2000 Regal - 2004 4T80e

juniorN316

Feb 2, 2022
Always looking to share and learn more.
I've got a 2000 Buick Regal, have had one for quite some time now.
Through the years I've changed some stuff. Has a custom spec'd cam I designed many years ago, stock heads, e85, big fuel pump, etc... Fast forward to today and I am balls deep in a 4T80e swap.
The car also has a borg 372, turbo headers, dual wastegates, and a 4" exhaust. Used to be a comp 6765 with 3" exhaust and log manifolds. On the old combo the car was ~700whp and snapped a GMR 1200 input shaft in the old 65e.

There have been a great number of challenges with regard to this swap, but after about 18 months she is finally on the road and working out the kinks.
I don't have an official write up or anything (I'm fkn tired, tbh) but if you want info just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

I'm also looking for some info;

having trouble getting the TCC to lockup
car used to run fine but now when the MAP hits 200kpa she cuts out

Can post video/pics and whatnot.
Any info, help, comments, questions are welcome.

Thanks for reading

Ktj100

Jul 14, 2021
I don't think anything special was done to mine to get the TCC to lock up. I have a precision single clutch billet converter and it locks up solidly.
I'll shoot the original builder a message and see if he had any issues with it.

Have you verified with a multimeter and back probes that you are not getting the lock signal at the trans connector? I know it would be a big pain to go through that process but I figure I'd ask.

Also just want to verify, original 2000 PCM with a 2004 trans?

juniorN316

Feb 2, 2022
I’ve not checked the circuits with a multimeter.
I also have the precision lock up converter for the 80e.

When commanding lockup with HPT, she does not lock up.

Not sure on if temps are hot enough, was on a 20 minute ride and it wouldn’t engage.
No codes.

And to verify, 2000 regal PCM, 2004 80e.
Steven, Charles, and myself recently cracked the code on how to get the shift logic done in the tune.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah TCC apply changes with cold TFT

have you changed the apply rate table in tiny to on/off 100% to get rid of the 65e carbon fiber TCC slip strategy used on the 98+ pcm's (its why you shouldnt use a kevlar clutch trans of the 97 and older with the newer pcm's...the older kevlar was able to handle slip for short periods of time, the carbon clutches allow for far more slippage for OE NVH requirments.

i always wanted to be able to spend time with the trans type table in tiny to see if there's an 80e component in the OS as these pcm's do share alot with the FWD v8 PCM's....and they did use the same teams for development of all 4 generations of ECU/PCMs around then with the OBD/EOBD rollout from 93-01

i use a low current NC SSR to power a 10amp NO Solid State Relay as an inversion gate

welcome to the asylum

Regards, James

Reactions: TurboTPI

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
That seems dumb the entire front cover is billet. it's not exactly difficult to punch in a three hole 265 millimeter bolt circle pattern

Regardless I'm stoked the 4t80e is getting the love it deserves

Edit
To clarify when I CNC cut the 4 bolt 4t80e torque converter pattern into the two Billet meziere flex plates on the twin-engine olds....it took about 3 minutes to program it. It would be just as easy to do the same with the three bolt pattern.

Reactions: GTPpower
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info