2001 Nissan Pathfinder dies on cold start

Nay_Sayer

Reaction score
2001 Pathfinder with 155k on the clock. Starts right up when cold but does not idle and dies. If I start it and lightly hold the gas pedal it will idle just fine on it's own after about 10-15 seconds. Also, the power steering belt squeaks when cold starting. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
2001 Pathfinder with 155k on the clock. Starts right up when cold but does not idle and dies. If I start it and lightly hold the gas pedal it will idle just fine on it's own after about 10-15 seconds. Also, the power steering belt squeaks when cold starting. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I had a first gen Xterra with the same motor, and I recall there was a common issue with these VG motors:

What to Look For When Buying a GEN1 Xterra - Nissan Xterra Forum

Specifically I think of this section:

Thermo Control Element The TCE, also referred to as the wax pellet, is located on the base of the of the throttle chamber and controls cold start idle. As the pellet expands as the engine warms up it lowers the mechanical idle. Over time the o-ring that seals them tends to start leaking coolant usually onto the ex manifold. It's often times an annoying coolant leak that can not be traced as there is no leaking coolant apparent but because coolant is being vaporized, as it hits the ex manifold, it leaves the distinct smell of antifreeze around the engine bay.

You can fix it yourself using basic hand tools and a $1 o-ring. The process of replacing it will generally take about 1-2 hours.
That's not the same EXACT issue that you describe, but the fact that this is a failure prone component that controls cold start idle is a 'Red Flag' to me.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
neighbor had that issue, couldnt track it down. sold it on a warm day.

SMKE EM

Banned
Reaction score
Can also be an etc issue. Buy an obd2 datalogger check values of pids before starting cold

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
any codes being thrown? check the IAC, coolant leaking into the IAC shorts it out and toasts the ECM.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom