• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 P0024 and P000D

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I think I have this licked but wanted to share in case anyone else on the interwebs, or here, finds this useful. 2012 Subaru Impreza hatch with the 2.0-liter, FB20.

Symptoms:
  • P0024 and P000D check engine light came on at the same time as the stability control light and flashing cruise control. I'd reset the check engine light and in a few cycles it would come right back on.
  • Hard starting
  • Occasionally wouldn't start on the first try
  • Loss of power, surging while accelerating and hesitation
  • After browsing forums, I saw that the oil control valves are prone to failure - they actuate the cam phasers for the variable valve timing; Subaru calls its variable valve timing Active Valve Control System (AVCS).
A86A938F-E61E-4461-A39E-97C6163D159D.png

848CE425-4C1E-41A7-A186-154E13184BBD.png

12965448-465D-483D-954F-3495B00F6517.jpeg

There are a few way to test how well the sensor is working, including monitoring it with a scanner, but only scanners that use Subaru Select Monitor can read the sensor, and I didn't have it. I also found an ohm spec, but couldn't get my new multimeter to ohm out the sensor (user error, for sure).

So, I decided to buy one of these oil control valves ($111 after tax at the Subaru dealer, which they had in stock), and slap it in and see if it works. There are four oil control valves - one for each camshaft - and the code was showing it was camshaft B on bank 2. Bank two is the driver's side, and I assumed cam B would be on the bottom, exhaust cam. Some internet forum sleuthing confirmed this.

0DAC32B1-A57C-4CFD-8BBD-F677311D9D5B.jpeg

All in all, it took about 10 minutes to replace, including popping the hood and disconnecting the battery. Unplug the sensors, two 10 mm bolts and it came out. The new part didn't come with new o-rings so I transferred the old o-rings from the old one to the new one and threw it in.

And it seems to be woking fine. No more hard starts, power is back, hesitation is gone. Have only driven it a few times so far but no pending codes. Will update if it comes back.

Exactly the same as the FA20 engine in the BRZ/FR-S/86

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Bru
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list