🔧 BUILD 2018 Colorado ZR2

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I flew out and bought a used 2018 Colorado ZR2 today. I had test driven one locally and liked it a lot but the price was pretty insane. I found this one in Michigan and as luck would have it I have a friend who lives a mile from the dealership. So he went and checked it out for me and Dan00Hawk Dan00Hawk checked the Carfax, thank you Dan!!! It is a 3.6 V6 gasser with the 8 speed automatic transmission and factory 3.42 gears out back.

Driving 320 miles today was a great way for us to get acquainted.

I bought it to serve a few purposes, a second vehicle for us to drive around town, it will tow my Camaros once in a while, and I think I'll try the Silver Lake Dunes in August when we are out there for a week.

Planned mods:
-Tint front windows
-Shin damaging around-town hitch to keep folks from scratching the rear bumper. Probably do a shackle one.

Truck is very peppy stock. I'm tempted to run it at GLD once lol.

zr2.jpg

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
IceCreamAssassin IceCreamAssassin , I checked with a bunch of ZR2 guys towing, just a little bit of squat. Most of them were diesels. But I also checked with some other Colorado guys who tow and they all said the same thing, get the tonge weight right and many of them suggest a weight distribution hitch.

I'll say this 3.6 with the 8 speed auto is peppy, I don't see why folks complain about these trucks

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

taws697

Addict
TCG Premium
Sep 11, 2015
West Chicago, IL
Real Name
Wes
Reactions: Pro Stock John

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
IceCreamAssassin IceCreamAssassin , I checked with a bunch of ZR2 guys towing, just a little bit of squat. Most of them were diesels. But I also checked with some other Colorado guys who tow and they all said the same thing, get the tonge weight right and many of them suggest a weight distribution hitch.

I'll say this 3.6 with the 8 speed auto is peppy,
I always felt that airbags were a good solution for the occasional heavy load or heavy trailer. Air them up or down as needed. Looks like that's an option for the Zr2 also.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah I'm researching hitches, been frequently urged to get a wd one. I'm researching. I don't own a trailer yet.

Did my first mod, tinted the front windows with Manny @ Midwest Tint & Vinyl in St. Charles, good dude.

Ordered a shackle recovery hitch should be here pretty soon. Might help protect my rear bumper a little from city people.

I need to get some floor liners.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I really like driving this thing, it's a truck that handles like a car.

Mods so far:
  • Tinted front windows used Manny Mascorro, $110
  • Console tray, $16
  • Rear shackle hitch to hopefully minimize parking damage from others
  • GM floor liners
  • Alread had soft tonneau cover
Upcoming plans:
  • Flush the trans buddy at dealer in Grayslake quoted me $249
  • Thinking to change diff fluids too
  • Thinking about doing a level at some point
  • I need to get an adjustable trailer hitch by end of April
  • I have a solution I'm brewing up for the front plate, the bracket just came in. I just can't bring myself to drill the front bumper

Thread Info