2017 6.4 HEMI RAM onto it's 3rd transmission, before it hits 67,000 miles.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
1611673115328.png

You're probably wondering, what, how'd we get here? 3 transmissions, that's CRAZY!!!!1!!!

well here's how.

2017 6.4 ram, bought new end of 2016. rarely if ever tows, and if it does, it's less than 5,000lbs. not a lot of weight in the truck, we aren't concrete guys... air filters are lightweight.

40ish thousand miles, trans starts acting up, goes in for a "Computer update".

4k miles later. october 2019. trans grenades. truck gets towed in, local dealer has it 4-5 weeks or so? while trans is getting rebuilt (under warranty) im very cautious to ask- hey, this rebuilt trans, will be under warranty, right? YEP YEP YEP YEP

giphy.gif

SWEET sounds good. fast forward to last week. tech who drives it calls me- it won't move, i left it at xyz.

awesome. i call the dealer who had it before, dude i talk to goes YEP, says here what we replaced is under a two year, unlimited mile warranty. AWESOME. THANKS! i setup a tow, get it brought in to that dealer.

different guy calls me "what'd you do to this thing, i can smell burned trans fluid"

uh jack shit man, i don't drive it and the tech that does is an older guy who isn't too hard on shit, what happened??

"welllll, that's the thing, it's not under warranty to pull it apart and look at it, only the clutches and valvebody we replaced are covered"

im like wait, removal, labor to rebuild, fluids, gaskets, reinstall, etc, are not covered by your "warranty"?

NOPE

I laugh on the phone, so wait, your warranty is basically useless then? "well no we warranty the parts we replaced" okkkkkayyy
then it gets better, dude tells me it's probably 8-10 weeks out from getting repaired because of lack of parts availability BeCAUse COviD K
i find a RAMMMMM corpo direct number, thinking maybe i may have some recourse with them... talk to a dude like 20-30 minutes, he comes back with "sorry, the warranty was between you and the dealer not us" more laughter from me.

two independent shops we use, i call them up, one says he can have it to me within two weeks, other says within a week and a half, 3 year 100k mile warranty.
k. send it to the week and a half guy. guy claims the trans wasn't rebuilt properly when RAMMMMm dealer had it.

but really at this point, what, if any, recourse do i have?

moral of the story, fuck ram. more pics coming.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Can't toot my own horn I guess. My truck had it's trans rebuilt a couple years ago. OD cylinder, clutch packs, valve body, and converter all replaced due to material being present everywhere.

All mine did was "squawk" going 3-4 or 5-3 but still moved under it's own power. So. +1 to Ford idiot.

id bet their warranty covers teh whole trans though if you ever have something come up.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
When i owned my ford fucktus I had similar issues with "warranty" as well. My car kept breaking shifter linkages, over and over, and they suggested there might be a problem with the transmission, which they replaced already, THEY REPLACED already.... They said they can take it apart and see, but it'll cost $XXXX dollhairs to check it out. WTF??? YOU PUT IT IN YOU MF'S....

"Well yeah, we did put it in, but the transmission warranty follows the b2b warranty from the factory, and your car doesn't have that warranty anymore"

"It was 2 months ago....."

"Yeah, as it turns out your car was a lemon at 7,000 miles so the b2b warranty is no longer exists, we made a mistake and didn't realize that"

IMO, fuck all domestic car warranties, it's all bullshit. They do everything in their power to fuck you instead of help you, trying to find as many things as possible to blame on YOU instead of just fixing the parts they claim to warranty.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yeah, that kinda damage doesn't just happen with normal use. That's fucked. I hate scummy repair shops.

I busted the Aamco in Lisle. The first time it went out was admittedly my fault. I was driving my LeSabre like a little asshole when I was 16, but I learned my lesson after that first bill. Sure enough, the thing was acting up again within a few weeks and I brought it back under warranty. Then again twice more. They continued to blame my driving habits and told me never to come back. A couple years pass, and the car no longer has third gear. I chose to just deal with it at that point because I was learning how to do repairs myself and had another car to drive if it genaded. I drove it that way for a year just revving second super high and letting off the gas so that it would go into OD. I even drove it back and forth from Lisle to Carbondale that way a couple times. It was a miracle that it survived.

I found a replacement Jasper tagged trans on ebay out of a 90k mile car and swapped it out one night after work. It then shifted nicer than it ever had before. Since I was taking Automatic Transmissions the following semester, I figured the old one was worth saving for inspection. When my lab partner and I opened it up, we discovered that a flat-faced roller bearing was installed backward which sent shit through everything. Even the case was brutally damaged. I would have loved to bring pieces and pictures back there to cuss them out, but the shop had since closed down and reopened under ne management. I doubt that crusty fuck of a manager was still alive anyway. That shop smelled worse than a bowling alley before all the smoking laws were in place. I still wouldn't go back there as a customer though.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
What are you guys want? Cars nowadays have so many extra gizmos gadgets and complicated components that you never come across a dealer Tech who has complete knowledge of transmissions....
One guy I know of basically does transmission rebuilds at 4 different dealerships. They remove everything and he just shows up does the transmission ovehaul and leaves.

Even though most of the time it gets sent back to the factory or Tier 1 supplier

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
My Dakota (stock) sploded it's trans at 60ish K miles. My wife's minivan we just traded in trans failed at 120K, and my rebuild was about to go at 160K. Chrysler transmissions are hot garbage.

In general quality is sub-par. The Van we just got has "rust" bubbles on leading edge of hood at 40K miles...hood is aluminum....lol. It is now retrofitted with shiny new bug deflector.

Also, the "new" van's headlight output is shitty. So I upgraded bulbs. To find out headlight output is PWM controlled. No matter what bulb you put in it will be shitty. So I have to modify it with a seperate relay harness. What kind of engineers to they employ?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Also, the "new" van's headlight output is shitty. So I upgraded bulbs. To find out headlight output is PWM controlled. No matter what bulb you put in it will be shitty. So I have to modify it with a seperate relay harness. What kind of engineers to they employ?

GM does that as well, candle lit lights on my halogen equipped Tahoe, put in HID kit, freaks out the BCM so I needed “canbus” modules. However I have since adjusted the tune on my BCM, should be good to go now. There might be something you can do with AlphaOBD.

IMG_3521.jpg

But GM’s 6L80 trans are plagued with torque converters that (along with shitty programming-enabling the torque converter to lock up in every gear) causes the converter to eat itself and shed metal through the trans. I’ve since had the trans tune adjusted but am looking into getting the CTS-V / ZL1 converter for it.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
GM does that as well, candle lit lights on my halogen equipped Tahoe, put in HID kit, freaks out the BCM so I needed “canbus” modules. However I have since adjusted the tune on my BCM, should be good to go now. There might be something you can do with AlphaOBD.

View attachment 80680

But GM’s 6L80 trans are plagued with torque converters that (along with shitty programming-enabling the torque converter to lock up in every gear) causes the converter to eat itself and shed metal through the trans. I’ve since had the trans tune adjusted but am looking into getting the CTS-V / ZL1 converter for it.
Question, on the GMT-900 platform do you have the ability to disable the low resistance “hyper flash” for when incandescent bulbs (turn, parking, brake) are replaced with LED?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info