2:04 at Road America from that same crazy Corvette :)

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
If you haven't seen the downforce previously.

1633971942294.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Cars are coming out of the carousel and hard on the throttle. They might lift or take the brakes right before the kink, scrubbing a bit of speed.

The bikes are coming full tilt out of the carousel and have to stand hard on the binders to make the entry into the chicane. Smaller displacement bikes are dropping into 1st gear, then have to flip to the right and get back on the throttle. Larger bikes without nannies have to wait till they make that second apex and get the bike upright before winding open the throttle.

Guessing at least 100mph speed differential right where the chicane exit and kink exit meet. Plus you’re adding some distance with the chicane. It’s not much but you can’t discount it.

I ran the kink only one or twice before they put in the chicane. I can’t compare times because it was also two different bikes.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Cars are coming out of the carousel and hard on the throttle. They might lift or take the brakes right before the kink, scrubbing a bit of speed.

The bikes are coming full tilt out of the carousel and have to stand hard on the binders to make the entry into the chicane. Smaller displacement bikes are dropping into 1st gear, then have to flip to the right and get back on the throttle. Larger bikes without nannies have to wait till they make that second apex and get the bike upright before winding open the throttle.

Guessing at least 100mph speed differential right where the chicane exit and kink exit meet. Plus you’re adding some distance with the chicane. It’s not much but you can’t discount it.

I ran the kink only one or twice before they put in the chicane. I can’t compare times because it was also two different bikes.
I'm legit terrible at the chicane and high speed turns are one of my strengths. It's kind of cool to think that, riding the same layout, my big ass on a near-stock bike would prob run within 20-22 seconds of this vette lol. Yeah that's a lot of time but this is a pro driver in a six figure racecar and i'm a hobbyist on a stock motorcycle soooo yea.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
It's hard to get the bike setup to do both. You want the ability to have a quick turn in, but then you sacrifice high speed stability. So have to ask yourself where are you losing the most time and shift your setup to favor that.

With my smaller 600 it has more forgiveness and can be tossed around easier. When running against stock liter bikes in the same class I could pretty much run the same lap times. They'd pull hard on the straights and I'd draft them the best I could. But I could brake later, carry more corner speed, and be on the throttle sooner. Was always a fun game of cat and mouse.

And yeah, running the kink at full chat does take some years off your life if you go back and think about it. Kind of glad I didn't have the ability to run video at that time. Looking back at my recording of using the chicane, then slowing down the footage you see all the tire marks on the track, walls, etc. Plus all the impact marks. Best not think about it and focus on blitzing through Kettle Bottom and that sweet sweet Canada corner. Having the Billy Mitchell Bridge there was a pucker factor too. You got really close to the concrete when you ran through that complex. No bridge gives better visibility too.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Not gonna argue hypotheticals on lap times with two different vehicle classes and track layouts.

You can see right here where the Pro class is going through the chicane compared to the kink. It's about 10-11 seconds from the time they hit the brakes till they merge back. That's time and momentum lost.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I'm legit terrible at the chicane and high speed turns are one of my strengths. It's kind of cool to think that, riding the same layout, my big ass on a near-stock bike would prob run within 20-22 seconds of this vette lol. Yeah that's a lot of time but this is a pro driver in a six figure racecar and i'm a hobbyist on a stock motorcycle soooo yea.
He isn't a pro driver in that he has never been hired by a team or company to drive for them at least to my knowledge. It's his car that he built with some sponsorship I am sure. This is time attack and there are maybe 2 pro drivers that run the wheel 2 wheel class. Obviously the skill level of amateur racers is improving by quite a bit the past 10 years as seen by the times in Gridlife, SCCA, NASA and improving tire technology and the ability to practice a lot more via sim racing.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
He isn't a pro driver in that he has never been hired by a team or company to drive for them at least to my knowledge. It's his car that he built with some sponsorship I am sure. This is time attack and there are maybe 2 pro drivers that run the wheel 2 wheel class. Obviously the skill level of amateur racers is improving by quite a bit the past 10 years as seen by the times in Gridlife, SCCA, NASA and improving tire technology and the ability to practice a lot more via sim racing.

That's what I find impressive. It's a guy that's built it essentially built it with sponsors/shops.

A pro driver would certainly be faster, but I'm guessing this guy would be too with more laps at Road America.

Reactions: Intel

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The fastest I've ever gone around RA, was as a passenger. And that was in the low 2:3x, or high 2:2x range and that felt damned fast.

2:04 is cooking.

FYI, in the hands of a capable driver, stock C6Z's can bust off high 2:2x and are easily in the mid 2:3xs.. At those speeds though brake endurance is a problem. You'll cook the brakes in 2 to 3 laps at speed. Pads and fluid? all day long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info