's etc.

I'm honestly going to laugh my ass off if the gt500 can't beat the zl1, and i hear you, the 1le may give it a run for its money but I guess I'd expect more from Ferd given the price and the fact that the zl1 1le is old news. Ford has had 2 years to get a leg up on the competition. 760hp + DCT...the shelby should be the clear leader.

I'd buy a zl1 before a gt500 ALLLL day regardless of the gt500's performance, so it'll just be that much more comical to me if ford owners keep paying dealer markups on shelby cars that can't hang with their lower priced competition.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
1. Some manufacturers are actually shying away from the carbon brakes because A. they are REALLY expensive and B. the steel brakes still work very well. Yeah the size is gigantic, but people buy cars based on numbers (hey it's got the biggest brakes1!1!!!!! HURPTY DERP)

2. R&D cost. Just like the Corvette going DCT only, if they only develop one transmission, it keeps the costs way down. The A10 has its power limits, I know people like to throw tons of power at them, but that doesn't make them reliable every day. Ford has to think about something that is not only going to be fast, but is actually going to be reliable. Maybe the DCT allows them a bit more reliability.

This car won't do everything great...it's never going to be as fast in a straight line as a Demon and is never going to lap a road course faster than a ZL1. But those two things are pretty unachievable given the competition. The Mustang, as late, HAS been the jack of all trades. The Hellcats spank them in a straight line and the Camaro spanks them around a road course. Why would the GT500 be any different? I expect it to be close-ish to the ZL1 performance, but the Alpha chassis in the Camaro just seems better overall than the S550. IMO, it'll run circles around Redeye's (hell maybe even in a straight line too).

Comparing the current mustang offerings to the zl1 and redeye is like comparing apples to machine guns, 460hp vs on the low end the zl1 at what 660 or something like that, yeah it’s not going to be as fast, now you build one with good suspension and give it 700hp it very well should be a different story, I seriously doubt any zl1 is close to a redeye in the straight line, I’ve seen speed inc’s shop car run at the track a very respectable 9.9 with heads cam intake headers full bolt on’s, I’ve also seen the redeyes running mid 9’s with only a tune

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
1. Some manufacturers are actually shying away from the carbon brakes because A. they are REALLY expensive and B. the steel brakes still work very well. Yeah the size is gigantic, but people buy cars based on numbers (hey it's got the biggest brakes!

I know Porsche and others are working on ways to make steel rotors lighter, more durable, better with heat dissipation, all while offering more friction than normal steel rotor. So they have an option that isn't as costly as the carbon ceramic and has most of it's benifits. I think Porsche has one coming on a 2020 production car that uses a coating on the steel rotor.

I think carbon ceramics hurt used car values as no one wants to pay $6,000-$12,000 to replace pads and rotors. Not while paying a premium for the car at least. Unless we are talking hyer car money. In which it doesn't much matter as the owners don't even see that as expensive haha

Do you mean ZR1? if this $80k+ mustang can't beat a 3 year old camaro that stickers at $60k, Ferd is in trouble.

The Alpha has advantages and it is hard to overcome that. The SS & ZL1 (with or without the 1LE) are great cars. Great performance for the money. Yet the Mustang outsells them. So obviously performance per dollar isn't the only metric buyers use. The GT500 will sell well and will probably do everything well but not excel at anything. And buyers will still grin ear to ear when they drive the car.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I'm honestly going to laugh my ass off if the gt500 can't beat the zl1, and i hear you, the 1le may give it a run for its money but I guess I'd expect more from Ferd given the price and the fact that the zl1 1le is old news. Ford has had 2 years to get a leg up on the competition. 760hp + DCT...the shelby should be the clear leader.

I'd buy a zl1 before a gt500 ALLLL day regardless of the gt500's performance, so it'll just be that much more comical to me if ford owners keep paying dealer markups on shelby cars that can't hang with their lower priced competition.

I mean, the Mustang has never been able to beat an Alpha platformed Camaro in a "fair" comparison (SS vs GT)(GT350 vs SS 1LE) and I don't see it changing between the ZL1 and the GT500. Yeah Ford has had PLENTY of time, doesn't mean they cracked it. Also, the Mustang actually sells vs the Camaro. They never seem to have problems selling Mustangs, whereas, GM is putting money on the table to get people to come over from Mustangs and sell, because they're selling about 50% more Mustangs than GM is selling Camaros.

Comparing the current mustang offerings to the zl1 and redeye is like comparing apples to machine guns, 460hp vs on the low end the zl1 at what 660 or something like that, yeah it’s not going to be as fast, now you build one with good suspension and give it 700hp it very well should be a different story, I seriously doubt any zl1 is close to a redeye in the straight line, I’ve seen speed inc’s shop car run at the track a very respectable 9.9 with heads cam intake headers full bolt on’s, I’ve also seen the redeyes running mid 9’s with only a tune

I'm talking GT500 vs. Redeye/ZL1, not base Mustang

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
The GT500 will sell well and will probably do everything well but not excel at anything. And buyers will still grin ear to ear when they drive the car.

ding, ding, ding. That's really all that matters. There will ALWAYS be someone in something that is faster. Who gives a shit if the car puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. The person shelling out their hard earned cash will determine if the car is worth it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I feel like this car is got to the point where its trying to be a jack of all trades and will wind up being great at nothing.

What is wrong with a car that is good at everything but not the best at something? I would rather have a car that I can drag race, road race, cruise the twisty roads, and load the family into for Sunday fun day on the Hooters car show circuit.

VS

A car that might be great at one thing and horrible at other things. And no matter how good this car is at one thing, I can guarantee you that there are other cars out there that can still do that one thing better. If not today, one day soon.

What was wrong with the GT350R brakes? Seriously do the GT500s need to be a freaking 16.5 inch rotor? Do they really need to be that big?

In simplest terms...yes. They need to be that big. It comes down to weight, velocity, energy, heat and so on. You need the brakes to stop a car that can do what these new cars are capable of doing. Over and over again without fail. Do you want a rocketship? Fine, but the manufacturer has a responsibility to make sure the car can brake just as well. Otherwise, they are just negligent.

And many other cars have bigger brakes than this. It's just new to the Mustang. Relax. haha

Better money spent is a boosted 2020 GT350. Itll share the 5.2 GT500 block longer bigger head studs and upgraded chain assembly on the front end.

It isn't the same and it won't carry a warranty. It just depends on what you want out of your car and what you are willing to use your money on.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go

Example.

What was wrong with the GT350R brakes? Seriously do the GT500s need to be a freaking 16.5 inch rotor? Do they really need to be that big? Why didnt they go to ceramic. Or is this just purely a dick swinging ego exercise ohhhh but but butt they have the "YUUUUGEST" brakes on a mustang evar!

Example 2. I agree 100% with Alex in the video mentioning the DCT wont amount to dick for the Majority of the population buying the car. Same with the brake argument I just said above. Really what % of the buyers are going to Track the car? Sure its a badass feature Im not arguing that but I still feel like its also bloating the price of the vehicle. (maybe not I mean :dunno: well hell they kept the 2015 headlights for cost savings? :dunno: :roflpicard: )

I hope Im wrong and I still think this car is a hail marry combination of parts that got out of control got long over due! and is now over weight.

Nothing on this car other than the DCT is impressive. Even with thinking it prolly isnt worth it the DCT maybe this cars only saving grace.

A boosted gen3 A10 car that weights less cost less will beat the absolute dog shit out of the GT500 for what Id assume "most" people will want this car for.

Either

A. Drag car.
B. Big HP OMG latest and greatest street cruiser.

IMO this cars all over the place, its way over due, its bullshit they STILL havnt published any magazine reviews and metered testing.

According to earlier teaser window stickers the car was supposed to be 720HP and its been upped because of the ZR1 vette and Redeye. Sure not as much HP as a Redeye but maybe that DCT trans will be the equalizer :dunno:

Either way my point is again its long over due and its been a train wreck from a promotional stand point too.

People dont gotta argue with me here dont waste your time its merely an opinion here. Like it or not.

Should I place your order today ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info