🔧 BUILD 2003 Ford Mustang GT

General Information

New ride …. New teaser thread …. What is it?

1688879697387.png
  • Haha
Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Where do you get the wrap
The wrap was from Americanmuscle.com it was pre cut. Couldn’t beat the price of $130.00.

Son and his friends said it was a super easy to put down.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Love this. Would absolutely do 3.73's in the rear tho, evidently these things wake up big time with a shorter rear gear... Wait he's 16? Ehh maybe just CAI and mufflers 😂
3.73 is a great upgrade, just be aware you'll also have to get the rear gear corrected in the PCM, so tuning, or another modifier. Depending on what wheel you choose, some look better in 17, others 18 in this chassis.
I have my son on the hunt for a used CAI, catless H-pipe and cat back on marketplace / mustang Facebook groups local to us.

3.73’s would definitely wake this car up, when i drive his car I’m just waiting for the power to come on… and it doesn’t lol .

He would like to go 18’s , I’m sold on 17’s, would go with a staggered setup either way with 9’s up front and 10’s rear.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
3.73 is a great upgrade, just be aware you'll also have to get the rear gear corrected in the PCM, so tuning, or another modifier. Depending on what wheel you choose, some look better in 17, others 18 in this chassis.
Also would a handheld tuner would be useless on this 4.6? Not sure if I would get anything out of getting one beside a gear swap and possible fans turning on early. Unlike a LS car where the tune changes every thing.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Also would a handheld tuner would be useless on this 4.6? Not sure if I would get anything out of getting one beside a gear swap and possible fans turning on early. Unlike a LS car where the tune changes every thing.
It's basically impossible to get more HP out of an na 2v 4.6, so don't waste your money trying. Even if you put a blower on it the engine's safe limit is somewhere around 400whp before stuff starts breaking.

Gears and exhaust and cruise it. If you get tired of it being slow, it's engine & trans swap time.

Reactions: frank

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
It's basically impossible to get more HP out of an na 2v 4.6, so don't waste your money trying. Even if you put a blower on it the engine's safe limit is somewhere around 400whp before stuff starts breaking.

Gears and exhaust and cruise it. If you get tired of it being slow, it's engine & trans swap time.
That’s what I thought and known about the 2v motors, only gears to make them fun.

It’s just a cruiser, and lessons on how to work on your car for my son and his friends.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009

The gains aren't neck breaking, but the cars were factory tuned for 87oct, so 93oct tunes do help wake them up a bit. Since your car is auto though, tuning really helps correct the trans shifting and operation. Other then that, like you mentioned, fan temps, idle change, speedo, etc

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
The gains aren't neck breaking, but the cars were factory tuned for 87oct, so 93oct tunes do help wake them up a bit. Since your car is auto though, tuning really helps correct the trans shifting and operation. Other then that, like you mentioned, fan temps, idle change, speedo, etc
These 4r70w trans’s are okay but seems to always be hunting for that OD between 35-40mph. Did a trans service, might be due for another flush out and a possible shift point change.

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield

They arent that bad... I had an 02 motor in my 98, and with long tubes, decent cat back, upper plenum, and a tune I made 271/305 to the wheels and ran 12.70's with a 5 speed. Certainly not fast by today's standards, but quick enough to have a bit of fun with.

Reactions: frank

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Ordered some parts for the car , pypes cat back exhaust, oil filter housing adapter gasket, fresh oil change and coolant flush. Both needed after the gasket swap.

Found my power steering leak, rack is leaking on passenger side through the boot. Not much to do here bedside a reman rack which I wasn’t planning on doing but no other choice…. Unless someone knows a quick fix and a new boot.

IMG_9683.jpeg

Oil filter housing gasket was leaking just enough where I was concerned due to oil leaking, wasn’t all that bad to do, had to drain off the coolant which I’m not a fan of using the petcock to drain off but ford made it simple to do.

IMG_9682.jpeg

IMG_9684.jpeg

Reactions: IDAFC21 and cdh027

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Next order will arrive tomorrow later afternoon, lowering springs, shocks and struts, caster camber plates, and new wheels and tires.

And hope to find a rack in the morning at the parts store near me and hope they can order and can pick up tomorrow. Looking to see if they still have 03-04 cobra racks and will upgrade to one of those.

Needs new sway bar bushings as they are worn, see if I can get those local.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
After a few days in and out of the garage it’s done … for now.

SR Lowering springs 1-1.5 drop
SR shocks / struts
18x9 & 18x10 matte black saleen’s
Reman rack and pinion
Oil filer adapter gasket
Fresh oil change
Coolant flush
P/s flush
Pypes exhaust
Front end alignment

And only issue we had was a ball joint castle nut that did not want to go back on, so we did pressed in a new ball joint.

Was planning on doing new front control arms but was not even close to breaking those bolts loose.

Alignment shop said they will install my camber caster plates as they are familiar with them and don’t mind aftermarket parts. Which is good.

Finished lol so far.

IMG_9690.jpeg

Thread Info