Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/c...ts-optional-turbocharged-four-cylinder-engine

Displacing 2.7 liters, the long-stroke forced-induction inline-four is an all-new unit that General Motors said was designed specifically for truck applications. It packs a solid punch with 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque—just 35 lb-ft shy of the optional 5.3-liter V-8—that is available from as low as 1500 rpm and continues to 4000 revs. The engine is paired exclusively with an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
And the article also says “The automatic transmission does the four-cylinder no favors, however, as it’s eager to reach its tallest ratio and apathetic to downshift when the accelerator pedal is floored.” Sounds Just like the 8 speed in my Colorado until I had it tuned.

Not sure how I feel about this. The combo of Low revving, quick spoiling turbo, all low end power might be decent in a truck.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
People are going to love it when fuel prices go up. I agree, people always want the biggest engine just because it's cool (totally guilty here), but when gas hits $4/gallon both manufacturers and consumers are going to be happy to be selling/buying pickups without breaking the bank on gas

2.7 is a big 4cyl, i'm sure it's more than capable, as long as it's not plagued with issues I bet it'll sell well once people get comfortable with it

Everyone seems to forget that as the economy picks up, gas prices go with it due to increased consumption. GDP growth is increasing and fuel prices will follow suit, likely in the very near future

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
People are going to love it when fuel prices go up. I agree, people always want the biggest engine just because it's cool (totally guilty here), but when gas hits $4/gallon both manufacturers and consumers are going to be happy to be selling/buying pickups without breaking the bank on gas

2.7 is a big 4cyl, i'm sure it's more than capable, as long as it's not plagued with issues I bet it'll sell well once people get comfortable with it

Everyone seems to forget that as the economy picks up, gas prices go with it due to increased consumption. GDP growth is increasing and fuel prices will follow suit, likely in the very near future

Good thing Ford is ditching their economy cars :ford: :ugh:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

I never squawked when gas prices were $4/gallon filling up a V8 SUV with a 42 gallon tank. I just accepted it as part of the deal of what I want the vehicle for.

But back on point, yea, no!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I never squawked when gas prices were $4/gallon filling up a V8 SUV with a 42 gallon tank. I just accepted it as part of the deal of what I want the vehicle for.

But back on point, yea, no!

And do you think all ~2.6 million people that bought pickups last year all think the same way? When gas goes up, truck sales go down

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
No, because most won't be in the market for a new pickup at that exact time prices go up and most understand that they're buying a truck and that fuel economy, while a factor when looking at their truck choices playing a role in purchase decision, kinda accept the fact that you're not going to get Prius like fuel economy with one regardless.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Honestly for me I would but it under the assumptions that...

2 years into the life cycle the engine provides reliable under mods...and that there is a tune out there that can bump the HP/TQ up atleast 10-15%.This would be great for me as I tow nothing other than HD runs lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info