GM 2007 Equinox, what's this noise?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
Is this what a bad wheel bearing sounds like? I had heard that a bad wheel bearing might make more of a tire vibration/rubbing sound, so I'm not sold on it.

It almost sounds like bad brakes, but she had here brakes done about three years ago and doesn't really drive the car very far for work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jCRP4is8I

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
its pretty hard to tell from the video. i assume it gets louder as speed increases? have you tried swerving left and right, does the noise change? that loads up each front bearing (swerve left loads up the right side, right loads the left)

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to pick up until 25+ mph. I'll have to try driving it and putting load on either side.

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
The best way I describe a wheel bearing noise is that it kind of sounds like an old school propeller plane. But considering I do like 2 of those bearings a week I'd assume that's what it is. And I'm not sure what they made that generation Equinox metal from, but it sees to rust and siege at 10x the normal rate of any other vehicle. Sometimes just getting the wheels off can be a chore

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Reaction score
How many miles on the car?

My lady has a 2007 Equinox V6 with 165,xxx miles and it ended up being the wheel bearings. We also changed the sway bar links. Good luck.

HILROD

Reaction score
i worked on a 3.4 Monte that cracked an upper intake. Squealed and screeched just like that. Mostly under a load.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
I never posted an update. I changed all the brakes on the car and the noise went away. The pads/rotors still probably had enough to make it through the summer, but they were worn.

I noticed on the one suspect wheel that when I turned it, there was some odd noise and it would catch on something while turning. Once I took off the old rotor and pads, it turned smoothly. I'm not quite sure what it was, but the noise has not come back since. The pads weren't even really that worn down in the back, probably 50%.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom