2019 GMC SIERRA Thread

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
friction forces aside, from heat build up, yes, it would be okay.

Okay then, please tell the guys that replace a tiny 6" wide $2500 wheel due to stress cracks that they need to have more faith in the material. While the wheels might not be the same quality of carbon fiber used on a $2 million boat, i'm sure it's not garbage, and is probably very comparable to the CF used in the bed of a truck (if not better)

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Okay then, please tell the guys that replace a tiny 6" wide $2500 wheel due to stress cracks that they need to have more faith in the material. While the wheels might not be the same quality of carbon fiber used on a $2 million boat, i'm sure it's not garbage, and is probably very comparable to the CF used in the bed of a truck (if not better)

as i said before, sounds like shit carbon fiber.

you know there are carbon fiber mountain bikes too right? those seem to hold up.

how many gt350 carbon fiber wheel issues did you hear of?

When someone drops something in the bed of their sierra too hard and screws up the carbon fiber...make sure to tell them that the $4000 repair bill is justified because CF works perfectly for a $500k car or $2 mil boat

you sound like one of the aluminum bed doubters right now you realize that right :rofl:

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, carbon has great tensile strength (as evidence in the Hammond video), and it's why it's used in monocoque chassis in race cars and hyper/super cars. It resists fractures from stress very well, and I believe they have started using it on airplanes now too.

Carbon fiber is inherently brittle, just by the mere makeup of the material (resin and fiber sheets). Obviously it depends on impact and how thick the carbon fiber is. In a bike, where they are measuring parts in grams and trying to save a few here and there, it doesn't surprise me that they are trying to push the boundaries of weight by thinning out the carbon fiber parts, making them weaker. Whereas the boat, I'd imagine it has a ridiculously thick hull, that is designed to withstand impacts. But go beyond it's design limitations, and it can still crack and break.

My worry with a carbon fiber bed is people are dumb. Obviously marketing people stir up controversy like the aluminum bed thing, but I think same situation with a sharp rock or corner of a tool box "thrown" into a bed, is going to cause cracks. I'd have to assume GM has thought this through, and created a more forgiving resin, but who knows, this is uncharted territory in a truck.

Only time will tell.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
as i said before, sounds like shit carbon fiber.

you know there are carbon fiber mountain bikes too right? those seem to hold up.

how many gt350 carbon fiber wheel issues did you hear of?

you sound like one of the aluminum bed doubters right now you realize that right :rofl:

The definitely exist, even though there are very few gt350 R's out there, and those are the ones with CF wheels. Add in the fact that they're probably mostly garage queens, and i wouldn't expect a high failure rate. The cost to replace these is $4k+ a piece...did ford use shit carbon fiber?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-r-carbon-fiber-wheel-failure.104830/

And I agree that an aluminum bed isn't worth the cost considering the minimal fuel savings. I believe that even moreso with a CF bed. I bought mine despite the aluminum bed

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
And I agree that an aluminum bed isn't worth the cost considering the minimal fuel savings. I believe that even moreso with a CF bed. I bought mine despite the aluminum bed

agree with what?

aluminum bed makes plenty of sense.

of course you bought yours despite the aluminum bed, pampers and a stroller aren't going to damage your bed even if it was lined in leather.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info