2019 Genesis G70

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
So I finally got around to test driving one of these and am in negotiations on a G70 3.3T Sport edition. I can agree with pretty much everything [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] said about this car. It's fantastic. I can see why motortrend gave it car of the year. I used to own a E90 335i and Genesis has nailed the driving feel to be very similar. Except in this car the interior blows the BMW out out of the water (not compared to say the newer 5 series, but definitely against the 3 series).

Loved the full color HUD, has so much information and you can even change the color which is cool. Seats are quilted napa leather, side bolsters and leg extension. Was pretty easy to get a good seating position. Power is immediate and pulls strong to redline. I understand there's a JB4 tune for this engine already and mid 12's with just a tune are pretty common. Lexicon sound system was fantastic, subs are under the seats and do a pretty good job. I'm sure it would be even better once broken in a little. Materials are pretty top notch except for a couple of switches in certain places that reminded me a little of the Hyundai parent company. But in all you get a ton for your money. Sticker on the car I tested was fully loaded, every possible option (including things like 360 cameras, suede headliner, active cruise etc..) for 52K. Right now I have them at 47K but still working. It's a ton of car for the money, considering a fully loaded 340ix or Audi S4 is right around 65K or so. I could be wrong.

Downsides so far, trunk is tiny so hauling anything is out of the question. Seats at least fold down, but it's a pretty tight squeeze. It seems to be a smaller car than a 3-series interior wise, because the back seats are pretty tight too. Anyone over 5'8 is going to want more room. Wireless charging is nice on the car, but Genesis didn't implement wireless carplay which is kind of a downer. So you still have to USB to implement carplay and defeats the purpose of the wireless charger.

I'm going between this and picking up a Q50 Red Sport off swapalease that's quite a bit less. I don't really care for the Infiniti drive by wire system, it has almost no feedback, but then again for the price that's a hard car to beat too.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Try out the G80 if you want more room.

I have been pushing the Genesis cars since they came out. Forget about the "Hyundai" origins and the car is, like you say, a lot of car for the money.

Even better, you will be able to get a 2-3 year old one, adult driven, with low miles for a LOT less. 2016 Genesis with a 420 hp v8 is around $25K now if you shop around. Easily found under $30K.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
So I finally got around to test driving one of these and am in negotiations on a G70 3.3T Sport edition. I can agree with pretty much everything [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION] said about this car. It's fantastic. I can see why motortrend gave it car of the year. I used to own a E90 335i and Genesis has nailed the driving feel to be very similar. Except in this car the interior blows the BMW out out of the water (not compared to say the newer 5 series, but definitely against the 3 series).

Loved the full color HUD, has so much information and you can even change the color which is cool. Seats are quilted napa leather, side bolsters and leg extension. Was pretty easy to get a good seating position. Power is immediate and pulls strong to redline. I understand there's a JB4 tune for this engine already and mid 12's with just a tune are pretty common. Lexicon sound system was fantastic, subs are under the seats and do a pretty good job. I'm sure it would be even better once broken in a little. Materials are pretty top notch except for a couple of switches in certain places that reminded me a little of the Hyundai parent company. But in all you get a ton for your money. Sticker on the car I tested was fully loaded, every possible option (including things like 360 cameras, suede headliner, active cruise etc..) for 52K. Right now I have them at 47K but still working. It's a ton of car for the money, considering a fully loaded 340ix or Audi S4 is right around 65K or so. I could be wrong.

Downsides so far, trunk is tiny so hauling anything is out of the question. Seats at least fold down, but it's a pretty tight squeeze. It seems to be a smaller car than a 3-series interior wise, because the back seats are pretty tight too. Anyone over 5'8 is going to want more room. Wireless charging is nice on the car, but Genesis didn't implement wireless carplay which is kind of a downer. So you still have to USB to implement carplay and defeats the purpose of the wireless charger.

I'm going between this and picking up a Q50 Red Sport off swapalease that's quite a bit less. I don't really care for the Infiniti drive by wire system, it has almost no feedback, but then again for the price that's a hard car to beat too.

:bigthumb:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...genesis-g70-heres-what-we-paid-1420757273694/

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Try out the G80 if you want more room.

I have been pushing the Genesis cars since they came out. Forget about the "Hyundai" origins and the car is, like you say, a lot of car for the money.

Even better, you will be able to get a 2-3 year old one, adult driven, with low miles for a LOT less. 2016 Genesis with a 420 hp v8 is around $25K now if you shop around. Easily found under $30K.

I’ve test driven a G80 Sport with the 3.3T engine as well, but the size makes it handle like a boat. Not really looking to buy used, more on the lease hunt. G80s are another 8 grand unfortunately. I like it, but more in like 5-6 years type of time when I have a bigger family.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
The G70 is reported by Bru and others as being a good car so, buy new if you like. You may want to be prepared for the depreciation. I have no idea if that is continuing or slowing down because of the new "Genesis" branding.

I may haven’t been clear that I’m only leasing. I’ve been leasing cars now for about 5 years, wouldn’t ever purchase new. Depreciation doesn’t matter as the dealership eats it. It’s all about the negotiating up front to ensure you don’t overpay on the lease from what the car is actually worth. If you do your homework and a good job the car will be worth more than your buyout at the end and you have positive equity in your next negotiation. If the car is worth even less than they thought, sucks for them and you just turn it back in lol.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
I may haven’t been clear that I’m only leasing. I’ve been leasing cars now for about 5 years, wouldn’t ever purchase new. Depreciation doesn’t matter as the dealership eats it. It’s all about the negotiating up front to ensure you don’t overpay on the lease from what the car is actually worth. If you do your homework and a good job the car will be worth more than your buyout at the end and you have positive equity in your next negotiation. If the car is worth even less than they thought, sucks for them and you just turn it back in lol.

I haven't leased in a while. Used to grab a zero or $1000 or less down $199/mo deal every 3 years on a base Camry, Impreza, and Accord back in the day. Did that for almost a decade.

So you negotiate a purchase price first, then pop that you plan to lease and have the dealer plug that new number in to figure lease terms?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I’m usually up front telling them I plan to lease. You still negotiate the price of the car just like you’re buying it as it’s the basis for the lease. What you can’t control is the residual value that the manufacturer sets, or the money factor (essentially the finance rate). Lately leases have been higher since the fed has hiked rates, it’s trickling to lease and loan rates.

Rebates are usually a little different as they have different incentives to lease vs buy.

The 199 deals that you’re referring to, many manufacturers still have (although it’s like 299 now haha), but those deals are almost always on the lowest trim level without options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info