• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2013 Shelby GT500 Baseline Dyno - First Independent Dyno Video on YouTube - Livernois

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
I think the main thing it to not have issues with an aggressive tune. Bad gas and you can have a warranty claim on a motor. I also think it gives them room to add power ratings year after year with out any hardware changes. Simple tune change and it can be rated at 670hp. And 680 the year after it. As well as plenty of other reasons I am sure.

But with a 10% driveline loss is very impressive. Or the motor makes more than 662hp it is rated at. More like 700hp. lol

Makes sense. I have no problem believing that motor can make 700hp. I just don't buy the 10%< drivetrain loss.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
There are substantial differences between a '12 GT500 and a '13 GT500 powertrain besides just the blower that sits atop the motor. Most of them seem to be related to longevity/durability at the elevated power levels. Just something to consider when comparing the two models.

I Agree. It's also interesting how the transmission is geared. It can complete the quarter mile in 3rd gear. It also has 3.31 gear in the rear end.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
I don't think drivetrain loss should be a straight percentage. There is no reason that drivetrain loss should be more than 50-60hp regardless of the peak power output. Sure, higher HP cars can have heavier drivetrain components that suck more power, but no way a car is losing over 100hp to "drivetrain losses".

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Nothing new. The limits of the block have been known for a long time. The fact that they went to the plasma transferred Arc cylinder walls is the only reason it got this big. With a conventional aluminum block and steel liners you would not be able to run that big of a bore. And lets not forget that they are making about 13.5# of boost from what customers are seeing. So even though the blower has the smallest blower pulley on it already they can throw on a larger crank pulley and make more boost/power.

They are testing the 5.0 with a TVS already. The Cobra Jet is available with that combo in it. So I would not be surprised if future SVT mustangs don't include the 5.0 or similar variant. If not some type of Eco-boost motor.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
some eye candy for you guys. Just off the truck.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Nothing new. The limits of the block have been known for a long time. The fact that they went to the plasma transferred Arc cylinder walls is the only reason it got this big. With a conventional aluminum block and steel liners you would not be able to run that big of a bore. And lets not forget that they are making about 13.5# of boost from what customers are seeing. So even though the blower has the smallest blower pulley on it already they can throw on a larger crank pulley and make more boost/power.

They are testing the 5.0 with a TVS already. The Cobra Jet is available with that combo in it. So I would not be surprised if future SVT mustangs don't include the 5.0 or similar variant. If not some type of Eco-boost motor.

That's the only thing that worries me about these cars is that they don't have a conventional cyl liner in them. I wonder what will happen when people really start to push them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info