2019 Silverado is getting a turbo 4

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

There was a time, probably 5, maybe 10 years ago, GM was working on (and maybe they still are and just haven't perfected it yet), electric solenoid actuated valves. Meaning zero camshafts whatsoever. Just a bunch of electric solenoids opening and closing valves. What this meant was exactly what they're trying to accomplish here... In an eco mode, virtually no opening (or none if the cylinder(s) are shut off), but then in power enrichment mode (WOT), they'd open as much as the motor could allowing for big power gains.

I wonder whatever happened to this? My armchair engineering says the hold up/hurdle it comes down to, is timing synchronization, but...

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Koenigsegg has a cam-less prototype running around. In a Saab last I read. That was a while ago though.

Yeah, I've been trying to keep my eyes open for updates, but haven't heard about anything...they were running electronically controlled pneumatic actuators, not electric actuators from what I remember.

EDIT:

Apparently electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic actuators :rofl:

Freevalve seems to be taking an all-of-the-above approach with its so-called pneumatic-hydraulic-electronic actuators. But air does the work. The team first employed this solution on the Scuderi Split-Cycle air-hybrid engine I first covered in June 2006. That design demanded valves that opened far more quickly than a traditional cam-driven design could manage. Because the engine recovered braking energy as compressed air, that energy source was abundantly available. So compressed air opens the valve almost instantly, electronically controlled hydraulic pressure holds it open, a coil spring closes it, and passive hydraulic pressure cushions its "landing." An electric coil provides highly precise sensing of each valve's position.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Why u won't buy one.

yeah so you

Yeah, I've been trying to keep my eyes open for updates, but haven't heard about anything...they were running electronically controlled pneumatic actuators, not electric actuators from what I remember.

EDIT:

Apparently electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic actuators :rofl:

i think there's a thread on here for this

Didn't see it posted but the Turbo 4 got EPA numbers of 20/23 & only on the 2wd version so expect 4WD to be lower naturally.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/c...ts-optional-turbocharged-four-cylinder-engine

that's disappointing, right?
i mean, isn't that just about what a 5.3 gets?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Yeah, more than a bit curious what the point of the turbo 4 is with those MPG numbers...it seems like it's no more economical than the V6, it'll likely be at a price premium over a V6, but will it have the same power stock v stock over the V6? Maybe when more specs come out, it'll make more sense, but it just doesn't right now...

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Yeah, turbo vehicles always going to be more tuneable...but I don't think that was really a big consideration by GM when they were developing it. If it's a direct competitor to an NA V6, it would probably be a volume seller. But why make your volume seller more complicated, more expensive, and no more efficient?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah, turbo vehicles always going to be more tuneable...but I don't think that was really a big consideration by GM when they were developing it. If it's a direct competitor to an NA V6, it would probably be a volume seller. But why make your volume seller more complicated, more expensive, and no more efficient?

it says it's an entry level engine on some trim options.

maybe itll tow like a champ

or better yet, i mean, they keep hyping that 0-60 will be under 7 seconds, which the 4.3 6 trucks 100% aren't doing.

so maybe that's it... some performance, but v6 fuel economy?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info