🔧 BUILD 1989 Dodge Daytona ES TBI to Turbo Conversion

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
as a srt4 owner, I really enjoy this project.

Yeah, fwd Turbo Mopars or nothing.
1612474474343.png

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Holy shit that floor ?:LOL:

Nice patch work tho!

What I seriously don't understand is what the hole was for. The fuel pump is accesable from under the car. You can quite literally take the fuel pump out with a hammer and screw driver. That's it. You don't even have to put the car on jacks or anything, I literally swapped this pump out about 4 times since I got the car, not once did I jack the car up to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: IDAFC21

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Not much going on but figured I'd post an update and get some input:
First thing is figuring out what to do with the PCV system

And there's also a weird lean popping when revving up with no load. I might need to look at the tune but it's otherwise fine from what I can tell. No vacuum leaks as it sits between -17 to -20 inHg.

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Hey guys! I was hoping y'all could vote for my entry in the ICS2021 competition for Fastest Buck.
The Fastest Buck category is for a vehicle that is made to go fast with a little budget.
You can see my entry here:

When you click vote you will be asked to login to Google, Facebook, or to make an account.
Thanks!

Also made a new vacuum block.

Before:
1617021415068.png

After:
1617021438857.png

It's about $11 in materials and 11% off when you shop at Menards™, haha.

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Update!

Just been doing between work and family I've been getting a little bit done when I can. So I recently swapped the car over from the 58mm van throttle body to the factory 46mm one. It revs much easier, AFR is better, and the RPMs come done faster. Well... They did until I started to have trans issues haha.

So here's right after swapping the TB.

Then randomly the AFRs are always rich and the car started to make boost in neutral...

Well.... I think I found the issue...

Now, based on this diagram, I believe this means the direct drum is welded together now. Probably from foot braking it in the first video lol.

1621890251774.png

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
I thought you said the trans was sketch. Congrats on making some power with this. :rofl:

Is it possible that the TB is too big because of a tuning parameter? That'd be what I'd think but what do I know.

It was sketch, but I figured I'd atleast be able to turn the transmission into all neutrals. I got the exact opposite. :mad:

Tuning would fix it, but I really don't need that big of a TB until I get a ported intake manifold and maybe even head.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The part of your video where you're talking about the forums and information drying up is interesting. My advice is print out the gold as PDF Files and keep em for later; I've started doing that some times just because you never know what's gonna fall off the face of the earth these days.

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
The part of your video where you're talking about the forums and information drying up is interesting. My advice is print out the gold as PDF Files and keep em for later; I've started doing that some times just because you never know what's gonna fall off the face of the earth these days.

I actually use a program called HTTrack that lets you download entire websites for archiving. I've got most of the Turbo Dodges sites that I know of.

I pulled the engine in about an hour the other day, figured it was faster to pull the entire drivetrain. MUCH faster! I also need to swap out the steering rack, so this makes it even easier.

1623069234460.png1623069248343.png1623069266335.png

I also grabbed a 2000 Dodge Neon 3 speed auto to use for parts on my 1989 3 speed. The Neon one has 5 planet gears vs 4 in mine. Stronger bearings, bigger drums (more clutches), and a bunch of other goodies. The Neon 3 speed with some pressure increases and clutches have survived 500whp+ drag cars, so it should be fine in my maybe 250whp car.

You can some tid-bits about the 3 speed here:
web.archive.org/web/20040606090736/http://www.omniturbo.com:80/Mopar%20Pages/Tranny%20upgrades%20detail.htm

1623069754738.png

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
I'm enjoying learning about how Mopar stuff has so much interchangeability. It seems like there's so much potential to make fun cars using mostly stock parts, and yet for some reason old Mopar builds are not super common. Nice work!

People talk about how Hondas are like legos. This is like OG Hondas haha. You can pretty much interchange most things between 1982-2008 fwd Mopar stuff. Same thing for the V8 platform and transmissions. Pretty much any combo (except for BBM) of V8 engine and transmission can be swapped together from 1960ish to today.

Chrysler likes to do what I call "Tick Tock" method of upgrading stuff. They basically always use older parts or designs in newer stuff, so they are almost always able to swap between parts. That means most of the motor mounts, connecting rods, and so on are interchangeable between them all. It's all pretty crazy.

Back in the day it was a popular thing to take the older 2.5L short block and mate it to a DOHC Dodge Neon cylinder head.

Larry has done a pretty interesting spin on it, he's local to me but hard to get ahold of haha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info