2001 Nissan Pathfinder dies on cold start

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
2001 Pathfinder with 155k on the clock. Starts right up when cold but does not idle and dies. If I start it and lightly hold the gas pedal it will idle just fine on it's own after about 10-15 seconds. Also, the power steering belt squeaks when cold starting. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I had a first gen Xterra with the same motor, and I recall there was a common issue with these VG motors:

What to Look For When Buying a GEN1 Xterra - Nissan Xterra Forum

Specifically I think of this section:

Thermo Control Element The TCE, also referred to as the wax pellet, is located on the base of the of the throttle chamber and controls cold start idle. As the pellet expands as the engine warms up it lowers the mechanical idle. Over time the o-ring that seals them tends to start leaking coolant usually onto the ex manifold. It's often times an annoying coolant leak that can not be traced as there is no leaking coolant apparent but because coolant is being vaporized, as it hits the ex manifold, it leaves the distinct smell of antifreeze around the engine bay.

You can fix it yourself using basic hand tools and a $1 o-ring. The process of replacing it will generally take about 1-2 hours.

That's not the same EXACT issue that you describe, but the fact that this is a failure prone component that controls cold start idle is a 'Red Flag' to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info