• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2016 GMC Canyon 4WD issue

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
The other day I stopped in a drive through and when I turned the wheels it basically stopped itself. Foot off the brake it wouldn't roll on its own. When they were straight is was fine, it drove fine, but wheels turned a good amount it would need some pedal to move. During my drive home later my service 4WD light came on, which is odd since its just in 2WD all the time (not even auto). I did turn it off and start again and got the light again. The following morning I didn't have the light right away, and was able to put it into 4 high, and then back to 2WD with no issue. Then later in my drive it came back on again.

I think its 100% confirmed that the issue is with the 4WD. I haven't had time to really dig into it at all yet, but this morning it pretty much confirmed itself. It seems to do it when I turn the wheel further than normal driving if that tells you guys anything. In fact, I think it has only happened when turning the wheel to the left, but I am not 100% sure on that. Anyway, this morning I was in the drive though and of course was turned pretty tight left to make the corner and it started doing the same shit. I just happened to catch this on the dash though.

20200826_063904-X4.jpg

But this was my selector (of course)
20200826_063924-X4.jpg

Then after I left the service 4WD light came back on. I got a pic of it, but we all know what that looks like. I am going to try and get it up on my lift, or my neighbors lift tonight. Hopefully its something I can see pretty easy. My scanner can do CAN-BUS, but does not talk with the power train modules. It seems a bit iffy if the cheaper scanners can actually pull the codes I need or not. I am willing to spend some money to get the tools to diagnose stuff like this because they are always handy to have around, but I cant quite justify spending over $1,000 for how little Id use it. If there is something that for sure does what I need for say 100-200 I will grab it to make my life easier.

This is a 2016 Canyon, crew cab, long bed diesel. I have about 69,000 miles on it right now. I am also having the trans shudder issue lately, not sure if that is freaking out something in the 4WD system as well?

Basically where should I start looking, what diagnosis can I do myself before having to bring it in? Never messed with an electronic 4WD system before.

Thanks,
Sean

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
What trans does it have? 8 speed has a TSB about shudder and they recommend some version of mobil trans fluid to “correct” the issue.

The 4Wd sounds like it’s trying to go into 4 low when you turn the wheel even though you have it in 2wd, I’m thinking a wiring issue, but hopefully someone has further insight.

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
What trans does it have? 8 speed has a TSB about shudder and they recommend some version of mobil trans fluid to “correct” the issue.

The 4Wd sounds like it’s trying to go into 4 low when you turn the wheel even though you have it in 2wd, I’m thinking a wiring issue, but hopefully someone has further insight.
Its a diesel, so its the 6 speed trans. Its the same issue though, and a fluid flush and change usually takes care of it. It doesn't really bother me and hasn't been doing it long so I haven't jumped on fixing it yet. I want to replace the pan when I get around to it. That thing is like $400 though, and I'm cheap :)

I am hoping its a dumb wiring issue. I hear there is a harness that goes over the transfer case that causes some issues on these. I really hope I get it up on a lift and can see an obvious problem right away. Otherwise diagnosing it is going to suck more than the repair.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Broke EF
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list