2011 Fusion issues....

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
My sister bought a 2011 Fusion Sport with the 3.5L engine and we are having a brake issue and a engine stalling issue.
First the brake issue. The brake pedal is soft and with the engine running I can push the pedal to almost the floor before i get good pressure. With engine off I can pump the pedal 3 or 4 times and still have a little bit of travel in the pedal before it is very firm. I have inspected the brakes for leaks and every is dry. I have bleed the brakes 4 time and electronic bleed the Abs module. I’m thinking master cylinder or swelling brake hose.

Second engine stalling issue. Very randomly, always at idle the engine will just stall like you would turn the key. No sputters or rough idle. It literally just quits running and you can restart it right away like nothing happened. Lots of Google suggested throttle body and i replaced that with no change. I replaced the MAF because i had cleaned the original MAF and the issue seemed to get better but wasn’t fully resolved. No codes at all! I can’t figure it out.
Any help would be great!

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
My sister bought a 2011 Fusion Sport with the 3.5L engine and we are having a brake issue and a engine stalling issue.
First the brake issue. The brake pedal is soft and with the engine running I can push the pedal to almost the floor before i get good pressure. With engine off I can pump the pedal 3 or 4 times and still have a little bit of travel in the pedal before it is very firm. I have inspected the brakes for leaks and every is dry. I have bleed the brakes 4 time and electronic bleed the Abs module. I’m thinking master cylinder or swelling brake hose.
Second engine stalling issue. Very randomly, always at idle the engine will just stall like you would turn the key. No sputters or rough idle. It literally just quits running and you can restart it right away like nothing happened. Lots of Google suggested throttle body and i replaced that with no change. I replaced the MAF because i had cleaned the original MAF and the issue seemed to get better but wasn’t fully resolved. No codes at all! I can’t figure it out.
Any help would be great!
Master cylinder issue causing vacuum leak to kill the engine?

Now that I think about it I remember back when I worked in a shop we had a Ford Edge 2010 maybe? pre face lift, whatever year it was, that did something similar and ended up being the ABS block, assembly, module, whatever it is called (NOT the ebcm / computer). Our tech tried everything to get proper pedal and eventually we drove it to the dealer and they fixed it.

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
So there is a recall on the Fusion ABS block but it only covers 06-2010 and the symptoms are different. The issue with those under the recall is that the brake pedal will randomly drop to the floor after an abs event. My issue is the soft pedal all the time.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
Reaction score
Water pump failure on these is a dice roll with expensive repair costs.

PANDA

Reaction score
Welcome back smug.

Might have to have a dealer scan it for codes. Sounds like a issue with the brake system.

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
So there is a recall on the Fusion ABS block but it only covers 06-2010 and the symptoms are different. The issue with those under the recall is that the brake pedal will randomly drop to the floor after an abs event. My issue is the soft pedal all the time.
This wasn’t after an abs event though, this was a constant soft pedal. Something with the module not allowing proper bleeding. Was 2 years ago so I don’t remember 100%...

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
This wasn’t after an abs event though, this was a constant soft pedal. Something with the module not allowing proper bleeding. Was 2 years ago so I don’t remember 100%...
Ahhh well you might be on to something. More research shows the HCU are shit on Fords and a valve can stick open causing a soft pedal

AWDCD3

Reaction score
Ahhh well you might be on to something. More research shows the HCU are shit on Fords and a valve can stick open causing a soft pedal
This.
Same thing happened to my 2009. The only thing that fixed it was a new block and proper bleeding.

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
This.
Same thing happened to my 2009. The only thing that fixed it was a new block and proper bleeding.
Did you replace the HCU only or also replace the electronic module and reprogram?

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
Next weekend I’ll have the car to chance the HCU and what ever else i can find

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
My Flex, which I know different chassis, wouldn't bleed, and I constantly had a soft pedal. Apparently Ford has to bleed the brakes through the HCU because it does whatever dance with the ABS module. They also ended up replacing my HCU because it was bad....

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
What age and mileage were you two replacing the HCU?

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
120k miles and ~7 years old, but it’s a known common failure item for both the Taurus and fusion chassis cars

rowekmr

TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
I never heard of a HCU before this year but replaced 2 within months one on a 09 Mercury Mountaineer and another in a 07 Navigator. The Mountaineer pedal was soft all the time even after new brakes (pads/rotors/calipers) and hoses. Ford replaced HCU ($600) and programmed it and did power flush and the pedal was much better but to be honest not as solid as I expected. The Navigator had a normal pedal feel but no brake fluid went to front passenger caliper. We disconnected caliper and pressed brake pedal and not a drop of fluid came out of brake hose. This HCU was over 1k so local brake and muffler shop owner recommended I replace it with a used ($75) one and he got some guy to program it for $100 and they did a simple bleed and it was rock hard pedal. My Ford mechanic said programming used HCU's wasn't possible but was proved wrong. I believe dirty contaminated fluid clogs the solenoid valves in the HCU.

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
I replaced one on my parents 09 Fusion years ago but the problem was intermittent. 10 years later Ford has issues a recall for this exact problem. This seems to be a real common problem across all Fords from that era.

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
I replaced the HCU, electronic bled the HCU a couple times and them bled the entire brake system and the brakes are great now. Now there is a wheel bearing noise that no one told me about until the car was dropped off. Ugh never ending

torquelover

Reaction score
Probably a rear wheel bearing. And these like to eat rear brakes too might as well check those as well.

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
After chasing my tail with wheel bearings i replaced both front press in bearings. The bad one was the left front

OP
smug

smug

Reaction score
All this to change a $20 sensor inside the heater box to make the A/C work again. What a terrible design

550FDA6E-6879-4B69-B3CE-E74D8F26CFFA.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom