2020-2021 school year?!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Im on the fence. Schools for sure need to be reopened, but I doubt they will run max capacity. I think one option I heard was kinda what we are doing at work. Multiple groups with only specific ones allowed at certain times/days and the rest of it is elearning. However, the teachers have had months to prep. I know I would have at least started some sort of organized online class to distribute for when kids are at home and then turn the assignment in when you arrive in class.

I also have no problem building a badass setup for my daughter in order to keep her engaged with elearning. A new toy that can double as her school setup. Should help with focusing as well.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The social aspects of school are very important for a lot of kids. There's also the teachers' ability to watch for abuse. The abuse may be exacerbated by the kids being in the homes all day and night. Child/teen suicide is up which is being attributed to the lack of social interaction. At risk kids are more likely to suffer from home learning. Their parents may not have the money for any kind of setup like Fish mentions. Their parents also have a harder time economically with baby sitting them if they're home all day. Plus, many of the kids' educations will suffer which could effect them throughout their lives. There are a lot of bad effects if kids are kept out of school.

LomileWE-2

Regular
Apr 1, 2020
60477 Cook
Real Name
Chuckles
I hear what everyone is saying in this thread.
My stepson is enrolled in an IEP due to his hearing impairment. Hasn't turned a wheel since mid March. I see it as a 5 month summer vacation fuckoff time with no structured learning. He needs his behind in a classroom setting 5x weekly or I fear he will not move forward.

Reactions: Rent Free

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Kids get sick all the fucking time....now all of a sudden we are worried about them going back to school when the flu hits them harder then COVID?

With teachers who are in the age range where the flu hits them harder then COVID?

Yet we don't close for the flu every season...

MAKES SENSE.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The social aspects of school are very important for a lot of kids. There's also the teachers' ability to watch for abuse. The abuse may be exacerbated by the kids being in the homes all day and night. Child/teen suicide is up which is being attributed to the lack of social interaction. At risk kids are more likely to suffer from home learning. Their parents may not have the money for any kind of setup like Fish mentions. Their parents also have a harder time economically with baby sitting them if they're home all day. Plus, many of the kids' educations will suffer which could effect them throughout their lives. There are a lot of bad effects if kids are kept out of school.

You would be suprised how much you would "need" to build a good setup. Right now the only thing that might be a problem is the camera and microphone. LOL.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Kids get sick all the fucking time....now all of a sudden we are worried about them going back to school when the flu hits them harder then COVID?

With teachers who are in the age range where the flu hits them harder then COVID?

Yet we don't close for the flu every season...

MAKES SENSE.
This is not the flu. My brother in law has permanent lung damage from it.

in MO a summer camp got 60 something people sick, school would be worse

Reactions: Maro

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
This is not the flu. My brother in law has permanent lung damage from it.

in MO a summer camp got 60 something people sick, school would be worse
And some people die from the flu. Sickness effects everyone differently. We can't run things based on worse case scenario.

Reactions: Rent Free

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
A copy/paste:
So if you didn’t catch this mornings shitshow, it went basically like this:

The CDC put out its official recommendations and requirements states should meet before reopening schools.

Trump went to twitter, shitted on the CDC recommendations, demanding that k-12 schools fully open up in the fall. He threatened to cut federal funding if they do not.

Then the coronavirus task force held a press conference, minus Fauci, because he’s on the President’s shit list.

Betsy Devos said she really really really wants kids back in school. She does not know how to do this, offered no suggestions. Just that they need to open, and leaves it up to local officials to figure it out.

Vice President Pence said children are resilient. Basically made out of cartilage with healthy lungs. They probably won’t get sick, so we shouldn’t worry about them. There is also no disagreement between the CDC and Trump. Trump wants schools to open, and just doesn’t want the CDC’s guidelines to be the reason for schools not opening?

Yes, he actually said he doesn’t want states to keep their schools closed just because their own CDC says it is not safe to open.

So the VP says, don’t worry, let’s bring up the Director of the CDC to clarify. -And I could‘ve sworn I heard this guy gulp off camera.

But the director of the CDC comes up and says he also wants schools to open safely. He said he likes his job and wants to keep it, therefore, he is also in full agreement with Trump, despite the guidelines they released hours before.

So then Dr. Birx comes on and says half the country has seen a surge of new cases. The country is worse off than it was back at the start of all this. She said they should return to phase 1 and start all over.

Now, an astute reader may wonder how do half the states return to phase 1, and still expect to open by fall? Good question. ..... And while you were thinking about it, Birx tries to leave the podium.

But before she gets away, Pence stops her, suggests she ‘talk about that other thing about the children’. She hesitates, then agrees.

She comes back up to the mic, says most children probably won’t die. Maybe 0.02%. And usually the ones who die were already sick, so you parents at home may want to keep an eye on them. Oh- and we have virtually no data on how transmissible the virus is in children because we’ve barely tested any of them, but let me get out of your hair.

Pence comes back and says, see, we’re good here.

————————-

So while all that is going Cuomo is holding his own press conference.

He says I don’t even give a shit what Trump is saying. It’s not worth responding to the clown. States control school openings, and we will do it as safely as possible, end of discussion.

Other states blew off our warnings, and now they are paying the price. You want to fix your states? Pull your heads out of your asses and follow our example.

—————————

And Fauci has gone total rogue. He has been giving interviews across the media spectrum, politely telling anyone who will listen that following trump’s orders regarding the Coronavirus will lead to certain doom. Death and economic disaster on a scale never seen before. Please turn back while you still can.

And now you are filled in.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Well, you can but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

Un5F2vt.gif

I'm still hoping most of this shit dies down after the elections. But it seems like such a long way off.
In any case, kids need to go back to school and have human interaction. They are going to grow up screwed up otherwise (but maybe that's the plan).

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Holy cow!! Small victory for humanity today!

Sounds like schools where I live in Prince William County VA will reopen.

School is also looking for new teachers. Apparently some that didnt want to return to the classroom are being letgo or replaced.

I’m right next to you and Fairfax County, VA schools are sticking with their terrible plan of giving the options of either 4 days a week remote, or 2 days in school. And even if they are “in school”, they’ll be stuck in only the classrooms at all times... Also Fairfax County School District, one of the largest and well funded public school districts in the nation, absolutely bombed at remote learning this past spring.

We move out here from the northwest Arkansas area in April and didn’t even go through the work of enrolling our kindergartener for the remainder of the year in that train wreck... Our previous Arkansas school district’s remote learning was going well so we kept doing that, even though we had moved across the country...

But for this upcoming school year, we’ve decided to homeschool my daughter who will be in first grade. We’re lucky as my wife stays at home with our 3 kids already, and her degree was in Elementary Ed, and was a teacher before we had kids. So we have confidence it’ll definitely be better for our family than the options provided by Fairfax County. I do know we are fortunate to have this option as many families do not...

We also just purchased an RV and I’m working fully remote, so we’re just going to go travel around a lot, whenever we want now too!

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Angus Angus sorry didnt wanna quote the above.

In an excellent turn of events my wife just today got offered a work from home job with John Hopkins!

IF schooling here in Manassas turns into a mess ill yank my kids out too. My wife will have to go through a few weeks of orentation but she knows their "EPIC" computer system the hospital back in ND used where she was before we moved.

Who are you planning on getting curriculum or lessons from?

I need to start digging up that kind of information for a plan B option.

Ive got 2 boys 8 and 10 year olds.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
A copy/paste:
So if you didn’t catch this mornings shitshow, it went basically like this:

The CDC put out its official recommendations and requirements states should meet before reopening schools.

Trump went to twitter, shitted on the CDC recommendations, demanding that k-12 schools fully open up in the fall. He threatened to cut federal funding if they do not.

Then the coronavirus task force held a press conference, minus Fauci, because he’s on the President’s shit list.

Betsy Devos said she really really really wants kids back in school. She does not know how to do this, offered no suggestions. Just that they need to open, and leaves it up to local officials to figure it out.

Vice President Pence said children are resilient. Basically made out of cartilage with healthy lungs. They probably won’t get sick, so we shouldn’t worry about them. There is also no disagreement between the CDC and Trump. Trump wants schools to open, and just doesn’t want the CDC’s guidelines to be the reason for schools not opening?

Yes, he actually said he doesn’t want states to keep their schools closed just because their own CDC says it is not safe to open.

So the VP says, don’t worry, let’s bring up the Director of the CDC to clarify. -And I could‘ve sworn I heard this guy gulp off camera.

But the director of the CDC comes up and says he also wants schools to open safely. He said he likes his job and wants to keep it, therefore, he is also in full agreement with Trump, despite the guidelines they released hours before.

So then Dr. Birx comes on and says half the country has seen a surge of new cases. The country is worse off than it was back at the start of all this. She said they should return to phase 1 and start all over.

Now, an astute reader may wonder how do half the states return to phase 1, and still expect to open by fall? Good question. ..... And while you were thinking about it, Birx tries to leave the podium.

But before she gets away, Pence stops her, suggests she ‘talk about that other thing about the children’. She hesitates, then agrees.

She comes back up to the mic, says most children probably won’t die. Maybe 0.02%. And usually the ones who die were already sick, so you parents at home may want to keep an eye on them. Oh- and we have virtually no data on how transmissible the virus is in children because we’ve barely tested any of them, but let me get out of your hair.

Pence comes back and says, see, we’re good here.

————————-

So while all that is going Cuomo is holding his own press conference.

He says I don’t even give a shit what Trump is saying. It’s not worth responding to the clown. States control school openings, and we will do it as safely as possible, end of discussion.

Other states blew off our warnings, and now they are paying the price. You want to fix your states? Pull your heads out of your asses and follow our example.

—————————

And Fauci has gone total rogue. He has been giving interviews across the media spectrum, politely telling anyone who will listen that following trump’s orders regarding the Coronavirus will lead to certain doom. Death and economic disaster on a scale never seen before. Please turn back while you still can.

And now you are filled in.

The problem with this entire thing is every dickhead "expert" has that "expert" opinion like Cumo and Trump and everyone else in the middle with very little to back it up.

The well gee we dont know what will happen to children because weve tested basically NONE is really hitting the nail on the head.

At the end of the day my guess and opinion is just as good as any other "expert"

So with that OPEN ALL THE SCHOOLS NLT SEPT

Disagree then fine get kicked in the wallet and say good bye to funding. People tend to change their opinions real quick when their wallet comes into play.

Something something failing to plan is planning to fail.

Give me 1 good reason anyone to not have a realistic reopening plan. A competent plan can be pushed back and its far better than people having a toddler temper tantrum NOPE I DONT WANNA GO BACK TO SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
The problem with this entire thing is every dickhead "expert" has that "expert" opinion like Cumo and Trump and everyone else in the middle with very little to back it up.

The well gee we dont know what will happen to children because weve tested basically NONE is really hitting the nail on the head.

At the end of the day my guess and opinion is just as good as any other "expert"

So with that OPEN ALL THE SCHOOLS NLT SEPT

Disagree then fine get kicked in the wallet and say good bye to funding. People tend to change their opinions real quick when their wallet comes into play.

Something something failing to plan is planning to fail.

Give me 1 good reason anyone to not have a realistic reopening plan. A competent plan can be pushed back and its far better than people having a toddler temper tantrum NOPE I DONT WANNA GO BACK TO SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!
So because there is no data we should experiment with our kids? I mean if we test for how kids transmit the disease we might just find more cases which will make our Covid numbers even worse. /sarcasm

Also Trump can't withhold school funding, he was just shooting from the hip without the facts of what he could or couldn't do. These are local and state issues.

The issue is our country as adults already can't figure out how to socially distance and keep things from spreading. And yet we expect that from our kids? This wouldn't be as large of an issue if our numbers weren't trending upwards by such a large margin in like 90 percent of the states.

What is going to happen when you add kids going to the petry dish that is school and then bringing back to all of their houses?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
So because there is no data we should experiment with our kids? I mean if we test for how kids transmit the disease we might just find more cases which will make our Covid numbers even worse. /sarcasm

Also Trump can't withhold school funding, he was just shooting from the hip without the facts of what he could or couldn't do. These are local and state issues.

The issue is our country as adults already can't figure out how to socially distance and keep things from spreading. And yet we expect that from our kids? This wouldn't be as large of an issue if our numbers weren't trending upwards by such a large margin in like 90 percent of the states.

What is going to happen when you add kids going to the petry dish that is school and then bringing back to all of their houses?

Socially distancing is bullshit just as much as the masks. How much social distancing is going on in Walmart? How about Target? Grocery stores?

But schools are going to be a problem? Cmon. The numbers are inflated and inaccruate at best because of the 4th.

Going back to school and having a plan is 100% the right thing to do. If people have the means to home schook their kids by all means go ahead. Many do not. Further more most if not all kids and families will benefit from having some structure and schedule back in place.

Then there is part of me that think some kids would be far better off in the hands of teachers in school than their own parents who wont give the child the time and effort towards schooling they deserve.

Whats absolutely sickening is excuse after excuse from everyone. If people put half as much effort into solutions as they do coming up with every excuse imagineable this wouldnt seem like such an impossible task.

Its pretty simple. Keep kids home if your not ready or willing to send them back to the classroom.

I for one believe its is 100% a necessary step to get back to normal!

The working class cannot afford nor have the capacity to stay home and homeschool their kids period.

None if this means I dont believe Covid is real it does however mean I dont believe any of the lies and narrative we are being told.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Socially distancing is bullshit just as much as the masks. How much social distancing is going on in Walmart? How about Target? Grocery stores?

None if this means I dont believe Covid is real it does however mean I dont believe any of the lies and narrative we are being told.

giphy.gif

You don't even have to go into the stores.. they deliver the damn stuff to your car ;) Seems pretty distant to me.

Japan never even really shut down and they wear masks and seem to be doing ok with less cases/deaths (22,000 cases 950 deaths). Those numbers are almost the same as just one county in Florida.

Where is the Narrative ;) If you don't believe in Doctors and Science then what will you believe in?

I guess Illinois and New York just got lucky then? Arizona, Florida, Texas hospitals are full, they are running out of ICU beds. Maybe now isn't the best time for kids in those states to be going to school and creating even more pressure on those systems. This is why it is a local decision and not a federal one.

Sports teams can't even do this correctly with their huge budgets and personal test facilities and you think we can do this with our education system?
1594831871750.png

1594832428485.png

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The ICU beds being "full" is kind of misrepresented data. ICUs are usually ran at near full capacity on the normal.

Covid still is only taking up 10-20% of ICU usage and nobody has hit emergency surge yet. A majority of ICU beds are for regular emergencies.

But it isn't going in the right direction that's for sure in regards to slowing the impact on healthcare facilities.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info