2016 Chevrolet Suburban HD To Be Offered Exclusively For Fleets

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The IRS Expo's out-tow their GM counterparts.

My parent's have experience towing with an IRS Expo, and it wasn't great. Was that down to the trailer and truck combo and some inexperience towing? Probably. But I don't think the IRS hampers towing at all. Shit, even the 5.4 Expo's were rated north of 9000 pounds.

Other question, were these HD Burb's 4-speed or 6-speed?

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
The IRS Expo's out-tow their GM counterparts.

My parent's have experience towing with an IRS Expo, and it wasn't great. Was that down to the trailer and truck combo and some inexperience towing? Probably. But I don't think the IRS hampers towing at all. Shit, even the 5.4 Expo's were rated north of 9000 pounds.

Other question, were these HD Burb's 4-speed or 6-speed?

It said 6L90E, so 6 speed just like the HD trucks.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The rumor (Again, nothing in concrete), is a standard solid rear axle for lower tier T2's and IRS for upscale T2 trims (which obviously includes the Escalade).

As to towing, one can argue "tow ratings" all day. It's all just chest beating at a certain point. Ford and GM (and any other manufacturer), don't have to meet a certain SAE or other "standard" measure of towing to be on equal grounding. Meaning there isn't a standard test with special equipment that all have to use to get their rating. It's really just one manufacturer saying "Fuck you, we can pull 8k!" Then the other going "No, fuck you, we can pull 9k..."

And it isn't about only about power. Because for example, a 2WD, 5.3L Yukon XL with the max trailering package is "Rated" at 8,300 pounds. Whereas a 6.2L 2WD Yukon XL with the max trailering package is "Rated" at 8,100 pounds.... Uh yea... I'm sure we all know that the 6.2 has more cojones in it to pull way more than a 5.3... It's all about what the manufacturer feels is "SAFE" for normal operation of the vehicle. I mean, shit, I'm sure you could strap a 16,000 pound trailer to a Suburban/Yukon XL with the 6.2 and it'd move the trailer. That doesn't mean I want to cross the country with that weight behind me...

With that said, I would rather tow with a solid rear axle. And truth be told, if you really need to move 8,000 or 9,000 pound trailer on a frequent basis, I'm looking at other options out there vs. a full-size SUV.

Oh, and one stat GM offers on theirs (the K2's), is axle capacity. GM lists their rear axle at 4,200 - 4,300 pounds. Ford doesn't offer that information. At least I haven't found it anyway.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Spy shots (31 of them) of both SWB and LWB Escalade...

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/14/2020-cadillac-escalade-spy-photos/#slide-7486595

As I look at the pictures closer, both, to me, look like Chevy's. Not Cadillac's. Look closely at the bar across the grille and the plastic mesh. That's a Chevy design theme.

2020-cadillac-escalade-1.jpg

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I’m sure the 2020 will look hot! I love my 2017 Suburban and was considering a Denali XL next but if I’m spending that much I may as well step up to an ESV. It’s really not that much more if you look at them side by side. I kinda regret not doing that with the 17 but oh well. Not like the Suburban is a slouch. I’ve had the last 3 generations and have to admit they keep getting better. The drive ability and ride is lightyears ahead of my old 2005, 2007 etc.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The rumor (Again, nothing in concrete), is a standard solid rear axle for lower tier T2's and IRS for upscale T2 trims (which obviously includes the Escalade).

As to towing, one can argue "tow ratings" all day. It's all just chest beating at a certain point. Ford and GM (and any other manufacturer), don't have to meet a certain SAE or other "standard" measure of towing to be on equal grounding. Meaning there isn't a standard test with special equipment that all have to use to get their rating. It's really just one manufacturer saying "Fuck you, we can pull 8k!" Then the other going "No, fuck you, we can pull 9k..."

And it isn't about only about power. Because for example, a 2WD, 5.3L Yukon XL with the max trailering package is "Rated" at 8,300 pounds. Whereas a 6.2L 2WD Yukon XL with the max trailering package is "Rated" at 8,100 pounds.... Uh yea... I'm sure we all know that the 6.2 has more cojones in it to pull way more than a 5.3... It's all about what the manufacturer feels is "SAFE" for normal operation of the vehicle. I mean, shit, I'm sure you could strap a 16,000 pound trailer to a Suburban/Yukon XL with the 6.2 and it'd move the trailer. That doesn't mean I want to cross the country with that weight behind me...

With that said, I would rather tow with a solid rear axle. And truth be told, if you really need to move 8,000 or 9,000 pound trailer on a frequent basis, I'm looking at other options out there vs. a full-size SUV.

Oh, and one stat GM offers on theirs (the K2's), is axle capacity. GM lists their rear axle at 4,200 - 4,300 pounds. Ford doesn't offer that information. At least I haven't found it anyway.

but tow ratings are actually standardized now though.

REALLY neat write up... i may make a separate thread with this info... it's pretty awesome.

SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info