• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2011 Fusion issues....

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
My sister bought a 2011 Fusion Sport with the 3.5L engine and we are having a brake issue and a engine stalling issue.
First the brake issue. The brake pedal is soft and with the engine running I can push the pedal to almost the floor before i get good pressure. With engine off I can pump the pedal 3 or 4 times and still have a little bit of travel in the pedal before it is very firm. I have inspected the brakes for leaks and every is dry. I have bleed the brakes 4 time and electronic bleed the Abs module. I’m thinking master cylinder or swelling brake hose.

Second engine stalling issue. Very randomly, always at idle the engine will just stall like you would turn the key. No sputters or rough idle. It literally just quits running and you can restart it right away like nothing happened. Lots of Google suggested throttle body and i replaced that with no change. I replaced the MAF because i had cleaned the original MAF and the issue seemed to get better but wasn’t fully resolved. No codes at all! I can’t figure it out.
Any help would be great!

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
My sister bought a 2011 Fusion Sport with the 3.5L engine and we are having a brake issue and a engine stalling issue.
First the brake issue. The brake pedal is soft and with the engine running I can push the pedal to almost the floor before i get good pressure. With engine off I can pump the pedal 3 or 4 times and still have a little bit of travel in the pedal before it is very firm. I have inspected the brakes for leaks and every is dry. I have bleed the brakes 4 time and electronic bleed the Abs module. I’m thinking master cylinder or swelling brake hose.
Second engine stalling issue. Very randomly, always at idle the engine will just stall like you would turn the key. No sputters or rough idle. It literally just quits running and you can restart it right away like nothing happened. Lots of Google suggested throttle body and i replaced that with no change. I replaced the MAF because i had cleaned the original MAF and the issue seemed to get better but wasn’t fully resolved. No codes at all! I can’t figure it out.
Any help would be great!

Master cylinder issue causing vacuum leak to kill the engine?

Now that I think about it I remember back when I worked in a shop we had a Ford Edge 2010 maybe? pre face lift, whatever year it was, that did something similar and ended up being the ABS block, assembly, module, whatever it is called (NOT the ebcm / computer). Our tech tried everything to get proper pedal and eventually we drove it to the dealer and they fixed it.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
So there is a recall on the Fusion ABS block but it only covers 06-2010 and the symptoms are different. The issue with those under the recall is that the brake pedal will randomly drop to the floor after an abs event. My issue is the soft pedal all the time.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
So there is a recall on the Fusion ABS block but it only covers 06-2010 and the symptoms are different. The issue with those under the recall is that the brake pedal will randomly drop to the floor after an abs event. My issue is the soft pedal all the time.

This wasn’t after an abs event though, this was a constant soft pedal. Something with the module not allowing proper bleeding. Was 2 years ago so I don’t remember 100%...

Reactions: smug and bikrboy128

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
This wasn’t after an abs event though, this was a constant soft pedal. Something with the module not allowing proper bleeding. Was 2 years ago so I don’t remember 100%...
Ahhh well you might be on to something. More research shows the HCU are shit on Fords and a valve can stick open causing a soft pedal

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I never heard of a HCU before this year but replaced 2 within months one on a 09 Mercury Mountaineer and another in a 07 Navigator. The Mountaineer pedal was soft all the time even after new brakes (pads/rotors/calipers) and hoses. Ford replaced HCU ($600) and programmed it and did power flush and the pedal was much better but to be honest not as solid as I expected. The Navigator had a normal pedal feel but no brake fluid went to front passenger caliper. We disconnected caliper and pressed brake pedal and not a drop of fluid came out of brake hose. This HCU was over 1k so local brake and muffler shop owner recommended I replace it with a used ($75) one and he got some guy to program it for $100 and they did a simple bleed and it was rock hard pedal. My Ford mechanic said programming used HCU's wasn't possible but was proved wrong. I believe dirty contaminated fluid clogs the solenoid valves in the HCU.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
All this to change a $20 sensor inside the heater box to make the A/C work again. What a terrible design

550FDA6E-6879-4B69-B3CE-E74D8F26CFFA.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info