1999 Astro - speedometer and driveline issue..

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
1999 Astro issue..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSl-CcbCei4

The problem is that at times, the speedometer jumps around while at cruising speeds. When it's doing this, the car stumbles/surges as if it's trying to find a lower gear if you try to accelerate even gently. When you put the pedal down to the floor, it makes it much more apparent. At around 40-45, it seems like it tries to go down into first gear. This issue doesn't happen at all in first gear which makes me for some reason think it's a vehicle speed sensor. On older cars, I would think it was the speedometer cable, but they stopped using those in like 92 or so on these. If I remember right, I think the only VSS on this vehicle is at the front of the driveline? Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Outlaw

Reaction score
Start with the speed sensor, a lot of GM's rely heavily on the VSS for drivability.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
I googled it, showing a reluctor wheel and the sensor itself. Could any kind of debris have somehow gotten in where it's at, or do you think the sensor just failed?

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
Speed sensor for sure. If it's anything like the old Fords it's used for torque converter lockup, gear selection, etc.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
What should I do with this?

Wire all fucked up. Only works in first and then I have to manually go to second

LSx S10

Reaction score
Cut out the section of wire that is rubbed through, solder it back together, heat shrink it.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
Factor in a nice reach around and I'll consider it, pretty boy :wavey:

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
fixed. also hung the fucking bajeesus out of the wire so this doesn't happen again.

also threw some royal purple in that bitch. :jg:

not baller enough for :amsoil:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom