2 CPD officers killed by train while investigating shooting near tracks

b00sted

He's Still Your President
Reaction score
2 CPD officers killed by train while investigating shooting near tracks - Story | WFLD

Two Chicago police officers were killed when they were struck by a Metra train Monday evening on the Far South Side, sources said.

Shortly after 6 p.m., the officers responded to a call of shots fired near the tracks near 103rd Street and Dauphin, sources said. While they were investigating, they were struck by the train, officials said.

The officers were pronounced dead at the scene, officials said.

About 6:20 p.m., Metra officials were informed that the victims had been struck by eastbound South Shore Line train 119, which left Millennium Station at 5:58 p.m., according to Metra spokeswoman Sylvia Cooper. As a result, all power was shut down on the Metra Electric District Line from 69th Street to 115th Street.

Cooper said Electric District service in both directions would likely be down for “quite some time.”

At 6:33 p.m., a South Shore Line alert confirmed the train was halted on Metra property. Subsequent alerts confirmed that a pedestrian had been struck and that all trains on the South Shore line were stopped and facing “extended delays.”

Chicago Police planned a press conference for later Monday evening.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Damn trains are so hard to avoid...
In all seriousness; they probably didn’t hear it coming.

It was the Metra Electric, and they were responding to a gunfire call. Electric locos at low speed can be damn near silent and at night the engineer likely didn’t see them until the train was on top of them.

That being said; situational awareness should be a primary skill of a police officer.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yes guys. Once again, it was the cops fault and negligence....

Unreal.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I don't think this is a blame the cops all the time type of thing.

These guys fucked up. They were standing on tracks with running trains. No idea what the location was like but there has to be somewhere safer to stand than on the tracks. They focused on their objective but lacked focus on their location.

Doesn't mean all cops fuck up all the time.

For these young men, R.I.P. I feel sorry they are gone and their loved ones have lost them. My sister in law's brother is on the Chicago PD and he's one of the nicest guys you would ever meet so I understand how hard that must be.

Marko

Reaction score
RIP. but man an accident like this is so preventable. They have to worry about their own safety first.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Horrible, very sad. Prayers to their friends and family

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
OH GOOD I SEE TCG IS ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACKIN' THIS ONE

GOOOOD.

facefuckingpalm.gif

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
So, does this guy (the suspect that was apprehended) get charged with their deaths? I mean, while they are ultimately at fault for not being safe themselves, they wouldn't have been put in this situation had they not been chasing him?

Marko

Reaction score
So, does this guy (the suspect that was apprehended) get charged with their deaths? I mean, while they are ultimately at fault for not being safe themselves, they wouldn't have been put in this situation had they not been chasing him?
I agree. Man

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
I would assume yes, they will be charged with something related to their deaths

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
Since the suspect was committing a felony during the time, he'll get charged with felony murder for both of them. Any felony act that results in the death of someone automatically gets put on them.

His life is over.

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's as cut and dry as others in the thread have made it. I think the families of the officers could have a wrongful death civil suit, but to me, it would be a hard sell on criminal charges unless you could prove that the criminal intended for the cops to be hit by the train or physically pushed them into the train. At this point, it seems as though it's a tragic accident, but I think a good defense attorney could pretty easily argue away any additional criminal charges as a result of the deaths of the officers. But you'd have the ask a criminal attorney and not armchair legal experts on TCG...I've tried to do a cursory search on accidents involving police deaths that were not caused directly by the fleeing suspect, but by unrelated circumstances. Not much out there. Here's a situation linked below where an officer was killed in a traffic accident while pursuing a robbery suspect, but I can't find if any additional charges were brought against the suspect.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article221510255.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom